No audio from video files with mp3 audio track. Ok for AC3
The system is a HP Pavillion dv6 with a clean installation of XBMCbuntu Beta3 upgraded (via Synaptic Package Manager) to Eden Final.
The system has AMD processor and ATI graphics card (details bellow). I know this is not the best configuration for XBMC but I want to use this laptop as a secondary xbmc for the bedroom.

I have a working mysql central installation for all my xbmc in the house. All video resources are centralized and shared via Windows (SMB) shares.

System-info (as provided by XBMC)
XBMC 11.0 Git Unkown (Compiled: Mar 23 2012)
OS: Linux 3.0.0-16-generic#29-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 14 12:49:42 UTC2012i686
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
OpenGL Version: 3.3.11005
CPU: AMD Turion Ultra Dual-Core Mobilie M600
Total Memory: 3528MB

The sound system is working fine outside xbmc, this meaning:
  • Ubuntu detects de sound card and displays a volume icon in the tray
  • I can change volume level both with tray icon and alsamixer
  • I can hear sound, for example, from Chrome when watching Youtube videos.

With in XBMC I selected the default sound option that was:
System -> System Configuration -> Audio Output:
Audio Output: Analog
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Audio Output Device: Defaults (ALSA)

With this configuration I get sound when I select any video file that has an AC3 or DTS audio stream. But I get an "Failed to initialize audio device. Check you audiosettings" error when I try any video file with an mp3 audio track.

Also I never get sound in the gui menus.

I have also tried many other audio configuration, including trying the ATI HDMI audio output with no better results.

When trying I make sure any other program is not using the sound system. The problem is the same with direct XBMC start-up or within the XBMCbuntu desktop.

I've searched this forum and haven't found anything that could help, so I decided to try and ask directly for hints on where to look or things to try...

The attached debug log includes the play of a working file with AC3 sound track (who framed Roger Rabit around 14:44:12) and one not working with mp3 audio track (Todo sobre mi madre on 14:44:31).

http://pastebin.com/mDG2Spi9

Hope it helps.

Thanks in advance,

jurrabi.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio from video files with mp3 audio track. Ok for AC30