cachemembuffersize questions
Does this parameter work on WAN sources mounted as local folders via nfs, smb etc...? i.e. everything coming through the NIC? Or just on streams - youtube, live TV etc?

And is the 5MB max hard-coded? Is it possible to increase this in some file and recompile?
it will work on anything. it can be increased via advancedsettings.xml (wiki)
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I can't seem to get this setting working. I experience small hickups where the movie stops for buffering and then after some second it continues again. Even if I pause the movie for quite some while the buffer doesn't seem to get filled up. I access my files via nfs, the xbmc htpc is Ubuntu based. Anyone with any good idea what I'm doing wrong? Pasting the contents of my advancedsettings.xml below. If I've calculated correctly this should be a 256MB buffer, which should be enough.

Quote:<advancedsettings>
<network>
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
<cachemembuffersize>268435456</cachemembuffersize>
</network>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

/Daniel

edit: Just noticed that when this happens I get lines like the following in the log. Maybe it's something else...

Quote:21:59:22 T:140080464873216 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
21:59:22 T:140080456480512 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
21:59:22 T:140080456480512 ERROR: GetDelay - snd_pcm_delay, alsa error: -32 - Broken pipe
(2012-08-03, 19:11)Daniel Malmgren Wrote: ... but I can't seem to get this setting working. I experience small hickups where the movie stops for buffering and then after some second it continues again.

Yes I've noticed this behavior as well. When examining the OSD during WAN files [Youtube] I can verify the cache operating. Not so with anything else over my LAN [SMB].
Just indicates 0B 100%
So I guess basically it doesn't work for files in library at all, just for files played through addons?

Just one thought here. I don't know much about the inner workings of xbmc, but has xbmc got any clue about whether the movie files being local or networked? I mean, it sees a file in a directory. In my case it's a nfs mounted directory, but for xbmc it's just a file in a path. Just thinking maybe xbmc only use this buffer mechanism for files it actually KNOWS to be remote?

Ned got any new input on the issue?

/Daniel
There is a PR for some fixes in the cache handling but it doesnt look like its going to get done anytime soon.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1388

Also FYI it says in advancedsettings.xml page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...network.3E

<cachemembuffersize>5242880</cachemembuffersize> <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams ahead in memory

I bolded the obvious setting comment there.

uNi

(2012-11-14, 20:10)Daniel Malmgren Wrote: So I guess basically it doesn't work for files in library at all, just for files played through addons?
yeah I googled
alwaysforcebuffer
which further explains the tale

Confused
(2012-11-14, 20:29)uNiversal Wrote: <cachemembuffersize>5242880</cachemembuffersize> <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams ahead in memory

I bolded the obvious setting comment there.

Sorry. I didn't really realize there was a difference. I kinda thought that also files played from my server were some kind of buffering streams. But I guess also stuff from my server gets cached somewhere somehow, is there no way of controlling that cache? Or is it all handled by underlying OS?

(2012-11-16, 06:24)Bunto Skiffler Wrote: alwaysforcebuffer
which further explains the tale

Sigh... Doesn't sound like something that we'll actually see in Frodo. Let's hope for Gwhatever then...

/Daniel
(2012-11-17, 16:26)Daniel Malmgren Wrote: Sigh... Doesn't sound like something that we'll actually see in Frodo. Let's hope for Gwhatever then...

IMHO this is a pretty signifcant handicap. Your cisco router becomes the equiv of its worst knockoff as far as XBMC QoS.

FWIW courtesy http://forum.stmlabs.com

Setting to 0 will enable writing the cache to disk.
Does anyone happen to know of a Windows binary with PR1388 applied? If this was unix, it would be simple enough but given my HTPC is based on AMD hardware, Linux is unlikely to ever work and I dont have a VC++ Environment Sad
(2012-12-24, 01:09)Ned Scott Wrote: Setting to 0 will enable writing the cache to disk.

Ok. But it still doesn't cache movies streamed from a nfs/cifs share, right?

/Daniel
It definitely does not cache in my case when streaming from CIFS share (in fact, it even stutters with some 720p material over SMB, never mind that the box otherwise gets a full 100mbit/s)... And I really do not feel like using FTP Sad Come to think of it, I will give uPNP a try (the SMB share is read only anyway)...

Does anyone know if mounted CIFS shares under Windows can be used with read-ahead buffers, that would presumably solve the issue, too.
I believe there is another pull request that will go in once v12 is released that will allow local shares to be cached, and thus (if I understand correctly) also be written to disk with this 0 option.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cachemembuffersize questions0