Any Eden PVR How-To Guides?
Hi folks,. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I'm very interested in taking my Win7 Eden 11.0 system and making it a full Linux Eden PVR system. I really don't know the first thing about how the PVR Builds work with Eden. Do I need to setup a PVR front/back end server first? If so what is recommended? If there is a how-To guide I would love to read up on this.

Currently I have Win7 and a rudimentary way setup using Advanced launcher to fire up Microsoft Media Center anytime we want to access Netflix or Live TV. Which brings up a good question. If I eliminate Media Center by switching to Ubuntu. WOuld I no longer have access to Netflix?

Thank you!

Brian.
I'm fairly certain if you give up Windows, you give up Netflix.
(2012-03-28, 03:15)dysan911 Wrote: Hi folks,. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I'm very interested in taking my Win7 Eden 11.0 system and making it a full Linux Eden PVR system. I really don't know the first thing about how the PVR Builds work with Eden. Do I need to setup a PVR front/back end server first? If so what is recommended? If there is a how-To guide I would love to read up on this.

Currently I have Win7 and a rudimentary way setup using Advanced launcher to fire up Microsoft Media Center anytime we want to access Netflix or Live TV. Which brings up a good question. If I eliminate Media Center by switching to Ubuntu. WOuld I no longer have access to Netflix?

You can stay on windows 7, install Media Portal TVServer or 4therecord as backend and for netflix you just have to use "XBMC Flicks".
Jajoflo,

Thanks for the options. Disappointed to find out that XBMC FLicks is the only way to use Netflix. I actually have a little experience with that already and was not impressed.. It also seems a little flaky but thats beside the point.. My family is used to the fully graphical netflix app within Media-center and I know they would probably not like going to a text only interface.

That's the current situation. That doesn't mean that's the PERMANENT situation. Netflix has "hitched their cart" to the Microsoft horse. That means they are using Silverlight. On Linux and Mac, Moonlight is the only alternative. The good news is, Mac based clients have been mostly successful using Moonlight. Boxee, which runs on Linux has also finally opened up for Netflix streaming. It's not the best, but it does work. The great thing is, even Microsoft has started to kinda sell out on Silverlight. I hope this means they are moving toward more of an HTML5 approach, but only time will tell.

OSX has been quite the game changer. 8 years ago, Microsoft would have said "so what, we have the best OS, and we're king". Now, due to the shear amount of iPhone users, and Mac users, 3rd parties have no choice to cater to agreed technologies instead of saying "windows only". It's a good time to be a developer.... it's a better time to be a consumer.

I'm confident that in the next year or so, you'll see much better implementations. I'm only sorry I can't provide a download link in this comment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any Eden PVR How-To Guides?0