Lettered Navigation
I didn't know what to call it in the Subject line, but I would like to see an option for browsing the movie library that allows you to simply type the letter and goto movies starting with that letter. I know that we need the context menu and shutdown menu shortcuts, but I've figured a way around that.

When you click the down arrow, it allows you to browse 1 page at a time. Instead of using the letter C to bring up the "Update Library" option here, or any other keyboard shortcut, why couldn't we have XBMC allow you to browse page by page as well as seek to whatever letter you type. For instance, in my library, I have over 600 movies. The wife gets a little irritated, as do I, when I have to down arrow, then left or right arrow about 30 times to get to the movie I'm wanting to watch.

If all I did to watch "Gladiator" for example is down arrow, then hit the "G" button, and BAM!!!!! I'm at the movies starting with the letter G.......

That would be awesome.

I know we want XBMC to be better than anything out there, and it is, but may I add that Windows Media Center does allow for seeking with letters. Just FYI Smile

Come on Developers, lets make this one of the updates to XBMC 11.0
You can press and hold Shift while typing a letter. Obviously this isn't ideal with a remote but then again most remotes don't have a full keyboard.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
for remotes you just use sms jump...
(2012-03-26, 09:02)spiff Wrote: for remotes you just use sms jump...

What is sms jump? Can you elaborate

I still think it would be cool just to be able to hit the letter without the shift button being held down. I do have a full keyboard setup on my iRule, so I could actually use it that way...... I would just have to activate the Caps Lock to make it work.
(2012-03-26, 15:30)johnsills1 Wrote:
(2012-03-26, 09:02)spiff Wrote: for remotes you just use sms jump...

What is sms jump? Can you elaborate

I still think it would be cool just to be able to hit the letter without the shift button being held down. I do have a full keyboard setup on my iRule, so I could actually use it that way...... I would just have to activate the Caps Lock to make it work.

You might do, but the majority of users don't use a keyboard. XBMC is designed to be used primarily by a remote, not a keyboard and certainly not a mouse!

SMS jump allows you to use the numbers on your remote, just like on a phone.
I just wrote about this on another thread.

I tried JumpSMS but could never get the hang of using the remote keys. It was just awkward for my hands I guess.

What would be nice would be an "index/first letter" feature so you could have another level of just the first letter of an artist name for example.

Code:
Artists >>
A.. >>
- Aerosmith
- Arctic monkeys
- Avril Lavigne
ect..

A quick google shows this for the c++ code

Code:
char left(char *string) {
return string[0];
}

This would be great for people with large libraries (and maybe remotes without numbers). It would also make some of the music categories much more useful like album name.

There are also a few requests for this on the constellation ipad app. Its great but not so good scrolling though lots of entries on a touchscreen.
DANG! that's exactly the piece of code we have been missing in order to implement this ;>
(2012-03-26, 16:12)spiff Wrote: DANG! that's exactly the piece of code we have been missing in order to implement this ;>

Big Grin I aim to please
ymmd with that code snippet ... awesome Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Actually, that code won't work, as the string is utf8 :p
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I know I sound like a rookie XBMCer, but could someone explain how to use SMS Jump more than what it is. I do not know what to do to set it up.
You map buttons to the JumpSMS2 -> JumpSMS9 actions.

There's also Next/PreviousLetter actions available.

All this is done via the keymap files. See system/keymaps inside the XBMC root folder.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-03-26, 16:01)zag2me Wrote: A quick google shows this for the c++ code

Code:
char left(char *string) {
return string[0];
}

The dangers of

Code:
assert (google == correct_answer || relevent_search);

Wink
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lettered Navigation0