XBMCbuntu can upgrade to final using the apt-get upgrade commands
Searched here. Seached the wiki. Cant find anything documenting this feature.Huh

Says in the Eden release blurb on the blog "XBMCbuntu can upgrade to final using the apt-get upgrade commands".

Instructions please! (With notes explaining what each step is doing would be a helpful way for me to learn!)

Confused
Close XBMC.

Open terminal
Type (without quotes) "sudo apt-get update"
enter sudo password
Then (without quotes) "sudo apt-get upgrade"
enter sudo password if asked, confirm you want to update

Once completed, you can use XMBC (updated!) or reboot to make sure all of the updates took, and then use XBMC.

Thanks for that.

Does that update all underlying components too?

What does "update" do exactly and how does it differ from "upgrade"?

update --> update files from repositories
upgrade --> upgrade files with their new version catches from repositories
Thanks for all the replies.

I updated and upgraded and it worked fine after a reboot.

Once!

It now boots as normal, but trying to play anything just gives a black X in the middle of the screen for a few seconds then I get the Eden boot splash and it goes back to the main menu like its just booted, only all the overscan/alignment is messed up.

So now I cant play anything and have no instructions on how to go back... Other than blow the partition away and re-install from scratch.

Incidentally I have a Crystalbuntu install that has gone through all betas to the release version fine and is still working.
not that it helps, but I had the same problem on my ASRock 330; had to do a new install. All my Revos updated from RC2 without any problems, which leads me to believe it has something to do with me changing the audio settings on the ASRock (as it's the only device connected to a fancy amp).
It does help in a way. Also an ASRock 330HT here. Not exactly uncommon. Also using the optical out to an amp and had to hack around to get an acceptable audio setup.

Will do a new install and see if they have fixed anything "out the box".
Install direct to the release version fixed it, though I still cant get Dolby/DTS optical passthrough and downmix to stereo over HDMI at the same time.
(2012-03-27, 20:14)cybertimber2000 Wrote: Close XBMC.

Open terminal
Type (without quotes) "sudo apt-get update"
enter sudo password
Then (without quotes) "sudo apt-get upgrade"
enter sudo password if asked, confirm you want to update

Once completed, you can use XMBC (updated!) or reboot to make sure all of the updates took, and then use XBMC.

Does nothing on Karmic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu can upgrade to final using the apt-get upgrade commands0