Click noise when starting or pausing videos with DTS or AC3 audio
Hi
I have a Philips HTS3111 soundbar that is connected to my HTPC (Windows 7 64bit) over an optical cable. Videos that have a DTS or an AC3 audio track start with a loud click noise but play fine after that. When I pause the video it pauses with the same click noise. The lights on the soundbar flicker when I start or pause a video but indicate the correct audio format (AC3 or DTS) after that.

I tried to disable the settings "DTS capable receiver" and "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" which solves my issues i.e. no click noise but I don't have DTS or AC3 sound obviously.

I can partially solve the issues i.e. no click noise when I output the sound over hdmi and connect my soundbar directly to the TV over a coaxial cable. But my TV doesn't support DTS and only passes AC3 through.

I'm using Eden Beta 1 but have the same issues with Dharma.

Any suggestions?
I don't believe I get a click when I pause, i do get a click when I start the movie, its not really bad though. I use windows 7 64 bit with optical cable as well.

Carb0 Wrote:Hi
I have a Philips HTS3111 soundbar that is connected to my HTPC (Windows 7 64bit) over an optical cable. Videos that have a DTS or an AC3 audio track start with a loud click noise but play fine after that. When I pause the video it pauses with the same click noise. The lights on the soundbar flicker when I start or pause a video but indicate the correct audio format (AC3 or DTS) after that.

I tried to disable the settings "DTS capable receiver" and "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" which solves my issues i.e. no click noise but I don't have DTS or AC3 sound obviously.

I can partially solve the issues i.e. no click noise when I output the sound over hdmi and connect my soundbar directly to the TV over a coaxial cable. But my TV doesn't support DTS and only passes AC3 through.

I'm using Eden Beta 1 but have the same issues with Dharma.

Any suggestions?
It's very annoying and it's worse in videos with AC3 than in videos with DTS.
i'd guess its the sound bar, I think each device will be slightly different with that, don't know that it has anything to do with xbmc. i'd think the only way to solve that would be something that muted the input for a second at certain times.
I too get this click noise too, and i have my pc connected via an optical cable to a Cambridge amplifier, and i always have this problem with digital sources!
See silent stream bug on Google.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
robl45 Wrote:i'd think the only way to solve that would be something that muted the input for a second at certain times.

That's what I did now. I setup a sequence on my harmony remote that mutes xbmc, starts the video and unmutes xbmc.

Is it possible to modify xbmc to do that automatically?
I never have this issue.
With my old Onkyo receiver I had the clicking issue with the digital audio passthru. I got a new Onkyo receiver recently and the annoyance stopped. This happened with Dharma. Since I don't have the old receiver anymore I cannot test with Eden. I believe the problem is NOT with XBMC but rather that some audio hardware does not switch over from analog to digital quickly enough and therefore a click noise is heard.
I am having this problem with HDMI I thought it was a bug in eden

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Click noise when starting or pausing videos with DTS or AC3 audio0