Playback is basically 'broken' / slow. Maybe damaged codecs?
Hi all,

Long story short.
Had a HP NL36 Microserver (1.3ghz CPU) and ATI Radeon HD6450 to try and playback 1080p content, simply wouldn't work. Wasn't dropping frames, it just didn't play files, it either locks up when you start playing or it starts playing but if you FF or reverse it then locks up.
VLC plays fine (close to the limit on CPU use but it works)
My coworker has the same HP Microserver but 1.5ghz model and an Nvidia GT430, he claims it works flawlessly.
I swapped my board for the 1.5ghz CPU and put in a GT430 also, so my machine is identical to his (but 4x the memory) my problem remains.

Anyone know what could cause this? I'm under the impression XBMC doesn't use codecs, it has it's own?
Maybe it's my secondary video drivers, I have logmein and dameware on the workstation, could they interfere?
Why would XBMC just totally lock up like that (it's not a "not responding" lock up, it just doesn't play video and sits there with the counter not ticking over)

Any theories?
I would check video drivers and logmein. VNC/RDC-type stuff can do exactly what you are experiencing, but I'm not sure if that's just when they have an active connection or all the time.
I doubt it's the actual video card drivers themselves, because that literally was un-installed (ATI) and swapped to nvidia last night, identical fault.
The "extra" drivers though are "LogMeIn Mirror Driver" and "DameWare Development Mirror Driver 64-bit" I can try and un-install these (although I'd miss logmein if it solves it, so be it)
Update: I have found out, I'm on Win7 64bit, my coworker with no issues is on Win7 32bit. Any likelyhood of this?
(I've removed Dameware and Logmein, will do further testing over the next couple of nights)
P.S Thanks for the help, I hope this thread assists others once the problem is isolated and I can think of the right keywords to help it be found by google.
One other thing of note, I tried XBMC 10.1 this also failed. Infact in XBMC 10.1 I didn't even have DXVA as a playback method option.
I could tick it but not use the arrows to choose it, unlike 11.
Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Now try and play something, and when it locks up kill XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
Hi XBMC folks.
I would like to thank you both for responding but more importantly as I like to pay it forward, I'm updating the thread in the hope that others with this problem find the solution here.
(Also, feel free to investigate or diagnose in develepmont to remove the compatibility issue entirely?)

Since my HTPC is also my all in one home server (gigabit network, 6 SATA drives, 2 half height PCI slots,... lovely thing)
https://www.google.com/search?q=hp%20mic...w&tbm=isch
I also run logmein and dameware on it for when I need to administer things, it's kind of my 'box away from home' which I RDP into from work and so on as I do some support work for some of my clients / friends / family. I especially like to get in to it remotely via logmein if RDP ports are lbocked.

Anyhow, tonight I un-installed Logmein and Dameware, re-booted and now XBMC is performing amazingly. About 20% CPU use at most to play back a 40gb MKV file, same file uses about 80% CPU time under VLC, so XBMC certainly knows how to make use of that nvidia card, thank you!
Also for testing purposes, I re-installed Logmein (as I really do need Logmein more so than Dameware) and the problem was still solved!
Dameware is a product for administering computers remotely and often used in business' it has it's own remote control 'service' which installs in to a PC and allows others to connect.
I had version 7.5 installed but it is up to 8 now. There's a free trial here. http://www.dameware.com/Products/Mini-Re...rview.aspx
Anyhow the problem is fixed and it's really appreciated. Keep up the incredible work. I've been using this since it was Xbox Media Player (or was it Xbox Video player?)

While I have your attention, I have some ideas for the XBMC remote for Android, where would my thoughts best be directed?

Google keywords
XBMC, Slow, Stalling, Stop playing, black screen, fast forward, stops, doesn't play, logmein, 1080p, HD, stalls, freezes.
There's a subforum for the Android remote under Supplemental Tools for XBMC.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback is basically 'broken' / slow. Maybe damaged codecs?0