XBMCBuntu install problem on Acer Aspire Revo
I have tried literally everything, but am not having any luck getting XBMCBuntu 11.0 Eden installed on my Acer Aspire Revo. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? I've been using XBMC for years but have never run into anything like this.

I'm currently running XBMC 10.1 Live. I downloaded 11.0 and, using Unetbootin, created a bootable USB stick. In my BIOS, I've got "removable media" (or whatever it's called; I don't have it in front of me atm) set as the first drive. However, if I just try to let it boot, it goes into 10.1. If I hit F12 at startup and manually select the USB drive (it does show it in the drive list), I get a black screen that says "missing operating system," which then goes away after a few seconds and boots into 10.1 again.

I've looked everywhere on the forums, but no clues. I've also tried three different USB sticks and an external USB/SATA drive, have re-downloaded the XBMCBuntu iso and tried to set it up with Unetbootin three times on three different computers (a Windows 7 PC, a Snow Leopard Mac and a Lion Mac). On all attempts, I've preformatted the drives to FAT32, and didn't use quick mode.

Like I said, I've been thorough ;-) Pretty frustrated at this point. Where am I going wrong?
you should be able to plug in your usb drive while you have 10.1 up and running
it should pop up on the screen that it mounted the drive
then try and reboot and see if it boots from it

it wasn't a plan but just the scenario when i updated from 10.1 on my revo 1600

worth a shot i guess lol
WE ALL WE GOT
Nope, no luck. It did pop up as a mounted drive in 10.1, but rebooting just sent me back to 10.1. Thanks though. Any other ideas?
I had a problem a while back trying to reinstall on my Revo and while my symptoms didn't match yours, the problem was that I had an old version of unetbootin. Did you download it recently or is it an old version?
unetbootin will often fail silently too - so you need to try and boot another PC from that stick to make sure it's working properly. I had the same symptoms as you've described until I wiped the USB stick (on another linux host) and reformatted it using FAT32 before running unetbootin again.
Hi aladage,
I've got the exact same issue, with an acer revo. My install consistantly crashes after selecting the time zone.
Has you made any progress on this. Any clues gratefully received, i'm completely stuck...

Help!
Hi,

I've used this http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download to make a USB key installer. Worked first time on my revo.
Please correct me if wrong, but isn't this for running xbmc with in a VM on your PC?
I'm trying to install XBMC on the revo, that now has had it's OS removed due to the failed install.

Thanks.
Can anyone tell me which distribution I should select when using UNetbootin to build my USB XbmcLive USB drive?
(2012-04-05, 16:04)Russhank Wrote: Can anyone tell me which distribution I should select when using UNetbootin to build my USB XbmcLive USB drive?

None. There's a radio box at the bottom that lets you choose a specific image/ISO. This is where you choose the XBMCbuntu ISO that you downloaded here: http://xbmc.org/download/
If its a revo I would also select the 120*120 dpi install option as I had problems with font sizes. USB sticks seem hit and miss I had to reboot a couple of times to get mine to install properly
Thanks, didn't realize you could just select the radio button, I was guessing at one of the top distributions, hence it was getting confused...
(2012-04-05, 09:35)Russhank Wrote: Hi aladage,
I've got the exact same issue, with an acer revo. My install consistantly crashes after selecting the time zone.
Has you made any progress on this. Any clues gratefully received, i'm completely stuck...

Help!

My ION2 based Shuttle system also cashes while setting time zone. I have Dharma and tried to intall multi-boot with Eden.
any updates on this topic? I am having the same issue as OP.

I acquired an Acer Aspire Revo AR-1600 over the holidays. Want to set it up with XBMCbuntu for my parents. Have created the bootable USB stick with Unetbootin on 2 separate USB sticks and under OSX and Windows 7. Each time I try to boot from the USB stick, I get the "missing operating system" error.

On one of the USB sticks, I actually installed XBMCbuntu using a CD and an old Windows box. The Acer will boot from this USB stick into XBMC, but I want to install to the main HDD.

Incidentally, the other USB stick created with the XBMCbuntu installer boots on my old Windows computer, but still fails to load on the Acer...

Any suggestions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu install problem on Acer Aspire Revo0