• 5(current)
Attention ALL translators
(2012-05-08, 12:28)takoi Wrote: So you will mirror only the english strings from the official addon repo, then it will be up to the addon developers to choose to pull translations before sending pull request to addon repo. Correct?

More less that is the plan, except I will not mirror English, because Transifex can auto update the English string from any Web URL so I won't mirror it.

What I think would be good to host is the fresh language files coming from Transifex. From this updated repository, addon devs can pull down the fresh translations. Or I make a little downloader tool which can batch download the translations for them and so they won't need the repository at all. This repo is also good as a backup if anything gets lost on Transifex, or the site is down.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I''ve played with this Transifex translation system and it's quite nice.Smile
Stupid question: is there a converter that can convert back from .po to strings.xml? The thing is that Frodo with .po support is still in alpha and many users would want to stick to "stable" 11.0 and such tool would help to provide translations for them using Transifex.
(2012-05-08, 17:25)Roman_V_M Wrote: I''ve played with this Transifex translation system and it's quite nice.Smile
Stupid question: is there a converter that can convert back from .po to strings.xml? The thing is that Frodo with .po support is still in alpha and many users would want to stick to "stable" 11.0 and such tool would help to provide translations for them using Transifex.

Glad you like it :-)

I have a better idea. I am still discussing this with the team, but might be that we can do the following:
We backport the PO file support to the Eden branch and than, as in Transifex we can have various releases defined for one project, we set up an Eden service release there so translators can also refine their strings for Eden. Than of course we can directly use the PO files for the service release.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Hey Attila,

also played a bit with the transifex system. I agree with Roman...really good to use and really simple...
But one question, though...
Before transifex I did not translate strings in the xml that were the same in English and German e.g. "5.1"
Now I see that we have a translation state in percentage...
To be always up-to-date and to see whether something has changed I translated them, too.
Is this ok or should this be avoided in order to save some bits and bytes?

cheers,
Max
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
(2012-05-09, 17:00)mad-max Wrote: Hey Attila,

also played a bit with the transifex system. I agree with Roman...really good to use and really simple...
But one question, though...
Before transifex I did not translate strings in the xml that were the same in English and German e.g. "5.1"
Now I see that we have a translation state in percentage...
To be always up-to-date and to see whether something has changed I translated them, too.
Is this ok or should this be avoided in order to save some bits and bytes?

cheers,
Max

Thanks for the feedback :-)

This is OK with translating these strings. Not so much of data, but makes percentage better visible this way.

(2012-05-09, 17:22)alanwww1 Wrote: but makes percentage better visible this way.

Yeah, and that way it's easier to see if something has been added

EDIT:
BTW: Most funny thing with the new system is that I recognised the following:
Although you're darkmasterchief of translation system, the hungarian translation does not have 100% Big Grin
Just came up with an idea...

I saw a few PRs in GIT for Frodo translations...these need to be converted to po to get this thing rollin'
Currently this is quite time consuming for you...
Can you create teams for all languages...if they exist I can take care of moving these PRs into the appropriate transifex translations...
That way you can focus on the more important things Wink
Would this be helpful for you?
(2012-05-09, 23:03)mad-max Wrote: Just came up with an idea...

I saw a few PRs in GIT for Frodo translations...these need to be converted to po to get this thing rollin'
Currently this is quite time consuming for you...
Can you create teams for all languages...if they exist I can take care of moving these PRs into the appropriate transifex translations...
That way you can focus on the more important things Wink
Would this be helpful for you?

Thank you very much for the offer. That would be really helpful. But for now, I still need to create the "official" xbmc project on Transifex. For that I will use a very nice little tool called Tranifex Client http://help.transifex.com/features/clien...07-install

(Of course the translation you guys did in the test project will be pulled into master before anything)

After that for maintaining and other stuff I would really use a helping hand. I'll let you know the moment.

BTW You spoted right that Hungarian translation is not developing :-)
I don't have a free second for that :-)

ps.: I hope I don't receive any more direct PRs again :-)
Ok, then just ping me if there is something I can do for you!
hey @alanwww1 could you tell me when are you guys planning to Eden bug fix release? Because I need to correct some strings. And where can I submit? To github, to transifex test project or wait for you to offical transifex project?
(2012-05-10, 12:03)queeup Wrote: hey @alanwww1 could you tell me when are you guys planning to Eden bug fix release? Because I need to correct some strings. And where can I submit? To github, to transifex test project or wait for you to offical transifex project?

No official date yet, AFAIK.

I will backport PO file support to the Eden branch and so everybody can refine, update etc. the translations for Eden up at Transifex.net.

When you will sign up as a translation team member for a specific language, you will always receive the announcements we create. So as soon as we have the release date for the Eden service release I'll make a notice to everyone there.
Just out of curiosity I've tried to translate XML language files with Transifex and it seems to work.Smile For that you need to import them as xhtml. The only issue I've noticed that a XML header and comments are stripped, but all other tags are preserved. A translated file is downloaded as xhtml, and to use it with XBMC you simply need to change its extension and to add a proper XML header (with utf-8 encoding).
(2012-05-11, 16:47)Roman_V_M Wrote: Just out of curiosity I've tried to translate XML language files with Transifex and it seems to work.Smile For that you need to import them as xhtml. The only issue I've noticed that a XML header and comments are stripped, but all other tags are preserved. A translated file is downloaded as xhtml, and to use it with XBMC you simply need to change its extension and to add a proper XML header (with utf-8 encoding).

It wouldn't be a solution for us as we want plural forms support as well in the near future. Also machine created PO files are needed if we want to get rid of the ID numbers.
(2012-05-11, 18:08)alanwww1 Wrote: It wouldn't be a solution for us as we want plural forms support as well in the near future. Also machine created PO files are needed if we want to get rid of the ID numbers.

Yes, I realize that moving to POs is inevitable, but maybe it can be used as an interim solution for various skins/add-ons that are not parts of XBMC core. As for a free CAT web-tool, Transifex is quite good and can facilitate translation efforts. From my point of view, the only thing it seriously lacks is TM auto-suggestion feature of 100% and fuzzy matches like in professional CAT tools.
After all, Transifex TMs (translation memories) can be later used for translating PO files.

BTW, by "plural forms support" do you mean that we will have grammar-aware usage of plural forms for languages with more complex plural structure than English, like Slavic languages with their 3 plural forms: 1 generic and 2 numeral-dependent? That would be great, because now in Russian an Ukrainian strings "numeral variable + word" sometimes look weird due to grammatical disagreement.
(2012-05-11, 18:55)Roman_V_M Wrote: BTW, by "plural forms support" do you mean that we will have grammar-aware usage of plural forms for languages with more complex plural structure than English, like Slavic languages with their 3 plural forms: 1 generic and 2 numeral-dependent? That would be great, because now in Russian an Ukrainian strings "numeral variable + word" sometimes look weird due to grammatical disagreement.

Yes, exactly. The parser is already prepared to parse such entries, but I just need to fit that into the XBMC localiztion infrastructure. It will be in the second stage of our refator work.

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Attention ALL translators0