Best Linux-Based PVR Solution of the Moment
Hello Folks,

I have been using XBMC in conjunction with WMC7 and an HDHomeRun Prime as my HTPC/PVR solution for about eight months now. I use the back-end of WMC for recording TV and then convert the files to TS so I can watch the shows on XBMC. I am getting a little bit tired of this setup and would like to move away from WMC altogether. I am hoping that XBMCBuntu will be the solution to this problem. I would like to dual boot a Linux-based version of XBMC with Windows 7, which I still use for gaming and recording music.

What is the current state of PVR builds and where can I find them? Can I just simply install Myth TV within an XBMCBuntu build? Should I try one of the Pulse-Eight packages? There seem to be several options, but I have no idea where to begin. For what it's worth, I am running an i5-2500K and a Radeon 6770 video card. Ideally, I would like the computer to function as an appliance, with live TV and PVR, that would boot in a few seconds and sleep when idle. Maybe it's still a pipe dream at this point?

As usual, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm using this xvba-pvr version Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs with tvheadend as backend for live-tv/recording, since some months and it is running quiet well.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I ultimately wound up scrapping plans for a true PVR solution after installing SickBeard. It lets me download basically anything episodic and from a UI standpoint, between what it grabs from TVdb and what XBMC adds with the extra fanart plugin, I find I am not missing anything by going without a tuner. Live sports are about the only thing I don't get this way. I run SickBeard, CouchPotato, and SABnzbd+ on my NAS (Ubuntu Server) and XBMC is the front end on my HTPC, and what I end up with is a great UI for browsing an automatically updating library of TV shows, on a box that sleeps gracefully, and a nice solution with great web interfaces and mobile apps for managing and adding to the library. So far I don't see any need for anything like Myth or TVHeadEnd. Sorry if it's not a real answer to your original question, it's just what works best for me.
I use XBMC as my primary solution for watching tv and would consider the main use cases as stable. A HTPC equipped with a SSD for boot partition has a startup time less than 15 sec. Personally I see no need fo hybernate or suspend. I have a little script which detects remote control activity and shuts the system down after a while of inactivity.

The pulse-eight packages are a good point to get started. Personally I use vdr as backend but tvheadend is much easier to configure when doing this for the first time. I have no experience with the other backends. Check out the PVR section of this forum.
I use a HD Homerun Prime with XBMC using libcmyth. I tried tvheadend but got absolutely nowhere with it and the HD Homerun. I asked for some help on the tvheadend forum and that was a dead-end. MythTV came together pretty quickly for me, all things considered. I haven't fully deployed this solution in my house yet, I've just been experimenting with it so far on a secondary system. Soon version 0.25 of Myth will be released, and I'm kind of waiting for that to settle before switching my main system over.

I use a nvidia card though, so keep that in mind. If you can get it working with ATI then Myth will work fine for you.
For ATI follow mystefix' recommendation. Those are PVR packages which include my work for XvBA. Still experimental, though you can come back and blame me if it doesn't work Smile
Wow. Thanks a lot guys. Sounds like I have a good place to start. I'll probably try xvba first then. Is there an XBMCBuntu version of this available yet that I can install in parallel with Windows? Just ordered the Pulse-Eight remote, so hopefully this will all come together soon. I have SickBeard running on my QNAP server for the *cough* premium content. Works a charm, but I still want to use my HD Homerun for live TV and plan on eventually having multiple XBMC boxes and TVs in my house.
(2012-03-28, 17:58)FernetMenta Wrote: I have a little script which detects remote control activity and shuts the system down after a while of inactivity

This is a nice idea that could very well become a feature of xbmc Nod

My new TV has this function.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Linux-Based PVR Solution of the Moment0