[AppleTV2] Why does the Wiki recommend leaving the ATV OS at v4.3?
I have just bought an ATV2 of a forum member at AVForums. Speaking to him it is on 4.4.4 which you can jailbreak successfully, as such I presumed it would be idea as a cheap XBMC box for my dad.

Going through the XBMC Wiki just now it states that "It is highly recommended to be on an iOS version on or before 4.3", but does not explain why this is the case anywhere I can find. Please could someone let me know what the issues are with the newer OS? Also does anyone know whether a downgrade like this is possible, clearly I have no blobs or any other pre-update info.
The new OS appears to take up more system resources when running, leaving less for XBMC to use. If you're pushing the limits of the little box, you need every little bit you can take.

Having said that, there are lots of people not on 4.3 that are happy with XBMC - it all depends on what you're using it for.
When I foolishly upgraded, the only difference I notice is when playing 1080p media. on 4.2.1 it played smoothly, on 4.4.4 it does not. The reason is what DLeavy said.
1080p is downscaled anyway
is there btw a chance to go back from 4.4.4 to previous version?! well i think not, but better ask for...
minel Wrote:1080p is downscaled anyway

True, but for those that have a central media source/NAS accessed by multiple machines, some of which can output 1080p, I can see why someone would be trying to play a 1080p movie on the ATV2.

devunw Wrote:is there btw a chance to go back from 4.4.4 to previous version?! well i think not, but better ask for...

Apple stopped signing 4.3, so unless you saved your SSH blobs using a program called TinyUmbrella, the answer is, unfortunately, no.

I'd be curious if Apple cleaned up their iOS5 code and it runs a little leaner, but I doubt it. Guess we'll all have to wait until the jailbreak to find out.
Thanks for the advice guys, clearly should have read up a little more before buying a 4.4.4 ATV2. No problem though, sounds like I just need to ensure lower bitrate / 720P files.

Hopefully the iOS5 will be better, though the interface looks like a step backwards (and about 10 steps back from XBMC Eden default)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Why does the Wiki recommend leaving the ATV OS at v4.3?0