[solved] XBMC crashes on playback since upgrading from Eden RC2 to final
Hello,

I have a Zotac Zbox series running XBMCbuntu. Yesterday I saw the announcement that Eden was officially available, so I upgraded from RC2. All navigation, menus, etc. still funtion as expected, but whenever I try to play an audio or video file, XBMC crashes. I'm seeing lots of errors in the crash log about XLCDproc but don't know enough/haven't been able to find enough info on that to troubleshoot, and I am not sure that's even the cause of my problem. Here's a crash log:

http://pastebin.com/RisuvaLr

The only other things I've changed recently was that I installed the Passion addon repo (but I think I've disabled any plugins that could be contributing to this), and I tweaked my /etc/rc.local file a little bit because I moved my IR receiver to a different USB port and wanted to be able to continue waking the box up with my remote. I don't think either of those changes is the cause. Also, the crashes happen regardless of which skin I'm using, and I've tried removing and reinstalling xbmc, as well as rebuilding all my databases. I'm really grasping at straws at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, there's a lot of extraneous info there, now that I re-read it. I just wanted to include as much info as I could in case any of it gives anyone an idea of what I may have broken.
In the interests of documenting the stuff I try, the only reference I could find to LCD in the wiki is a page about LCD.xml, and in that article they mention an <haslcd> tag in .xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml. I set the value to false (not only because I was trying to see if it was related to the errors in my logs, but also because my device doesn't have an LCD screen) but that change had no effect.

I had read in a Linux forum that updating Samba caused similar error messages for someone, and all my files are stored on smb shares on my NAS, so I thought I better eliminate that variable as well. I copied a couple of mp3s to into the Home Folder path on the XBMC box but playing them locally doesn't work either. I still get crashes anytime I try to play anything back.
Sorry to bump my own thread but I'm really at a loss for something else to try. It took me quite a while to get 5.1 sound and wake on device and Samba working 100% so I'd like to avoid a full wipe if possible, but I will if that would definitely fix my problem. Does the crash log linked above give anyone any ideas on other things I could at least read about or another troubleshooting idea?

Thanks. I know everyone is busy and does this out of their own kindness and desire to be a part. I don't mean to be impatient. I'm just not sure what to try next.
Not a lot to go on in the log, and doubt it's a problem with the LCD. Not a Linux dev but you may want to install gdb and get the stack trace.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks for the reply, I will try that tonight.
Looks like theres only startup info in the log, no navigating, no starting playback.
Did you enable debug logging in settings->system->debugging?
I thought I had, but I'm not sure. I will double check tonight after work and generate a new crash log. If it doesn't give me any more clues, I will try to get a stack trace and post both here. Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate the help!
Ha! After seeing debug logging, it's funny that I thought it could be enabled before and maybe I wouldn't notice. Anyway, here's another crash log, this time with debug logging enabled:

http://pastebin.com/ejTzr4xG

I am being pried away from the couch for dinner but will keep sifting through it and then maybe see what a stack trace entails. In the meantime of course, the help of anyone who doesn't mind looking over the new crash log would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
EUREKA!

I was getting ready to give up and do a full reinstall, but I wanted to make sure I could quickly duplicate the work I've done on things like getting my bluetooth keyboard to connect at boot, getting 5.1 sound working over HDMI, etc. While I was checking my current sound settings, I noticed this:

Code:
$ aplay -L
ALSA lib conf.c:1219:(parse_def) default is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1685:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:17:13:Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3467:(snd_config_hook_load) /home/xbmc/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3713:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration

I deleted .asoundrc and restarted xbmc and everything plays back fine now! I still may do a clean install at some point if I notice other issues, as I'm sure the .asoundrc is not the only file I've tinkered with myself that may no longer be needed in the stable release of XBMCbuntu, but I'm no longer banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what's wrong. Thanks to those who took the time to read this and make suggestions, and I hope it points someone else in the right direction too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[solved] XBMC crashes on playback since upgrading from Eden RC2 to final0