Ubuntu 11.10 XBMC crashes on video playback
Hello Guys,

It's the first time I installed XBMC on a Linux Platform (never had any issues with windows). Now when I try to play some movies XBMC just crashes and it returns me to the desktop. Im running the XBMC 11.0 Eden final release.

System Specs:
Mob: Asrock E350M1/USB3.0
Ram: 4GB
HDD: 1TB

Here's a crashlog from one of the crashes:
http://pastebin.com/6jTpkZ7k

I hope somebody can help me, or knows a solution for the problem.
Thanks in advance!
Jordi
+1
Seems to be Eden 11.0 issue. Not heard of any real fix yet. Might be an audio issue?
Mine's crashing too. It was fine on RC2 but nothing I've tried to play works so far since updating to the final release yesterday. I posted about it here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126949

Interestingly, our crash logs don't have a lot of errors in common...
The crash seems to be related to vaapi.
Is it being looked into?
Seems like the same problem as in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126485, but unfortunately no one seems can find fix for it.
(2012-03-28, 22:18)bobo1on1 Wrote: The crash seems to be related to vaapi.

Any idea that could fix the problem? somethings I can try? Or should I just wait for a solution (Or newer version of XBMC) is released?
I had this when I tried to sort out my surround sound not working - did a re-install and it was fine.
(2012-03-29, 13:39)Gekkegast Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 22:18)bobo1on1 Wrote: The crash seems to be related to vaapi.

Any idea that could fix the problem? somethings I can try? Or should I just wait for a solution (Or newer version of XBMC) is released?

You can turn off vaapi decoding in the XBMC playback settings, but then you won't get any gpu video decoding either.
(2012-03-29, 13:53)Anastrophe Wrote: I had this when I tried to sort out my surround sound not working - did a re-install and it was fine.

A full reinstall? I've done an apt-get remove xbmc and apt-get install xbmc. It didn't seem to help in my case, though as noted, my error messages were different from the OP.

EDIT: mine seems to have been caused by my own tinkering with trying to get 5.1 working over HDMI as well. I had it dialed in and the upgrade broke it, but I noticed this when I ran aplay -L:

Code:
$ aplay -L
ALSA lib conf.c:1219:(parse_def) default is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1685:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:17:13:Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3467:(snd_config_hook_load) /home/xbmc/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3713:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration

I deleted .asoundrc and everything works fine now, no crashes on playback and I still have 5.1 sound without a custom .asoundrc file.
I was able to get it working by using Gnome Classic (No Effects). I'm not sure if you only get that option after installing Gnome Shell. Perhaps it would also work on 'Ubuntu 2d' have not tried.

Interestingly you are able to select 'XBMC' as one of the desktops, but that crashes just the same as with the standard Ubuntu desktop, so I guess that still uses all of the effects etc, would have been cool to use that.

I had the same problem.
I'm using gnome shell and my Graphics Card is Ati mobility HD 5000 series.
I've installed drivers from amd drivers site.

To make it work I deactivated graphics hardware accelaration and now works fine Smile
I've had this issue twice and both times I had to reinstall to fix it.

Like another user mentioned, I had this issue when I was trying to configure my surround sound audio outout options over HDMI. After trying a few different settings my XBMC seemed corrupt and would not accept any settings.

It seems like a pretty common issue at the moment. Keen to see a fix for it as I may be rolling back for now...
Are you struggling to play audio as well just getting booted back to the home screen?
Yes I too have fallen foul of this. I just added a few plug ins and then wouldnt play anything (This is the third time trying eden).I may have to roll back to dharma.(Sobs in dismay).....XBMCbuntu 1 me 0
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 11.10 XBMC crashes on video playback0