Regrettably, I'm having to give up on XBMC, and stay with Boxee
If what you want is netflix then what's wrong with just using the netflix site? It works just fine... The android apps work great as well, I often plug my phone into the TV for some netflix action.

You're missing the point of XBMC. It only takes a couple of weeks to watch everything worth watching on netflix. Then what are you going to do?
The whole NetFlix thing is personal choice and isn't really available to many people outside the US anyway but if that's a dealbreaker for JW15851, then that's his/her choice.

I agree with your frustrations; I'm still running XBMC LIVE 9.11 Camelot because I just can't bare the thought of having to go through the pain of setting everything up the way I did when I first intsalled it. I work in IT but know virtually nothing about Unix/Linux/Ubuntu and the thought of having to again make changes to the LIRC or hardware.conf files just to get my Acer Revo to pickup WiFi and/or work with my original Xbox DVD remote is just too much to take...life's too short (and, of course, having to spend an undetermined amount of time trawling the forums to find out what those changes should be in the first place). In fact, not ending up with being able to get my Xbox DVD remote working with Eden is the main reason why I haven't upgraded yet...it sounds fantastic but the forums here are full of people reporting issues which there simply don't seem to be a fix for yet and if one of those issues is a dealbreaker for you, then that's that.

I've used XBMC since having it installed on my original Xbox and it's revolutionised the way I watch TV & movies, access my MP3 collection and view my digital photos. At the end of the day, it's 'free' and the devs have done a fantastic job but that doesn't mean to say somebody can't state that it doesn't do exactly what they need. TEAGUECL is right to say that you're points are valid but they're directed to the wrong place...to use your car analogy, it's like not being allowed to drive it on public roads but then voicing that concern to the people who make the tyres. Blush
GeorgeStark:

I myself have upgraded from Dharma to Eden a few days ago and I too feared, that i would have hours of setup again, messing with configs etc. I was particularly worried about lirc and HDMI Sound. Everything went better than expected:

I made a backup important config files (basically my ~/.xbmc/userdata folder and /etc/lirc/lircd.conf), wiped my HD and started fresh with XBMCbuntu. Everything worked out of the box, it wasn't as much configuration to set it up as it was back then with Dharma. The only thing that didn't work as it should was the remote. I was able to control most of XBMC with it, but a few buttons suddenly made things they didn't do before. Turns out, the keynames in the lircd.conf file have changed, so I simply copied over my old keynames from my lircd.conf backup to the new and I was done. It took me a while to figure this out, though. I was messing about with my remote.xml and lircmap.xml Big Grin

basically, i recommend making a clonezilla image and try using eden. It's so much nicer Smile
(2012-03-29, 16:19)Horscht Wrote: GeorgeStark:

I myself have upgraded from Dharma to Eden a few days ago and I too feared, that i would have hours of setup again, messing with configs etc. I was particularly worried about lirc and HDMI Sound. Everything went better than expected:

I made a backup important config files (basically my ~/.xbmc/userdata folder and /etc/lirc/lircd.conf), wiped my HD and started fresh with XBMCbuntu. Everything worked out of the box, it wasn't as much configuration to set it up as it was back then with Dharma. The only thing that didn't work as it should was the remote. I was able to control most of XBMC with it, but a few buttons suddenly made things they didn't do before. Turns out, the keynames in the lircd.conf file have changed, so I simply copied over my old keynames from my lircd.conf backup to the new and I was done. It took me a while to figure this out, though. I was messing about with my remote.xml and lircmap.xml Big Grin

basically, i recommend making a clonezilla image and try using eden. It's so much nicer Smile

That's very helpful...thanks! (no idea what clonezilla is but will make a backup of all the files I can before the install)
XBMC has already done such a great job. The frustrations JW15851 experienced could be understood, however, you can't blame the media center as a platform for its particular streaming service. The cards are not in Team XBMC's hands.
As my point of view, more and more plugins are coming out and make our lives much easier. BTW, the XBMC has its advantages especially for ones living out of states.
Even though my livingroom custom built XBMC PC is my favorite of all my XBMC boxes, there is definately a plus with using the Apple TV2's that I have in the bedrooms.
It has a great, easy to use netflix client built in.
So I have xbmc with its great local streaming and beautiful UI and 2 clicks to an easy to use, integrated netflix.

For $99 its hard to beat.....
Regrettably XBMC doesn't wipe my ass, but I am going to stick with it because I think it is brilliant otherwise. Big Grin
(2012-03-29, 19:55)bilbonvidia Wrote: Regrettably XBMC doesn't wipe my ass, but I am going to stick with it because I think it is brilliant otherwise. Big Grin

Some one could write an add-on for that Rofl
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I'm wondering if the OP HAS a Boxee box already or is aware that Boxee Desktop is a dead product...
Meh, I can view NetFlix on my XBMC running Linux easily enough. I have a desktop with PlayOn loaded and it allows me to watch all of the crap DRM protected junk like sports channels and whatnot. Oh yeah, I can watch the Amazon VOD stuff too :-) I have a half dozen other devices that can do Netflix too like Tivo HD. Funny thing is i seldom if EVER watch NetFlix streaming. The selection is limited and I enjoy the movies and TV shows I get from my own server far more.

The DRM issue won't be going away anytime soon, in fact it might get worse. The studios hate NetFlix it seems!

Anyway, i suggest running a relay service like PlayOn. A good thing about it that it can also be used to watch movies when away from home on Android and iPhone devices as well as Netflix and Amazon VOD. So long as you open ports correctly etc. you're good to go! i do find that crap AT&T won't let me see my Verizon IP address half the time but most wireless services work fine....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
To quote another dev - thanks for flying Air XBMC - ciao!
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Am i the only person that has netflix working fine with xbmc?
I haven't sussed to get it to open full screen in the browser automatically yet with the xbmcflicks addon, but I found a remote that has a mousepad to easily scroll to the fullscreen button. it also has a 'close' button that shuts the browser down when done and the buttons work to control netflix in the browser (albeit different buttons to the main playback ones) and best of all it worked with absolutely no configuring out of the box on my w7 64 set-up.
I'll post a link to the product if requested/allowed.

XBMC does take some configuring to work how you want it to, but that's to be expected as every user has different platforms and needs.
And I actually enjoy doing it, my HTPC is my hobby. If you want out-of-the-box PVR, netflix, hulu, amazon etc I'd go for the PS3.
We have one for when I'm 'fiddling' with the HTPC & it's wife/kids friendly.

I felt the same as the OP at first, but everything you mentioned is (pretty much) possible if you do the work and it's even better if you enjoy that 'work'.
What is this "NetFlix" of which you speak? I get a warning "This is not available in your country". XBMC kicks ass at scraping all my files on my server. It has no problem streaming NZBs if you like streaming. SickBeard takes care of all my TV shows and they're there before I even know the show aired.

Using XBMC just for Netflix/Hulu is like buying a Porsche 911 and using it just to tow stuff from Home Depot. I mean... yeah I guess it works.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Superbly written, and sadly I am coming to the same conclusion. Boxee Box is soooo close, but is underpowered, glitchy, and now the creators have given up on it. But Netflix works. Vudu works. Though you're going to have to tell me how you are getting Hulu through the BB! If XBMC could figure out streaming (ie - no instructions to go deep in the bowels of our PC and rewrite scripts or change the johnson rod [a Seinfeld reference for the attentive] or do other insane stuff that hardcore computer people assume as common, but is about as common to the general population - even the enthusiast population in large part - as performing brain surgery), then they would rule the world. But for now, it is a cool way to customize managing your local content. And even with that limitation, I am considering a mini-ITX build for just that. And continue to use my BB for streaming. Or maybe a PS3 so I can watch the same streaming apps and get NFL Sunday Ticket. XBMC is free. And yet it breaks the rule of "you get what you pay for". It's great, with qualifications. Get streaming figured out and yeehaw, that would be fantastic.

(2012-03-28, 21:54)jw15851 Wrote: XBMC is beautiful, the development teams have done a wonderful job, nothing I write here disputes that. If it were a car, it would be the most customizable, luxurious, vehicle ever made... a vehicle that could drive on virtually any road surface, under a wide range of different conditions... a joy to drive, and handles like a dream... But it has one major flaw.... it's not allowed on public roads. As long as you stay on your property, we guarantee that you will absolutely love it.

I think we can all agree that the world of TV entertainment is moving to internet streaming services, such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. And unfortunately, XBMC does not support those. As a PVR supplement to existing cable/TV services, support is highly experimental at best. I look at the list of new features for EDEN, and the requested features in the forums, and just scratch my head. The new features are nice, and the requested features people are asking for seem to be largly niche features, it seems to me that everyone is overlooking the critical aspects that need to be met (such as reliable streaming service support, reliable and easy BluRay / DVD playback, reliable PVR capabilities, etc.)

I really *really* wanted to use XBMC. I built a Mini-ITX PC, purchased a bluetooth keyboard/dongle, got the IR remote, Installed Linux (no bluetooth, No Netflix) then installed Windows7 (apparently no functional Netflix) and spend 3 full evenings till the wee hours of the morning, trying to get some kind of reliable operation...the whole 9 yards. But without Netflix working reasonably well (about 60% of our viewing) and without XBMC as a whole working reliably once I've taken the time to set it up, I can't expect it to be the center of my living room entertainment center, nor, expect my wife and family to use and understand it.

I'm sure there must be political/legal reasons why the streaming services can't just be built into the software, but this is really driving me crazy. Netflix is a large portion of our viewing experience, and without that functionality, it's really hard to justify building the media center PC (That I just built). I love the appearance, and customization of XBMC, but once I get it setup, I want it to just work and work reliably. (oops Hulu died again, oops the skin you spent hours configuring isn't compatible with the last update, oops Netflix is nowhere to be found (in any repository) and 30% functional when you do hunt it down, so all in all, apart from NAS movie playback, it's largely pointless for our uses.

I can't understand why the developers don't just give up on trying to build in the player, and just make it launch a full screen IE window with the Netflix site already logged in. The XBMC site/silverlight keeps track of your movies, etc. Why even try to integrate it? When the IE window with Netflix is in front, it remaps the keys to work with the standard controls, when you are done, it closes the window returning you to the XBMC experience. If you have to use IE, just use it and quit trying to do some kind of hybrid thing.

The other part is the Netflix/Linux thing. I guess there may be legal issues around obtaining the secrets to building it into linux with an open source project. But clearly Netflix works with Linux (unless it's an x86 cpu thing) Boxee has a functional implementation of it (built on XBMC), Boxeebox (which runs on linux) works fine, Tivo has it (linux), or how about almost any one of the BluRay players on the market (generally flavors of linux) all have it.

Random idea from an outsider: If the issue with Hulu, Netflix, etc. is that XBMC is an open source project, why don't the developers segment off a small group to work alone on those projects. Incorporate as a non-profit if needed, the "employees" of the organization sign the NDAs, and then develop and release locked modules that will then play nice with the overall larger project. This way the deepest darkest secrets of Netflix aren't being released to the general population.

Regardless, I've come to the very disappointing and frustrating (if you can't tell) conclusion that I have to stay with my Boxee box, despite having just built a complete media center PC. Sure the Boxee box skin is butt-ugly compared to XBMC, but, it works. Youtube works, Hulu works, Netflix works, and streaming video from a NAS works (and the scraper works pretty well too). No configuring hidden xml files, no remapping keys or completely different control interface for Netflix. If the twits at Boxee would just allow some custom skins, it would absolutely dominate. Boxee's "car" isn't as pretty and luxurious as XBMC's, but at least I actually get to drive it somewhere.

Just my perspective as an outsider trying to understand and make use of a really cool piece of software.

I wonder with the new windows 8 interface Netflix might be easier. Hulu+ as well. I have win 8 on my laptop. Haven't had the courage yet to upgrade my HTPC yet. However I think on windows 8 XBMC could make an API call to the Meto Netflix and Hulu+ apps in Metro. I think it would be cool fo XBMC installer could do an OS check to see if on windows 8 and install the proper UI access inside XBMC for those APPs. I am not a huge fan of Metro but those APPs look nice.

I think the XBMC folks have mad an amazing product and with windows media center not being included with windows 8 this may be a really good oportunity for XBMC to shine. Yeah Linux and apple tv dont have these things but why not allow XBMC exploit the platform its running on. I am sure there are things linux can do windows cant like being free LOL. Untill the major internet services embrace a technology that is linux friendly I wont be using it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Regrettably, I'm having to give up on XBMC, and stay with Boxee2