Forum search not very helpful.
Hello,

Trying to do a search on these new forums is pretty much impossible!

Select "Search by keyword" and input "Eden" into the box. Then select "XBMC general help and support" as the forum to search. Click search and what do you get? Results from every sub forum here. Now that would be fine if I had "Search all open forums" selected, but I didn't.

The result is that searching for and finding help needed is pretty much non existent. Is it possible to fix this?

Mark
Did you click the search button up at the top of the screen?

http://forum.xbmc.org/search.php
I searched for "Sucks" and found this thread. Wink

the "iOS Support", "Windows Support", "Linux and Live Support" and "Mac OSX Support" are subforums of "XBMC General Help and Support", so when you search that forum, you will get results from them.

If you're just searching for "Eden", you may need to be a little more specific of what you're looking for - it is the XBMC forum after all.
You can sort your results afterwards by clicking on the columns in your result list.
Its not ideal but it doesnt "suck". What really sucks though is your manner of expression.
(2012-03-29, 14:30)podkilla Wrote: You can sort your results afterwards by clicking on the columns in your result list.
Its not ideal but it doesnt "suck". What really sucks though is your manner of expression.

Sorry you don't approve of my expression...nah not really.

I tried at the very top of the web page, I tried "Search" at the top of the "XBMC general help and support forum". Both returned the same results. It seems to me that if I select one of the forums to search in, I should not get results from sub forums. The old forum was not like this.

Mark

(2012-03-29, 14:33)mwkurt Wrote:
(2012-03-29, 14:30)podkilla Wrote: You can sort your results afterwards by clicking on the columns in your result list.

I tried at the very top of the web page, I tried "Search" at the top of the "XBMC general help and support forum". Both returned the same results. It seems to me that if I select one of the forums to search in, I should not get results from sub forums. The old forum was not like this.

Mark

You can even select sort by forum on the right in your search options. Again not ideal but you get a pretty nice sorted result list.
(2012-03-29, 14:46)podkilla Wrote:
(2012-03-29, 14:33)mwkurt Wrote:

Mark

You can even select sort by forum on the right in your search options. Again not ideal but you get a pretty nice sorted result list.

Thanks for you reply. You're right, not ideal. My main question is why, when searching for help in the "XBMC general help and support forum" am I made to wade through messages and threads in other forums (the sub forums) that I have no interest in seeing nor will help me in any way? If I wanted to find help in the Linux, IOS, Windows or Mac subforums, I would search those forums instead. Having a search that returns all threads of no relevance to what is requested is the surest way to get folks discouraged about trying to find a fix to whatever problem they may be trying to work out. As I am doing now.

Mark
If you're getting too many results, adjust your search terms - search is just a tool and people have to learn how to use it.

The subforms are necessary, but if doesn't mean that an issue within a subforum doesn't apply to all of XBMC - how is a user to know if they are encountering an issue with their platform or all platforms. I perfer having an option that will allow me to search within all help forums.

If your search is returning threads of no relevance, than it's your search terms at issue, not the tool. I think you can also use Google to search the forums, if that works better for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Forum search not very helpful.0