Poll: I would like a XBMC API service
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, sweet!
66.67%
No, why would I need that?
33.33%
Total
9 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

Update XBMC library using commandline/service?
I, as many others, have a NAS system running that stores most of my media files. I have multiple XBMC devices that have a single shared Library that points to the files on the NAS. So far so good.

Now when I add media files to the NAS I would like the shared library to be updated (e.g. via Sickbeard). If there was a XBMC running somewhere I could use the JSON API to force a library update. But there is not always an XBMC device switched on. Hence the JSON api is not always enabled. My NAS cannot run XBMC, so there really is no way of having an XBMC instance up all the time to update the library.

So what would be really nice is if there was a commandline version of XBMC that could be run as a service (or just XBMC without the GUI), that has a (limited) JSON API interface. That way a NAS could run that service and a (for example) library update could be done at any given time using that service.
Solution:

-Update with sickbeard, if xbmc is running it will get updated.
-Turn on 'update library on startup', xbmc will check for new files when it is started.
(2012-03-29, 22:04)texaco Wrote: Solution:

-Turn on 'update library on startup', xbmc will check for new files when it is started.

True, but like I said: I don't have XBMC running all the time. And yes, you could set it up to scan at start, but with large collections a scan will take some time on an ATV2 and it won't perform at all during those times. So that is why it's turned of.

Could it be possible to have a command line switch to not load any GUI for XBMC?
(2012-03-29, 23:00)Basje Wrote:
(2012-03-29, 22:04)texaco Wrote: Solution:

True, but like I said: I don't have XBMC running all the time. And yes, you could set it up to scan at start, but with large collections a scan will take some time on an ATV2 and it won't perform at all during those times. So that is why it's turned of.

Could it be possible to have a command line switch to not load any GUI for XBMC?

Currently no and this poll is pretty much a waste of time as this has been covered lots in the past.
Well, with all due respect: I did search the forums and could not find anything. Perhaps I used too specific keywords.

I just thought a standalone slim version of XBMC would be a lit of added value next to a centralized MySQL database. Too bad about the negative responses.
Not being negative, just saying how it is and is a topic thats been covered in the past.

A standalone server would be great - but its not just a simple case of running without the gui, its a significant undertaken and requires significant changes to the core in its current state.
Here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114612

There is a Eden RC2 repo at the end of the topic.
With all due respect you did not mentioned you had a atv which complicates the procedure, one solution culd be to use a media manager (ie ember) to create nfo and images that the atv will pick up. This could lighten the load for the small box and could make it usable during scans.

Understand that the atv is functional and great but it has some problems due to resources made available to xbmc.

As with all features in xbmc it is developed by volunteers and features tend to make it in stable builds when there is enouh interest for it among the developers. A centralized server is something i myself look forward to but someone has to have the interest to make it.

Dont be afraid to ask questions, developers are born grumphy Smile
Maybe this is useful http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1222094

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update XBMC library using commandline/service?0