Resolution changes when switching TV on/off
I have the same issue in my setup: Mac Mini 2011 Lion , Onkyo receiver, Samsung LCD 1080p
IF Xbmc is on when I switch of the Receiver (and TV) it will come on in 540 line only showing the Left, upper quarter of the inteface. This can be fixed by turning xbmc off and on again.

Have tried SwttchResFX, but it only fixes the osx desktop to the right resolution, not the xbmc res.

Isnt there a way to force xbmc into 1080p (50 or 60hz) ?
I have a Mac Mini 2012 (2.5 Gh, Radeon, Lion), Denon 4308CI and both a projector and a monitor. Both of these support 1920 natively and I do NOT have the problem of changing resolutions. After a viewing session I switch everything off with my Harmony, which puts the Mac to sleep but does not exit XBMC. When I switch things back on (irrespective of whether I start with the projector or the monitor) all is normal.

(2012-04-18, 09:48)jopie Wrote: I have a Mac Mini 2012 (2.5 Gh, Radeon, Lion), Denon 4308CI and both a projector and a monitor. Both of these support 1920 natively and I do NOT have the problem of changing resolutions. After a viewing session I switch everything off with my Harmony, which puts the Mac to sleep but does not exit XBMC. When I switch things back on (irrespective of whether I start with the projector or the monitor) all is normal.

I guess that is becaue you switch off the Mac when you turn off the rest off the stuff.
Then it gets a new fresh handshake with the Denon everytime.
Try to have the MAC on and switch off the Denon manually and see what happens.
That would be interesting to see how that works out.
Hello,

I have the same problem. I think it started some time during the RC versions of XBMC 11, but regardless it is present in the current release (11.0) of XBMC. The issue is that when I leave my Mac Mini running with XBMC open, and turn off my Denon receiver and Samsung screen for a bit, the resolution will have changed from 1920x1080 to 960x540 (HiDPI). This makes it pretty hard to use XBMC afterwards, since it seems the XBMC UI is still sized for 1920x1080. I did a quick test just now, and in the less than 20 seconds I kept my A/V equipment off before turning it back on, was enough to disrupt the screen's resolution. Restarting XBMC is enough to restore the resolution to 1920x1080, but it is a bit of an inconvenience having to restart XBMC because of this. It wasn't like this in earlier versions of Eden, at least prior to the release candidates.

I tried leaving my Denon amp on, while turning only my Samsung screen off, but the resolution was still changed to the unusable 960x540. My Mac Mini (2011) is running the latest (updated) Mac OS X Lion, I don't remember the exact version, but I can update my post later with this if you need it. I'm only using HDMI connections, between all the equipment.

Linking in this file, if you need a xbmc.log.

Best regards,
Ao
Aonoa, thats exactly what I am experiencing:

* the change to 960*540
* when the error was introduced RC for Eden
* just turning off the TV, not the receiver.
Same setup exept I have an Onkyo instead of an Denon.

So, its consistent.
all i have to do is switch input from my tv and it changes the resolution

and this is not mac only problem Tongue
i started to have it during RC 3 and thought it was my mint being silly
(2012-04-18, 11:30)Nimnul Wrote: I guess that is becaue you switch off the Mac when you turn off the rest off the stuff.

Nimnul, I may misunderstand you, but I clearly stated that I switch everything off EXCEPT the Mini, which merely goes to sleep. I do NOT even "exit" XBMC. I thought that was precisely the point of other contributors to this thread?

I can't to the hell reproduce that one (hab mac-lion-10.7.3->hdmi->amp->hdmi->tv). I've tried switching off the TV, leaving the amp on, switching off the amp leaving the tv on, switching off both. It allways reappears in the right 1080p resolution for me.

So not that you guys think nobody cares. But davilla tried it too and can't reproduce the issue. So this depends on the used equipment as it seems.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-04-19, 09:36)jopie Wrote:
(2012-04-18, 11:30)Nimnul Wrote: I guess that is becaue you switch off the Mac when you turn off the rest off the stuff.

Nimnul, I may misunderstand you, but I clearly stated that I switch everything off EXCEPT the Mini, which merely goes to sleep. I do NOT even "exit" XBMC. I thought that was precisely the point of other contributors to this thread?
OK, I get it. I guess the mac does a new hdmi handshake when coming back on after sleep.
(2012-04-19, 10:27)Memphiz Wrote: I can't to the hell reproduce that one (hab mac-lion-10.7.3->hdmi->amp->hdmi->tv). I've tried switching off the TV, leaving the amp on, switching off the amp leaving the tv on, switching off both. It allways reappears in the right 1080p resolution for me.

So not that you guys think nobody cares. But davilla tried it too and can't reproduce the issue. So this depends on the used equipment as it seems.

Nimnul has a Onkyo amp/receiver though, and I have a Denon and we both have the same issue which for both of us appeared some time during the release candidates of Eden. I think it's pretty much the same for all of us here in this thread. I can't help but think it can be fixed with some debugging/coding, since it was introduced with new code in one of the release candidates. I haven't done any kind of fresh install of XBMC since before trying nightlies of Eden, do you think that could be worth trying out?
For what it is worth. I have a Denon too (4308) but do NOT have the problem. I am a new XBMC user though and only installed Eden recently and so far have never updated. Perhaps something from an earlier install was left behind?
same issue.

mini > hdmi > tv
Denon here, no problem
In addition to the resolution issue, xbmc drops the audio connection over HDMI every now and then. If I play something with sound over HDMI and change to another movie or TV show, even a DVD sound will some time appear from the Mac mini internal speaker, and some times just static noise from the internal speaker. Only remedy is to turn the receiver off or changing input back and forth for the HDMI to make a new handshake. Then, of course the resolution has changed and I need to restart XBMC to set the resolution.
This happened yesterday while whatching Mad Men on DVD via XBMC and going from one episoed to another.

Also, new movies does not appear, as soon as XBMC starts it says "Remote server" "Failed to connect" I have no network issues and all my add ons are updated and configured. It appears to do a library search but all my recent movies are'nt visable in the library.

(My Wife wondered how the hell things can be that complicted to watch a DVD and thinks im a technical idiot) ;-D
Ok... Just done a heap of testing. Here's what I found.

In my case the issue is the TV is not turning on fast enough and the HDMI handshake messes up.
If I turn on the TV select HDMI and then wait 5 seconds before waking the Mac Mini... everything works perfectly.

Unfortunately I have a Harmony remote which powers everything on as fast as possible. The TV isn't ready and the Mac defaults to the wrong resolution.
I have tried playing with all of the harmony delays.. but just cant get it to insert a delay between powerup of the TV and Mac.

Once the mac wakes up and has the wrong resolution I can easily fix the problem by putting the mac back to sleep and then re wake it up

One option for a fix..
Add some code to XBMC. If after 3 seconds of being woken up the resolution is incorrect. Try to reset the resolution to the configured resolution.
Seems like a bit of a hack.. but I personally cant think of much else other than getting some other remote which allows a delay between powering up devices.

I can see how a device like a Gefen HDMI Detective would fix the issue as it makes the Mac think the TV is on (even if it isn't)
I would expect people with an Amp have an additional device to test. Is it the Amp not turning on fast enough or is it the TV? (and not sending the HDMI signals through the amp)

Also... I think the firmware on the TV may have something to do with this. My TV used to power up about a second quicker before I got a slew of firmware updates.

My config...
Mac Mini (2011)
TV: Samsung via HDMI 1 to Displayport. (PS50C6500)
Amp: Uses optical so not in the path
XBMC 11.0 (official)
Harmony One remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution changes when switching TV on/off1