Linux Get MCE Remote to work
Hi there,

I´m using XBMCbuntu Eden with a Zotac Ion F-Series board installed in a Silverstone LC20m with an imon VFD/IR Module

I´ve testet a lot of tutorials to get the MCE remote to work, but with no luck. So I´m here to ask for your help

I followed this guide from the wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Setup_Lirc

It crashes by installing lirc at

make && make install

Code:
root@david-xbmc:/lirc-0.9.0# make
cd . && /bin/bash /lirc-0.9.0/missing --run automake-1.11 --gnu
daemons/Makefile.am:12: library used but `RANLIB' is undefined
daemons/Makefile.am:12:   The usual way to define `RANLIB' is to add `AC_PROG_RANLIB'
daemons/Makefile.am:12:   to `configure.ac' and run `autoconf' again.
tools/Makefile.am:51: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
tools/Makefile.am:51:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
tools/Makefile.am:51:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
tools/Makefile.am:51:   If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
tools/Makefile.am:51:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

But this was not the only guide i´ve testet.

Is it so differen in Eden to get a remote to work as in dharma?

In dharma it works fine. I installed lirc, selected the driver, chose a lircmap.xml and it runs. But in eden....

Please help me

Greetings from Germany

David
Exactly the same issue here. And it won't get better if you use other guides flying around here on xbmc without compiling all the stuff yourself.

The thing is: From what I understand from reading other forums lirc_imon as a necessary kernel module for our IR reciever is somehow broken in newer linux versions. Makes sense since I just copied my old LIRC configuration files from dharma while lirc is already installed on eden and didn't change anythin, but had no luck.
While starting LIRC I get:
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify your
* selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
which is the usual symptom for the broken drivers it seems.

Also I have to set ir_protocol=1 in lirc_imon.conf and when I did that the first time I got
unrecognized options ir_protocol. Sad

Somehow there seems to be no easy fix to that. There are guides on how to use inputlirc and grab the raw input events, but then my remote won't start up the system which it did before and like 1/8 of the buttons is recognized by XBMC. That's not what I want, of course I could make a custom map in xbmc but that woulnd't solve the problem with the startup button.

It's strange and xbmc is not to blame since this is a linux issue, but why in christs name did THEY (=linux developers) screw it up Sad
A hopefully useful posting I found: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid641354

Sadly I'm missing some knowhow here on how to do this:

- remove the default kernel's /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/lirc/lirc_imon.ko (which does not work, as well)

- install lirc-modules-source package (this will add an old, but working lirc_imon.ko to the module directory)

- Add this entry to /etc/modules:

lirc_imon
I forgot something.

/etc/init.d/ lirc start

works fine for me. Lirc starts with no issue.

My Remote starts my HTPC per Button out of the box. But if I hit any other Buttons nothing works. Even the command "irw" an then pressing buttons won´t show anything. No reaction, nothing.

@gokudo:

I take a look.

THX

>My Remote starts my HTPC per Button out of the box. But if I hit any other Buttons nothing works. Even the command "irw" an then pressing buttons won´t show anything. No reaction, nothing.

Mine did power on with the power button on the remote, too, but my guess it that the IR Protocol is now not set to the right value in the firmware..or something. Honestly I have no clue what changed that, it just doesn't work after the upgrade. The problem with the buttons is what I experienced way back when I installed lirc for the first time. It's because you're missing the lirc_imon.conf in /etc/modprobe.d . It should contain a line
options lirc_imon ir_protocol=1
but that was how it worked under the dharma live version. Now in xbmcubuntu that won't work, at least not for me. The lirc daemon will not start and give the above mentioned error instead. Same problem is reported elsewhere around the net, it's not genuine to xbmcbuntu like I said.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get MCE Remote to work0