[Guide] Upgrade XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) installation into Eden
fyi this fixed my issues:

root@XBMCLive:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Database# mkdir backup
root@XBMCLive:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Database# mv *.db backup

I needed to delete all the userdata databases so that Eden could create new ones....the old Dharma dbs can't be used by Eden.
(2012-04-09, 23:07)kitana Wrote:
(2012-04-09, 18:49)Dannywallace Wrote: Thanks for this. Followed the instructions and appears to have installed ... any reason though that in the Hardware info about XBMMC it says "XBMC 12.0 APLHA1" rather than 11.0?

Mine is also displaying the same "XBMC 12.0 ALPHA1" as github sources are constantly changing https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc
I was able to compile/install XBMC 11.0 stable release from source http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/source/...1.0.tar.gz using the same instructions but have since gone back to using github exclusively

So does this mean I'm not actually using a stable version of XBMC? How can I get to v11.0 or should I just stick with what's been installed?Confused

you (appear) to have kinda blown past a step there... Big Grin

"If you're using a Remote Control, you could install and setup the drivers now."

Qué?
(2012-04-22, 12:20)Dannywallace Wrote:
(2012-04-09, 23:07)kitana Wrote:
(2012-04-09, 18:49)Dannywallace Wrote: Thanks for this. Followed the instructions and appears to have installed ... any reason though that in the Hardware info about XBMMC it says "XBMC 12.0 APLHA1" rather than 11.0?

Mine is also displaying the same "XBMC 12.0 ALPHA1" as github sources are constantly changing https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc
I was able to compile/install XBMC 11.0 stable release from source http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/source/...1.0.tar.gz using the same instructions but have since gone back to using github exclusively

So does this mean I'm not actually using a stable version of XBMC? How can I get to v11.0 or should I just stick with what's been installed?Confused

I'd stick with what you currently have (XBMC 12.0 ALPHA1). I didn't notice much difference between 11 vs 12, at least how I normally use XBMC. I will eventually update my build again via github sources per supplied instructions.
Hi,

Attempted this morning to follow the guide, and had to do
Code:
# apt-get install libplist-dev python-support python-dev ccache libyajl-dev libvdpau-dev debhelper zip git-core make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool yasm nasm automake cmake gperf gettext unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libboost-thread-dev libboost-system-dev libssl-dev -y -q
twice as first crashed.

Got to
Code:
./bootstrap ; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd
and error that missing libssh, so install four packages and tried again.

Along a bit further this time, but failed at 'Checking with -ltimexml --no" and can't get past this.

Anyone able to help?

Small background. Installed of Dharma Live cd, 10.0

Did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and rebooted before trying this guide.

Funny thing is, XBMC still says its at 10.0, and not 10.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
This method definitely works on a fresh live Dharma install. Maybe you need to exit XBMC before trying to upgrade it.
Hi getsome
This was a fresh install, and following the instructions, I exited XBMC at Step 10.

I want it to work, but this one hick-up is bugging me off. Darn it. Angry

What I can't understand is why my initial apt-get update and apt-get upgrade didn't upgrade from XBMC 10.0 to 10.1. Figured that wasn't important anyway as I'm trying to get to XBMC 11 anyway.Huh
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
(2012-05-10, 05:27)vbat99 Wrote: Hi getsome
This was a fresh install, and following the instructions, I exited XBMC at Step 10.

I want it to work, but this one hick-up is bugging me off. Darn it. Angry

What I can't understand is why my initial apt-get update and apt-get upgrade didn't upgrade from XBMC 10.0 to 10.1. Figured that wasn't important anyway as I'm trying to get to XBMC 11 anyway.Huh

I followed the "Upgrading Eden" instructions on the OP as I have multiple times in the past and now I'm getting the same "libssh" error then followed by the "ltinyxml" error after installing libssh packages
Hello all,

I am experiencing the same "missing library, consult README" issues. I am carrying this out to the letter of the OP instructions. Have tried installing the libraries individually as well as en masse. Not sure exactly what the hang up is. I have an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 as well. Any clues as to why or any further info I can provide to get this to work?

Thanks,
Rob
It appears to be the case that both libssh and tinyxml haven't been installed.

To remedy this:

sudo apt-get install libssh-dev
sudo apt-get install libtinyxml-dev

then try running

./bootstrap ; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd

It should then work!

Krispy,

Installing those two items was the ticket to getting through the "bootstrap" step of the compilation. Thank you for that. Perhaps it could be added to the instructions given by the Milleman.

Now, however I am seeing this at the end of the long compilation sequence (produced by the "make -j4" command):

make[1]: *** [AirTunesServer.o] Error 1
make: *** [xbmc/network/network.a] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

followed by a list of what I assume are unfinished jobs (CPP xbmc/...)

This is not the "XBMC built successfully" message I had been hoping for. Any ideas on how to get XBMC correctly built?

Thanks again for the help.

Hello again!

There appears to be a bug with airplay/airtunes. To fix this, after the
./configure --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd

add

--disable-airplay --disable-airtunes after --disable-crystalhd

so you'll end up with:

./configure --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd --disable-airplay --disable-airtunes

It should then compile fine!
Excellent!

That did it! Not sure why my experience deviated from the original instructions but I very much appreciate the help. One thing I did notice though. I currently have XBMC 12.0 installed which I'm assuming is a nightly and as such will be extremely unstable. The whole point of this exercise was to move to a more stable 11.0 Eden version of xbmc but without all the flaws of XBMCbuntu. Am I wrong to assume this?

This seems to be proven by the fact that I am unable to change the skin to anything but Confluence and while it looks nice, it has removed a bit of the customizability that we have come to know and love. Any advice?

Thanks,
Rob
to get stable do
git clone -b Eden git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git

instead of
git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git

Or just just get with the program and replace xbmc-live with lightdm and you will more or less have a lucid xbmcbuntu.
(no guarantees of course)
ha, thanks for the advice vik. I'm willing to give this upgrade one more shot but a build xbmcbuntu on lucid may be in my future.

UPDATE: Using the provided help I was able to get my former Live install completely updated to Eden! A big thanks for all the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Guide] Upgrade XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) installation into Eden3