• 1(current)
Video scaling in Eden
Question 
Hi,

I'm new to XMBC, but it looks very promising.

Just installed Eden, but I can't find the option for video scaling. I believe this is the setting which would prevent what is currenty happening; in detail my 720p videos are just covering 90% of my 1080p screen. I'd like to keep the 1:1 pixel mapping, I just wan't 720p scaled.

Have I misunderstood something here?

Thanks in advance!
If it is the GUI as well as videos look at settings\system\video output\video calibration. If it is just videos press "enter" while the video is playing and it should step thru the different scaling modes.
Thank you. I found the settings page and found the video scaling options to be locked to "DXVA", in other words I was not able to change it.

Other settings I have is:

1:1 pixel mapping
Zoom amount; 1

Anyone?
DXVA is the renderer you are using. You can't change that.
Increase zoom amount to scale proportionally.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
While watching the video, if you hit enter to toggle thru the 'zoom' modes you should see one called normal. That should automatically fill the video to the screen proportionally, at least that is what it "normally" does.
I was also surprised that the choice of scaling only works with a soft-decoding. In other players it does not matter and it always works. I wonder what algorithm is used with h/w decoding.Bilinear or worse(nearest neighbor)?
(2012-03-30, 13:03)pspeters Wrote: I believe this is the setting which would prevent what is currenty happening; in detail my 720p videos are just covering 90% of my 1080p screen. I'd like to keep the 1:1 pixel mapping, I just wan't 720p scaled.

Probably your card is doing underscan. If you have Ati, you need to manually go through all available 1920x1080 resolution/refresh rate combinations and disable underscan one by one in CCC.

(2012-03-31, 06:10)MONSTA Wrote: I was also surprised that the choice of scaling only works with a soft-decoding. In other players it does not matter and it always works. I wonder what algorithm is used with h/w decoding.Bilinear or worse(nearest neighbor)?

This is about to change: #838. Wink DXVA scaling algorithm depends on card and driver. My HD 6570 scaling for example looks like spline. But bilinear is common on low-end cards.
(2012-04-01, 19:06)a11599 Wrote: My HD 6570 scaling for example looks like spline.
looks like or absolutely sure?Smile When works s/w decoding I can choose the method of scaling.There are spline,lanczos,bicubic,etc.When it goes with dxva can not. Here's the problem.I do not know what algorithm is used.If the maximum possible for my card then I would be happySmile,but I'm not sure about that.
Thanks for the link, but I do not quite understand. I'm sending a signal in native fps or double 24> 24,25>50. It is easier for card than 60.
(2012-04-01, 19:06)a11599 Wrote:
(2012-03-30, 13:03)pspeters Wrote: I believe this is the setting which would prevent what is currenty happening; in detail my 720p videos are just covering 90% of my 1080p screen. I'd like to keep the 1:1 pixel mapping, I just wan't 720p scaled.

Probably your card is doing underscan. If you have Ati, you need to manually go through all available 1920x1080 resolution/refresh rate combinations and disable underscan one by one in CCC.

(2012-03-31, 06:10)MONSTA Wrote: I was also surprised that the choice of scaling only works with a soft-decoding. In other players it does not matter and it always works. I wonder what algorithm is used with h/w decoding.Bilinear or worse(nearest neighbor)?

This is about to change: #838. Wink DXVA scaling algorithm depends on card and driver. My HD 6570 scaling for example looks like spline. But bilinear is common on low-end cards.

I was looking into that code (the commit of the pull request)and found this 2 attributes: m_DXVAPreferHQScalers and m_videoEnableHighQualityHwScalers!!!
is this the way to anable this HQ scaler with DXVA:
<video>
<enablehighqualityhwscalers>true</enablehighqualityhwscalers>
<preferdxvahqscalers>true</preferdxvahqscalers>
</video>
Huh
(2012-04-01, 19:06)a11599 Wrote:

On other thing: i just recognized, that your Pull-Request from your link, hasn't gone into master yet!
Therefore two things:
can you give me a hint how to include your patch in my own build of XBMC (i do that daily from master)?

PS: do you have a DIFF or commited a patch, that i can use in compiling my own build? I don't know any other way, than compiling your branch of XBMC (which would be older then the master branch)
So I'm trying to figure out, did patch #838 to enable high quality DXVA scaling ever make it into XBMC, and if so how do I enable it? I have an AMD 5450 and from what I understand only does bilinear scaling in XBMC even though it is capable of more. I want to use lanczos3 or something better but there is no option to change DXVA scaling in Frodo 12.1.

Going by this post does this mean it is still not integrated into master?

(2013-02-19, 11:54)a11599 Wrote: #838 does work with Frodo (I just built a 12.0 with this patch integrated for myself), although it might need some minor adjustments to inject nicely into current code. However, it is just an extension to enable shader based scaling for DXVA decoding/rendering and as such would not fix your original issue. Smile

Also, CYUV2RGBShader is not needed for #838 since it only does scaling, color space conversion is done by the DXVA processor (before scaling).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1341421

Quote:If "Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2)" is on, then all subsequent rendering methods are only DXVA2 (i.e. the card vendor supplied driver's algorithm). If it is off, you can still use DXVA2 for deinterlacing and scaling. You can also choose hardware accelerated video scaling (Lanczos3 etc.) as well as crappy software scaling (Bilnear etc.), while deinterlacing is always software mode ("De-interlace" etc.) and the quality less than satisfactory.

The best deinterlacing method (DXVA2 Best) and the best video scaling method (Lanczos, except for Jinc) never work at the same time in XBMC internal player whatever card you use. If you care about the best PQ, you'd better use an external player with madVR (DXVA2 for Intel).

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457107/dxva2-...t_22942407

Thanks for the help.
Anyone?
The patch is not in master because as reported it has problems on NV cards (video goes black when changing scaling methods during playback) but I can neither test or attempt to fix it because everything around me is Ati.

There are some factually incorrect statements in that avsforum post (or my 6570 is an exception). If your card has the power you can do DXVA Best and Lanczos/Spline scaling. At least it works with my HD 6570 without any issues. Not sure about the 5450, but I guess it still should have enough power to do it at least with SD videos. Also with DXVA scaling my HD 6570 does definitely better than bilinear (it looks like something between Spline and Lanczos).

You can install the 12.1 build I am using (this is pure 12.1 plus my personal patches from my sig included):
http://subvoice.hu/xbmc/XBMCSetup-12.1-dx.exe

Or if you want to make your own builds, here is a Frodo adjusted patch (not sure about compatibility with current nightlies):
http://pastebin.com/J01c4CYK
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Which is the best scaling method for AMD cards, Lanczos3 or Lanczos3 optimized? What's the difference? They all work fine on my 5450.

There is a huge improvement going from DXVA scaling to any of the other options. DXVA looks the same as bicubic to me. I'm not exaggerating when I say this. I focused on the tire/rim of a car when switching through the modes. In DXVA/bicubic the rim is blurry and soft, in Lanczos it is razor sharp. I can't believe the detail I was missing. It's like it's not even the same video!

The only anomaly I see is a thin line flicker that appears horizontally across the screen whenever you enter or exit the OSD, or change the scaling. This only lasts a millisecond and you don't even really notice it unless you are really paying attention.

Even if this never makes it into master I hope you will keep the patch updated with future builds. I wish I had found this a long time ago. I watch a lot of 720p content on a 1080p output and the difference is nothing short of amazing. I've heard people say XBMC scaling was poor but I never realized it was this bad. I hope the Nvidia problems can get hammered out. This would benefit so many people.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video scaling in Eden 0