Another No sound over HDMI
Hey guys, I've searched around and tried varying solutions to this problem but nothing seems to work. I've tried the latest 'Eden' release installing it first as an application on Ubuntu I was running at the time then switching back to Live (or XBMCbuntu in this case). In both instances I have no sound over HDMI, something which worked fine in the Dharma release.

I'm using an NVIDIA Ion on an Acer Revo R3700.

It was originally muted in alsamixer and I unmuted it there, it still had no sound over HDMI but was now throwing up a "audio device failed to initialize" error whenever I tried to play any video file.

I've tried entering various custom options which people have posted that worked for them but still no dice.

Anyone have any other suggestions or should I roll back and wait for an update? (however long that may be).
To determine the custom device to use in XBMC, just run aplay -l and look for some similar to the following in the output:

Code:
Card [b]X[/b]: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device [b]Y[/b]: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: #/#

In XBMC, enter your custom device as plughw:X,Y. If that doesn't work, post what you have for your ~/.asoundrc (if you have one) and your /etc/asound.conf file, as well as the output you get when you run grep eld_valid /proc/asound/NVidia/eld*.

IIRC, I used the following thread to get mine working, but I can't remember what exactly out of each I used. If you're still having troubles after trying some of this stuff out I can verify exactly what steps I used to get it working by checking my configurations.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1668737

Good Luck!

Edit: Another thing you could try is booting live off XBMC-Live or XBMCbuntu and see if it works. I recall it working fine when booting live off XBMC-Live, but not working after I installed XBMC-Live to disk... If that's the case you could just compare the settings when running Live vs running Installed and copy the configs..
XBMCbuntu {Frodo} - Ubuntu 12.04 (Main):
Intel Q6600 [2.4GHz Quad Core], 4GB DDR3, nVidia GT-210, Antec Fusion Case (iMon LCD), PS3 BD Remote

XBMC Live {Frodo} - Ubuntu 10.04 (Bedroom): Intel Atom D510 [1.66GHz Dual Core], ION Graphics, 2GB DDR2, PS3 BD Remote
Thanks for the reply, tried your first suggestion and the audio works but only on avi files. MKV (with what I assume are AAC audio) just produce an awful tearing/clicking sound.

Guess I'll play around with it some more but glad to have some sound! Thanks for your help!
Are you running your XBMC through a receiver or direct to your TV? Sounds like whatever you're running it through might not support the codec being used perhaps?
XBMCbuntu {Frodo} - Ubuntu 12.04 (Main):
Intel Q6600 [2.4GHz Quad Core], 4GB DDR3, nVidia GT-210, Antec Fusion Case (iMon LCD), PS3 BD Remote

XBMC Live {Frodo} - Ubuntu 10.04 (Bedroom): Intel Atom D510 [1.66GHz Dual Core], ION Graphics, 2GB DDR2, PS3 BD Remote
Im having trouble playing MKVs too, though for me is no audio whatsoever, and everything else works fine (vobs, avis, wmv, m4 and so on). I'm baffled because they used to work well with Dharma (though was on analog). And VLC plays them fine.
Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).
I also have an Acer Revo 3700 and ended up using the following custom device:

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

I found this by logging into terminal and typing "aplay -L" (without quotes) and using the entry labeled hdmi. Try that and see if it works, it worked for me.
(2012-04-01, 02:21)MWRecords Wrote: I also have an Acer Revo 3700 and ended up using the following custom device:

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

I found this by logging into terminal and typing "aplay -L" (without quotes) and using the entry labeled hdmi. Try that and see if it works, it worked for me.

this also worked for me.
(2012-03-31, 16:35)kr322 Wrote: Thanks for the reply, tried your first suggestion and the audio works but only on avi files. MKV (with what I assume are AAC audio) just produce an awful tearing/clicking sound.

Guess I'll play around with it some more but glad to have some sound! Thanks for your help!

This is most likely due to the fact that you have DTS and AC3 capable receiver checked in the settings. If you're connected directly to your TV, you might have AC3 (Dolby Digital) decoding capability, but I doubt your TV will handle DTS encoded material. If you're connected directly to an A/V receiver, make sure it has the ability to decode AC3 and DTS content. Otherwise, you'll need to deselect those options and have everything downmixed to stereo.
KR,

Check out my guide here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1063134

It looks like you and I have a very similar setup.

Hopefully that sheds some light on your problem.

--Rubbernuts
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worked for me too!! BIG Thanks!

XBMCbuntu Eden 11.0 installed on Acer Aspire Revo 3700

...now...off to sort my Harmony remote out! haha

peace

dok

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another No sound over HDMI0