[XBMCbuntu] Video output issues on HDMI with Eden
Question 
I have been an XBMC Live user for a couple of years, and I absolutely love it. I recently updated to XBMCbuntu version of Eden, and I was totally impressed. So impressed, that I convinced my friend to convert from a Windows XP/Dharma setup to the Eden version XBMCbuntu. After a few tweaks, his setup was up and running, with one major glitch. When he uses an HDMI cable (or a DVI to HDMI cable) to connect to his TV, he is limited to 720p. The operating system does not even give you the option of resolutions higher than 1280X720. When he uses an old VGA cable, we can get XBMCbuntu to output to 1920X1080. On his XP/Dharma set-up, he was able to get 1080p to his TV with the HDMI cable. Here are his system specs:

Althon X2 265 proc
4gb RAM
nVidia 520 with 1gb VRAM

I am at a loss as to how to fix this issue. Could there be a problem with his xorg.conf? If so, how can I correct it? Is their a way to force the required 1920X1080 resolution? I am still a Linux "abuser" but not afraid of the command line. If more information is needed, I will be happy to provide it. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

linesma.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Okay, I have tracked the problem down to the driver not getting a proper EEID from the TV when connected via an HDMI cable. How can I go about finding this number and then tell the driver to use the proper one?
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Did you figure it out? It might be the problem with mine.
(2012-04-02, 09:47)linesma Wrote: Okay, I have tracked the problem down to the driver not getting a proper EEID from the TV when connected via an HDMI cable. How can I go about finding this number and then tell the driver to use the proper one?

On my system the NVidia software gets the EEID, in my case from my receiver. In NVidia-Settings there is an option to obtain it.
The other way is to look at the manual for your TV and find the horizontal & vertical refresh rates and add them to your xorg.conf.

eg
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Monitor"
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "YAMAHA"
ModelName "YMH RX-V671"
HorizSync 15.0 - 91.0
VertRefresh 23.0 - 121.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

You may also need something like this