Minimum Hardware
Hi all

I'm thinking of purchasing a new panel for my bedroom.

So with this in mind, what other equipment would I need to successfully stream (possibly via an ethernet cable if possible), the collection of movies I have on the HTPC I've set up in my lounge.

If the question sounds a bit vague, I'm sorry. I'm relatively new to XBMC.

Regards

Wiggo
ATV2 running XBMC hooked to a Nas makes sense... otherwise a long HDMI or wireless solution might do it, but don't count on 1080p.
Thanks for your reply.

So if I purchased one of these, how would I be able to set XBMC up on it to play from my setup in the lounge?

I would prefer an ethernet connection to stream through rather than wireless. If that is possible of course.

Wiggo
The ATV2 cannot handle 1080p at all. So don't just not expect it, rule it out of the equation completely.

To install XBMC on ATV, you first have to jailbreak the device - there is an ocean of info on how to do this just google "jailbreak ATV2". You will likely use a program called PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze. Then install XBMC app via Cydia. Cydia is the jailbreak version of the iTunes App Store. After that, it's as simple as telling it where your media content is stored, and it will connect via ethernet cable

Alternativley, you could buy a nettop and run XBMCbuntu, or install Windows and run XBMC on top of that. The advantage of the nettop is you can easily purchase a nettop with 1080p ability, no jailbreaking, and you get more options as to how it installs. You would connect via wired ethernet to your media (some nettops have wifi built in, but not all)

Lastly, you could build your own machine, which many if not most have done. This allows you to fine tune the features your system has, can help you save money, and still provides the benefits of the nettop. The downside is more effort on your part. You could connect to your media via wired ethernet or wifi depending on how you build your system.
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
ATV2 can playback 1080 just fine. It just doesn't output 1080.
Ok, I'm going to purchase an nettop setup sometime in the next week or so.

So prior to me getting it, can anyone point me to a tutorial that will explain how I can stream from my set up in the lounge to play the content I have on that to the nettop device please?

I'll have it connected via ethernet from a router which has an output to the main HTPC.

Many thanks for your help Guys.

Wiggo
It all depends on your OS.

If you're running Windows on your HTPC, then all you should have to do is share your folders which contain your media.

Then when you purchase your nettop, just install XBMC and when adding source, look for SMB share to find your networked HTPC.
Wow, as simple as that?

Thanks very much for your concise help.

Wiggo
Ok, maybe not that easy lol.

I've installed XBMC 11 on my laptop and it has given me the option to add the SMB share to it. But when I attempt to add it, it shows an icon in the bottom tight corner saying 'Working'. That happens for a few seconds and then stops.

It isnt showing the media I have on my main setup.

Any clues please?

Edit: I think I've worked it out. What a great piece of software.

Many thanks.

Wiggo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimum Hardware0