Read the metadata tags from video container files and import into database / library?
2 years is a lot of time to learn to do the minimal work required. Sometimes all that's required is someone just wanting to learn - not necessarily doing it to get someone motivated.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi, really interesting thread!

I too am amazed that not only XBMC but no-one-no-where supports in-file video tagging!

I think this is because most media software uses the FFMPEG/libavformat library as core which uses the map_metadata filter - but using it (via the Avanti GUI) it was unable to pick up metadata from AVI files but could from WMV files - ie. it seems a bit patchy. You can actually specify which tags you want to put into the output file / media database but then you have to know which tags are supported by which containers.

Mediainfo library is better at pulling tags but that has come to a dead end at XBMC.

The core of the problem is that there is no standardisation between containers and metadata formats.

So, how do I get my AVI collection with 'Recorded date' tag seamlessy mapped into MP4 with 'Recorded date' tag so it can be read by some media software that reads any-format 'Recorded date' tag? I'm afraid the short answer is that the required software has not been written. I think we must wait until some kind of standardisation is brought in. The idea of software that can bring together all the different container/metadata specs for seamless mapping is mindboggling.

This blog is illuminating: http://multimedia.cx/eggs/supplying-ffmp...ent-226247
Hi there, I am thinking about picking this up as a project, I am currently writing a utility to tag .mp4's with data from a standard .nfo too, my hope is to package all the poster, fanart and nfo information into
the mp4 tag container then have XBMC extract what it needs. May look to support .mkv as well, at some point in the future.

Anyway, if there is a lot of interest and might just start work on it Wink
@monty68 I'm interested definitely! Like many other posters, I've got a growing library in iTunes and I've put a lot of effort curating the metadata and making sure it is correct. After running xbmc through its paces, its too unpredictable for my liking so I think for a lot of people it makes sense for xbmc to just use the iTunes metadata.
I've started work on the standalone utility and the required changes to enhance XBMC for MP4/M4V metadata tag support
I have a very crude alpha working so a few weeks away due to work commitments before I could release a worth while alpha, but using TagLib
will not cut it for video files (MP4) as it doesn't support > 2Gb files without some heavy re-writing so I'm implementing a more light weight
tagging library for video files, MP4's working OK so far, MKV and AVI support are on the road map all of which will be supported through my
standalone tool which will tag your files from NFO files. MP4's are tagged with
full iTunes compatible tags.
(2013-05-29, 01:17)monty68 Wrote: I have a very crude alpha working so a few weeks away due to work commitments before I could release a worth while alpha, but using TagLib
will not cut it for video files (MP4) as it doesn't support > 2Gb files without some heavy re-writing so I'm implementing a more light weight
tagging library for video files, MP4's working OK so far, MKV and AVI support are on the road map all of which will be supported through my
standalone tool which will tag your files from NFO files. MP4's are tagged with
full iTunes compatible tags.

Great news! Is Subler of any help regarding overcoming 2gb limit?
(2014-04-23, 21:18)ironic_monkey Wrote: if anyone wants to add this to mainline, note that there is some basic support in my fork at https://github.com/notspiff/xbmc-cmake
Resurrecting this old request from the grave now that a FFmpeg tag loader been marged into mainline, see http://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8212

Please have Kodi read metadata tags from video containers such as .MP4 and import the data into the library database.
A request? Have you been on these forums all this time? They don't do requests. They tell you to do it yourself if you want it and then scold you for even asking. LOL. Your only hope is that one of the developers happens to "want" a feature too. I only recall one or two developers that even liked Apple products so adding tags for what is mostly an Apple format hasn't been any kind of priority (trust me I've waited well over half a decade with AppleTV units that have meta data supported for video with no such feature in sight on XBMC/KODI).

Given ATV1 support has more or less dried up (Crystal Ubuntu is gone and OSMC is "coming soon" forever now with no update in sight and OpenElec doesn't run very well with it from what I've read), it doesn't even matter at this point. I wanted that tag reading feature so I could ditch the (old but otherwise superior) Apple interface, but even then things like "Search" just aren't there or as good and Apple has such a nice iOS "Remote" as well. I'm hoping the new AppleTV with App Store will handle my non-Apple formats with an App and then I won't have to worry about my old Gen1 units or whether or not XBMC/KODI runs or not.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.
Needs someone with the time & skill to PR this https://github.com/notspiff/kodi-cmake/c...7f8e786dfe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Read the metadata tags from video container files and import into database / library?1