Living Room Remodel for Main XBMC Setup
I just recently bought a new house and wanted to share the remodel done in the living room to accommodate A/V equipment and my XBMC setup! I've posted my setup before but I'm super excited about how this new setup turned out! Enjoy!

The living room had a very old fireplace that we would probably never use since there was a wood stove in the space right next to the living room (open floor plan). Plus I knew i wanted my TV on this particular wall.

Decided it would be best to remove the fireplace and just cover it with drywall and add a new subfloor so I hired some guys to do the demo.

We discovered that the hearth was fairly structural to the fireplace. Removing it would have caused the fireplace to collapse. I was left with a 3" bump out from what was left over from the old hearth. What to do now?

I decided to frame a new wall about 4 inches from the old wall. This actually makes it easier to run the cabling I needed for surrounds and ethernet as well as adding power for the TV.

Ran speaker cables for rear surrounds as well as front highs. Also had a smurf tube for HDMI and the Xbox Kinect extension cable.

Drywalled!

Continued...

Cutouts for ethernet, hdmi, xbox kinect as well as speaker wires.

Cutouts in ceiling for rear surrounds (rear side and rear L/R).

Wall mount installed with stand for components. Tower speakers are Polk Audio Monitor 60s with a Polk Audio CS20 center. Wife chose "Harvest Pumpkin" for the accent wall.

Ethernet wall plate and speaker plug plate all buttoned up.

In-Ceiling speakers installed from Monoprice. Protip: Use a pencil and NOT a sharpie when drawing out cutouts from the template. Sad

Samsung PN63D7000 wall mounted with Kinect. Receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR708 with Audyssey (9.1). Front high and wide speakers are Polk Audio OMW3s. Also have my HTPC ( E8400, 60gb ssd, 4gb ddr2, Geforce 520, Silverstone GD05B99) running XBMC.

HTPC is connected via gigabit to 2 unRAID servers (1 for movies (6TB) and 1 for TV Shows(4TB)) that's in my garage. Gigabit is also run through the entire house for the bedroom XBMC setups.
Love it! Super awesome setup, looks clean, and you got everything, htpc, server, speaker system, a nice TV, ohh lala looks great!

Enjoy your new house, and your new setup!!
just like i want mine Tongue

maybe one day, who knows!

good job!!
Great job.
Really love the nice wiring with the wall plates!

Enjoy the new house!
Nice solution with the false wall.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Looks amazing.
Looks really nice!

Only thing that always bugs me is the wiring. Sad Hoping for better wireless possibilities in the future.
It looks like we have a lot to learn from you. Brilliant idea for that wall, the room looks a lot different now. And I thought that installing a sleek new fixture is a difficult task... Thank you for inspiring us!

I like the rack. It'd never work in my garage though. It's 0F in the winter and 100F in the summer. Plus. my kids would lay their bikes against it. I have my setup in the basement where it's 55F-60F all year.
Really nice! Hope I one day with hard work be able to do something too......
Looks good!
But be honest...Do you have 2 unRaid servers so that you didn't have to buy a license?
(2012-05-15, 03:38)hick Wrote: Looks good!
But be honest...Do you have 2 unRaid servers so that you didn't have to buy a license?

lmao

My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
LOL....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Living Room Remodel for Main XBMC Setup0