Linux Compile XBMC-PVR (Debian Squeeze) - TVHeadend ?
Question 
Hi,

I'd like to run XBMC-PVR with TVHeadend on a Debian Squeeze system. Since there are no new (debian multimedia only holds dharma) pre-build packages I tried to build it on my own.

First I got the source with

Quote:git clone https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc.git

and then I built it successfully according to the readme.linux. XBMC runs Smile !

BUT - where do I find the TVheadend server ?

I thought a special version of tvheadend is necessary and is part of the package ? The regular package from lonelycoder repository doesn't work with XBMC-PVR, does it ?

Greetz

LastCoder

HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
I don't use the tvheadend bundled from package.pulse

I use another version that has some transcoding and another patch. https://github.com/john-tornblom/tvheadend

It doesn't seem to cause me any issues with xbmc pvr, I assume opdenkamp submits all fixes back to tvheadend anyway.

(2012-03-31, 11:41)LastCoder Wrote: Hi,

I'd like to run XBMC-PVR with TVHeadend on a Debian Squeeze system. Since there are no new (debian multimedia only holds dharma) pre-build packages I tried to build it on my own.

First I got the source with

Quote:git clone https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc.git

and then I built it successfully according to the readme.linux. XBMC runs Smile !

BUT - where do I find the TVheadend server ?

I thought a special version of tvheadend is necessary and is part of the package ? The regular package from lonelycoder repository doesn't work with XBMC-PVR, does it ?

Greetz

LastCoder

Hi xxxnelly,

thx for the info !

Okay .. I'll give it a try .. one question for understanding - you write "I don't use the tvheadend bundled from package.pulse .. I use another version that has .." .. that means that tvheadend is part of the git repository Huh But if so .. how do I get and compile it Huh

Greetz

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
UNCHAINED Demo Group
(2012-03-31, 12:46)LastCoder Wrote: Okay .. I'll give it a try .. one question for understanding - you write "I don't use the tvheadend bundled from package.pulse .. I use another version that has .." .. that means that tvheadend is part of the git repository Huh But if so .. how do I get and compile it Huh

I just grab the source from github, the little zip icon, then unzip.

run the following commands

./configure --release
make
then cp the resulting file(build.Linux/tvheadend) to my /usr/bin/tvheadend - this is the location that the /etc/init.d/tvheadend script uses to start|stop tvheadend

okay .. I downloaded johnny's tvheadend and compiled .. started tvheadend, adfter start it told me that configurationfile was created at /home/me/.hts/tvheadend .. but there is no configuration file which shows me the default login for the webinterface ?!?!

And how to you start it as service ? I had to start it from console with "tvheadend" ?!

Any suggestions ?

Greetz

LastCoder

UNCHAINED Demo Group
(2012-03-31, 12:56)LastCoder Wrote: okay .. I downloaded johnny's tvheadend and compiled .. started tvheadend, adfter start it told me that configurationfile was created at /home/me/.hts/tvheadend .. but there is no configuration file which shows me the default login for the webinterface ?!?!

And how to you start it as service ? I had to start it from console with "tvheadend" ?!

here is my init.d file to start|stop - this was then added to my services that are starting when restarting the machine.
http://pastebin.com/XMbtRrnz

I think the first time you start tvheadend you need to add -C so it starts with no username/password then save some settings - its been so long since I first installed tvheadend
HTS Tvheadend 2.12.99
usage: tvheadend [options]

-a <adapters> Use only DVB adapters specified (csv)
-c <directory> Alternate configuration path.
Defaults to [$HOME/.hts/tvheadend]
-f Fork and daemonize
-u <username> Run as user <username>, only works with -f
-g <groupname> Run as group <groupname>, only works with -f
-C If no useraccount exist then create one with
no username and no password. Use with care as
it will allow world-wide administrative access
to your Tvheadend installation until you edit
the access-control from within the Tvheadend UI
-s Log debug to syslog

Development options

-d Log debug to console
-j <id> Statically join the given transport id
-r <tsfile> Read the given transport stream file and present
found services as channels
-A Immediately call abort()

hey, thx a lot ! didn't know about -C option .. now I can login !

btw. I have used "checkinstall" to build *.deb packages for me, which has the advantage that I can install or uninstall it with dpkg

btw: you use Ubuntu for your backend .. why didn't you take the ppa ?
UNCHAINED Demo Group
(2012-03-31, 13:09)LastCoder Wrote: hey, thx a lot ! didn't know about -C option .. now I can login !

btw. I have used "checkinstall" to build *.deb packages for me, which has the advantage that I can install or uninstall it with dpkg

btw: you use Ubuntu for your backend .. why didn't you take the ppa ?

The main reason was that my EPG colour coding wasn't working in XBMC due to the radiotimes xmltv feed in the UK not matching with the rules to define the categories. XBMC timeline EPG doesn't look very nice when its all grey... So I wrote something that worked for me - then compiled it.

https://github.com/oneadvent/tvheadend has actually taken this further, and submitted a pull request with a proper fix rather than a hack that worked for me. I am a java programmer so still figuring out what the best tools to use for c or c++. I haven't spend much time, but would like a proper IDE so I can learn the syntax and be able to debug properly, not sure what everyone uses in this space.

Neil

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compile XBMC-PVR (Debian Squeeze) - TVHeadend ?0