maintenance/cleaning
Hello,

I've had a stable setup for some time now and for the most part still do. I haven't really changed anything major lately and I'm starting to notice some slowing down, random screen glitches or a rare crash. I don't have a ton of addons nothing out of the ordinary. I'd like to keep things nice and tidy, does anyone have suggestions or personal preferences they do to maintain /clean out unused files, refresh databases, etc.

I'm running xbmcbuntu Frodo12.2
Aeon Nox skin
3TB internal HD
wired connection
8gb of ram (I think xbmc only uses 4 max, future proofing maybeBlush)
AMD cpu, ASUS motherboard,
HDMI to 52 inch Panasonic plasma.

Thanks in advance!
Main HTPC/Server, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0
ASUS Chromebox, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0, Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO Mod
Not an addon (it's a command line script), but the Texture Cache Maintenance utility probably does a lot of what you want (the name is now a bit of a misnomer): cache (and re-cache) artwork, clean/re-scan audio or video libraries, run quality checks on your media, prune the thumbnail cache of unused files, correct texture database errors, view media library details, run add-ons, find missing media, backup/restore watched status, etc. You can run it against remote clients or localhost, scheduled (eg. cron) or run manually.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
That looks pretty cool. I've only had to ssh to my box once many months ago so we'll see how that goes. Just for my curiosity deleting textures13db and thumbnails folder would be like a butcher's approach where your script more like a surgeons? That does sound like what I'm looking for.

While sort of on the subject what's your opinion on how and where to store artwork? I have a mix stored with my movies, along with nfo files, and others wherever xbmc stores them.

Thanks for the info. Would love to hear others input as well.
(2013-08-18, 08:55)shess757 Wrote: Just for my curiosity deleting textures13db and thumbnails folder would be like a butcher's approach where your script more like a surgeons?

Pretty much, yes.

(2013-08-18, 08:55)shess757 Wrote: While sort of on the subject what's your opinion on how and where to store artwork? I have a mix stored with my movies, along with nfo files, and others wherever xbmc stores them.

I prefer to store artwork alongside the corresponding movies and nfo files. This makes scanning much quicker, and should you add additional clients you'll have consistent artwork across all clients. Using internet based artwork tends to be a bit of a lucky dip.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
That's where I've been heading, thanks for the suggestions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
maintenance/cleaning0