• 3(current)
Option to use folder date for recently added movies
Yes I do realize this is for the next release of xbmc and I will wait till the nightly builds become sort of stable before I try them again. I am just looking ahead and everything I already have in my library has NFO's. It would not be easy to modify all of them to make it work with these changes.

All I was trying to say and I was wondering is if something else could be implemented to make it work with existing libraries full of existing NFO's.

If it can't be done no worries.

Maybe Media Companion could be changed some day so it adds the needed line to all the NFO's new and existing?
I already mentioned earlier in this thread that this whole feature only applies to videos that are newly scanned into the library independent of whether they have an NFO file or not. That's how it always is with new features. Sometimes it's possible to add the information on the fly but sometimes it isn't. In this case the dateadded value is retrieved by reading file properties and that would take quite a while for people who have their files stored on a NAS or something like that so it's not really feasable.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I know it would require a rescan the entire library. The only reason I stared this thread is to find a way to maintain recently added when the entire library is rescaned.
As an FYI I have committed two fixes today. The first takes care of the creation/modification date problem by always picking the newer of the two dates for video files. The second fixes dateadded for stacked files.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I love this change. This has been bugging me for a long time when I would refresh info. Now it makes more sense and on the plus side it helped me find some files which had strange modifications dates in the future. I fixed those and now my recently added movies looks as it should even when I refresh info for old movies. Thanks a ton for this!
I'm also really looking forward to this change -- it's one of those little things that's bugged me every time I've had to re-scan my library from scratch (happened recently when I did a clean update -- somehow everything got blown away in the process).

Can I ask if there's a semi-stable build with this in it? (ie: seems to work for one of you during normal use?) I haven't used the daily builds in a while but would love to give this one a shot.
It has been in the nightlies for a while now. You can try one of the Fordo alphas if you like. I feel they are "semi" stable. But your results may vary.
I just tried this out in the latest nightly - very nice!

I suppose it's already been discussed elsewhere - but why does it use the newer of the create/modified dates (windows)? I happen to notice some movies that were added back in 2009 but have today's modified date.. no idea actually how they were 'modified' since I haven't touched that movie or folder.. just curious what the logic is between using creation and modified.. also, is there any option to configure the use of creation instead (ie: config option)?

>> creation/modification date problem by always picking the newer of the two dates for video files

Either way - I am a very happy camper -- much appreciated!!

joe
PR1034 of mine will bring a configuration option to advancedsettings.xml. We're still discussing what to set as the default value though.
I have merged the pull request with the default value being the behaviour that prefers mtime over ctime or the current time. To get the old (Eden) behaviour back <dateadded> in <videolibrary> needs to be set to 0. To get XBMC to choose the newer date from mtime and ctime <dateadded> needs to be set to 2.
And a value of 1 will be the older date between mtime and ctime?
A value of 1 is the initial implementation logic which uses mtime and falls back to ctime if mtime is invalid.
Okay. Good to know. Thanks for this feature.
I just wanted to post an update that this has been working great for me.. using the modified date makes sense and I imagine whatever option you choose (created or modified date) there's always going to be some content that end up getting marked incorrectly. That can be fixed easily enough.

I am curious if you know why a library export would end up changing a video's modified date though? I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me (I did an export before removing the source and re-adding to test this new feature). I understand all of the metadata changing, but not sure why the content would ever change via an export.

Also, I know this was discussed in another thread - but if it matters I do see some benefit to this logic for TV shows as well. For example, I recently wanted to get & watch an old(er) series. The TV sort by date option, however, applies to the series date (which this series is older than most I have). It'd be useful (at least to me anyway..) to always see the series listed in order of most recently updated episode (ie: modified/created date). That would let some of the stale series fall down to the bottom of the list and keeps the active ones at the top. Anyway, I get how this would be more complicated but just adding my $.02!

>> To get XBMC to choose the newer date from mtime and ctime <dateadded> needs to be set to 2

oh, 1 last note (sorry!): For your advancedproperties setting, wouldn't it make more sense if "2" used the created date instead of modified date? So, "1" (default) uses modified date and "2" uses created date. Since modified date is very likely always newer than created date - wouldn't "1" and "2" end up with the same results most of the time?

thanks
joe
(2012-06-13, 16:59)jpage4500 Wrote: I just wanted to post an update that this has been working great for me.. using the modified date makes sense and I imagine whatever option you choose (created or modified date) there's always going to be some content that end up getting marked incorrectly. That can be fixed easily enough.
Agreed.

(2012-06-13, 16:59)jpage4500 Wrote: I am curious if you know why a library export would end up changing a video's modified date though? I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me (I did an export before removing the source and re-adding to test this new feature). I understand all of the metadata changing, but not sure why the content would ever change via an export.
I have to admit I have no clue. The library export doesn't touch your actual media file. But the dateadded value is exported as well, maybe something went wrong during the export or the import there?

(2012-06-13, 16:59)jpage4500 Wrote: Also, I know this was discussed in another thread - but if it matters I do see some benefit to this logic for TV shows as well. For example, I recently wanted to get & watch an old(er) series. The TV sort by date option, however, applies to the series date (which this series is older than most I have). It'd be useful (at least to me anyway..) to always see the series listed in order of most recently updated episode (ie: modified/created date). That would let some of the stale series fall down to the bottom of the list and keeps the active ones at the top. Anyway, I get how this would be more complicated but just adding my $.02!
Yeah the problem is that depending on the use case one or the other way of handling date added makes more sense for tvshows (or all "groups" in that case) and we currently can't cover all of them unless we also introduce a lastModified value to the database.

(2012-06-13, 16:59)jpage4500 Wrote: >> To get XBMC to choose the newer date from mtime and ctime <dateadded> needs to be set to 2

oh, 1 last note (sorry!): For your advancedproperties setting, wouldn't it make more sense if "2" used the created date instead of modified date? So, "1" (default) uses modified date and "2" uses created date. Since modified date is very likely always newer than created date - wouldn't "1" and "2" end up with the same results most of the time?
The problem is that ctime has different meanings on different platforms. On Windows it's "creation time" but on linux it's "change time" and changes everytime a file is renamed, moved, changes owner/group or when it's content changes. That's why I specifically used "ctime" in the description and not "creation time". On linux there's no such thing as "creation time" (because not all filesystems support it).
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to use folder date for recently added movies0