Need some advice
Hey guys i'm looking for a little advice on hardware and setups what i have at the moment is this
  • Asus P7H55D-M EVO Motherboard
  • Core i5 661 CPU
  • 2 X 2GB kingston valueram (probably could have got better ram)
  • 80 plus Enermax 500w PSU
  • Samsung Bluray drive
  • 1X WD green 2TB 1X 1.5TB WD green and 1X 650GB Drives (will replace with all 2TB drives)
  • coolermaster CM 690 ii advanced case
  • PS3 playtv dvb-t box for tv with modified drivers to work with pc

In the rest of the house i have

• ATV2
  • PS3
  • an Old Lenovo g550 Laptop
  • Kindle fire (rooted)
  • ipod touch
  • And Raspberry Pi when it arrives.

The ATV2 will be replaced with ATV3 in future, besides the Raspberry Pi all the above devices are surprisingly used for streamed video from the HTPC even the ipod because of our baby and feeding the ipod is great.

I have had this setup for about 3 years now and it has been awesome for a HTPC but its time i get more organized i didn't need a graphics card because i didn't game and 1080p blurays worked flawlessly without but it would have been nice to get the extra power.

My goal is to have my data backed up if i loose a drive i can replace said drive and away i go again, and also add to the storage when i get new drives if this is possible.
I also want something that streams to all my devices, I'm guessing that my server will need to have a little horsepower to do the transcoding on the fly?? because my replacement HTPC will probably be a low powered device running xbmcbuntu I also want to have the server handle the tv side of things but its not a must with xbmc frodo pvr stuff this will be a must in the future the playtv will be replaced with tuner cards at a later date

so i have a couple questions

1.Is my current HTPC overkill for a server/unraid setup or not enough?? or should i just build one of eskro's unraid builds and keep the HTPC and be done with it

2.WHS/unraid what more suits my goal TV and video streaming wise? I have tried to research but i am a noob at server stuff

3. if i can use this setup as a server what else besides new hdd's and a ssd would you suggest i get

if anyone could help with even just one of the questions it may get me on the right track sorry for the confusing rant i always find it hard to say what i mean in text

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some advice0