Japanese Font Support ?
I've got XBMC installed on macbook and it's working pretty good but i cannot
get the files i have in Japanese to show up properly. I know that when i set up
my xbox it was just a matter of swapping out a font but is there a similar trick
for a mac based xbmc ? My old xbox it's just getting too noisy these days and i want to fullly swich to my mac set up. Any help would be appreacted Smile
Not a single reply to my query... Boy there's a lot of help here... NOT !!!!!!!No
mieko1970 Wrote:Not a single reply to my query... Boy there's a lot of help here... NOT !!!!!!!No

well, since you don't follow the rules for posting about problems, what can you expect Smile see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=47124
Changing the fonts is identical to the xbox version by the way, assuming you're using the same skin ofcourse (some skins may use something other than arial.ttf as the unicode fontset).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

s
jmarshall Wrote:Changing the fonts is identical to the xbox version by the way, assuming you're using the same skin ofcourse (some skins may use something other than arial.ttf as the unicode fontset).

THANK YOU !!!! That's all i wanted to know. Thank you for you assistance.
Copy "Arial Unicode.ttf" to Contents/Resources/XBMC/media/fonts on any given XBMC install (Dharma) and you don't have to "replace" anything. Just select "Arial Based" from the font drop down in System -> Appearance -> Skin instead of "default" and XBMC will automatically use the Unicode font when it needs it.

In regards to the reply above, I fail to see what the "rules" for posting problems has to do with anything given this problem is universal to all versions of XBMC. In fact, XBMC includes arial.ttf in that very directory. If "Arial Unicode.ttf" were included as well (or instead of), this would be a total non-issue for the user as all they would have to do is select "Arial based" from the font drop-down and it would work (all versions, all systems, all configurations).
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Arial Unicode.ttf is not a freely distributable font.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Are these freely distributable unicode fonts any good?

http://unifoundry.com/unifont.html
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
The quality of this unifoundry font is pretty low. Akin to a bitmap terminal font. I personally copy "MS PGothic.ttf" from my Windows machine into "/usr/share/xbmc/media/Fonts/arial.ttf" and select "arial.ttf" from the settings menu.

VonMagnum Wrote:Are these freely distributable unicode fonts any good?

http://unifoundry.com/unifont.html
(2011-02-14, 01:04)jmarshall Wrote: Arial Unicode.ttf is not a freely distributable font.

Why would you have to redistribute it when it's already present on many systems? AppleTV (Gen1 at least) already has it on the hard drive for use by Apple's own software. All XBMC has to do is check for the font and if present, use it. If not, don't. The technique used here is simply to put a copy where XBMC can see it since XBMC ignores fonts that aren't part of its own install. It'd be much simpler if XBMC just looked for a unicode font on its own and made it available for those that want to use it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Japanese Font Support ?0