Strange sound issues in Gotham (alpha 11)
I have an 5.1 system connected through HDMI and recently noticed that when movie is played, a continuous sounds are interrupted every second or so. Speech sounds good, music sounds ok too as long as it doesn't have continuous sounds in it.
I've been trying to debug that issue, downloaded some test 6 channel flac files and found out that they sound awful in any but 4.0 speaker configuration.

I've tried to connect my receiver through optical link and it works well, however, I'd prefer to keep it connected through HDMI.

I've tried a bunch of HDMI cables, turned all of the AVR options off and tried to enable/disable every setting in XBMC audio options and only speaker configuration seems to have any effect.

So, do you guys have any insight on how I might debug that problem further and maybe fix it eventually?
Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-01-26, 16:32)fritsch Wrote: Debug Log

I'm not quite sure what I should be looking at in that log. I've turned it on and switched between 4.0 and 5.1 channel configuration. There's nothing exciting in it though, no obvious failures.

This is when I switch to 4.0 configuration:

and this is when I have switched back to 5.1

Apart from very infrequent
Code:
11:16:08 T:139949987518208    INFO: CAESinkALSA - ALSA: pcm_hw.c:515:(snd_pcm_hw_delay) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_DELAY failed (-32): Broken pipe
11:16:08 T:139949987518208   ERROR: CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_writei(1)) - underrun
I'm not sure what could have caused garbled sound. It sounds very degraded, as trough very very cheap speaker when 5.1 configuration is set.
Thx again for cutting your logfile. Have fun solving that issue.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-01-27, 09:56)fritsch Wrote: Thx again for cutting your logfile. Have fun solving that issue.

Very helpful Smile

Are any of the AE developers around? With broken continuos sounds it really feels like some sort of a buffer is too small. Or maybe some sort of encoding delay is slightly bigger than it should be.

Also, is there a way to turn off the encoding and pass the sound as is over HDMI cable? Pass-through settings do not seem to make any difference.
he is one of the AE devs but since you cut your log which makes it useless he won't/can help you.
start reading the how to report a bug wiki and forum rules about posting logs on the forum.

also use the latest nightly for starters like mentioned in the last blog post.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-01-27, 11:14)Martijn Wrote: he is one of the AE devs but since you cut your log which makes it useless he won't/can help you.
start reading the how to report a bug wiki and forum rules about posting logs on the forum.

also use the latest nightly for starters like mentioned in the last blog post.

It is as useless uncut, the rest is cec spam. And anyway, it's too long to post here, so here's the link on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/J0ggd4UU

I'll try the nightly a bit later and post a log from it as well.
(2014-01-27, 12:05)vava Wrote: It is as useless uncut, the rest is cec spam. And anyway, it's too long to post here,

forum rules say:
- never cut any log. we want the FULL log
- never post logs on the forum but use pastebin.com

so you didn't read it.
other than that indeed install latest nightly version as some things have changed for linux
(2014-01-27, 12:22)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 12:05)vava Wrote: It is as useless uncut, the rest is cec spam. And anyway, it's too long to post here,

forum rules say:
- never cut any log. we want the FULL log
- never post logs on the forum but use pastebin.com

so you didn't read it.
other than that indeed install latest nightly version as some things have changed for linux

Guilty. In my defence, I read that link about dozen times over the last year and never noticed those rules. Anyway, I'm sorry.
lets hope the nightly install will fix the issues Smile
Quote:13.0-ALPHA11 Git:8eb49b3
Using Release XBMC x64 build, compiled Jan 4 2014 by GCC 4.8.1 for x86 Linux 64-bit 3.11.10

Please update. We have fixed those issues arround 12th January. It was a wrong transition in the state machine. I needed the header of your log in order to see which patches we pushed since then.

Edit: When you update, make sure to read this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PulseAudio As you are running a full blown PulseAudio installation xbmc will use PA by default, as you might not want this, the link has some info.
Thanks, update has helped. And thanks for the link as well, removed pulse audio. I wish though there would be a way to passthrough 5.1 TrueHD and DTS-HD to the receiver and still be able to send audio over bluetooth when needed but I guess I just want too much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange sound issues in Gotham (alpha 11)0