Need some pointers on CrystalBuntu on ATV1
Seems odd to me that the CPU utilization would be high due to a USB stick issue? I can try another one and see if that makes a difference but I would expect issues booting if there was an issue with the USB drive - my issue seems to be what the ATV box is doing once the OS is loaded. I'll find another drive and try tomorrow...thanks for the reply.
(2012-04-02, 04:49)puulima Wrote: I've been running XBMC on a patched ATV 1 for at least 3 years now (integrated into the Apple Interface) as well as a few Acer Revo's. Recently have stumbled on some threads about replacing the Apple OS with Linux - and specifically CrystalBuntu - but I'm completely new to Linux and want to do some reading and ensure I understand what I'm doing - and that I choose the correct flavor etc. I've comfortable connecting to my ATV via a terminal connection.

Can someone point me towards some links that will help me with the following:
- benefits of replacing the Apple OS on the ATV 1 and/or the pros/cons of doing this
- I found this thread Replace Apple OS on ATV 1 and it notes I can test CyrstalBuntu by booting from the USB - but if I DO replace the Apple OS - can it be restored later? Fairly certain I could do a factory restore (can I?) but sounds like I'd have to do the patchstick route again to get back to whre I am now?
- With CrystalBuntu: assuming it has the drivers/support built on for my Broadcomm CrystalHD card (hence the name CrystalBuntu)?
- saw a post about a new CyrstalBuntu coming with PVR support - not sure I understand what version of XBMC that is - not Eden correct?
- anything else that would help me understand this process...(yeah, I know, vague question).Big Grin

Thanks for any and all assistance and tips.

Hi puulima -

In reading this I am not sure that I ever saw a post where you said whether or not you installed a Crystal HD card? The only way that Crystalbuntu is going to really achieve all its glory is with that card installed. I have a few tutorials up at Quixventure.com that cover all of this if you want more background info:

http://quixventure.com/crystalbuntu-how-to/

Maybe not specifically noted - but implied. My understanding is that the Crystal HD card "enable" option only shows up if the hardware is detected - that option does show up and was enabled. Same as when I was running the ATV on the hacked ATV OS. Once I installed the card and downloaded/installed the drivers - that option showed up and HD video performance improved dramatically.

But it's far worse NOW running Crystal Buntu - than it was on the plain old ATV pre-Crystal HD card. That alone makes no sense. Never had CPU utilization at 100% or choppy playback of all video before.
Hmmm... I'd start over again... Make a new USB thumb-drive and just totally start over. Do you install Crystalbuntu to the HD or run off of the USB drive? Shouldn't make a difference, but I'd say go with the USB boot option and see what happens.

Also - The new Crystalbuntu is the PVR version, so perhaps you should use these commands to downgrade to regular Eden (I did this yesterday...)

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=8
Yeah, I think I'll pickup a new (larger) USB drive and try it all over...can't hurt.

I'm actually hoping to use the PVR features - one of the pluses in this version - just have to find time to read up on how to set that all up. I have an HDHomeRun tuner on my home network and it works great with XBMC going to "simple" route - but I'm using WMC on the main Living Room PC to record/pause live TV etc - and would prefer to do it all in XBMC if possible.

Don't think the PVR aspects would cause issues - or would they? Others are running it succesfully...hard to believe the hardware or flash drive could be an issue. I recall not being able to create the inital USB flash drive when I hacked XBMC into the ATV OS - but that was an overall failure up front - the USB drive just wouldn't work when creating - this CrystalBuntu bootable drive was a cinch to create. If it doesn't perform better this time - I'll try downgrading also.

Yes, running it off the USB drive to test. Can't afford to have the ATV out of service...I'd have a a lot of unhappy people here.

Thanks.
PVR on an ATV ?? is this by using a USB TV tuner ?
if so which ones work on crystalbuntu ? (specifically, is there one that works with a satellite TV box ?)
It's the version of XBMC that gets you PVR - not the hardware. I haven't implemented it yet - but you have to have a TV Tuner somewhere on your home network - "serving" up the TV streams (backend) and the appropriate add-on(s) installed in XBMC to pull it in (frontend). I have an HDHomeRun for my tuner - serves up TV to any PC on the home network- works with XBMC (and yes on my ATV) right out of the box - very simple to setup live TV on XBMC (just live streaming - not the PVR functionality that is). Very cool gadget.

You'll have to do some reading...I'm in the early stages myself.
Ahh ok, sounds cool - not quite what I'd want to do here myself as it wouldnt really suit my setup. But nonetheless worth bearing in mind for possible future setups.

I replaced my LCD TV in the rec room with a 1080p projector - so needed a way to have Live TV via the PJ. The HDHomeRun works like a charm - was up & running in minutes and after editing the .strm files (eliminated one tuner) - we can change channels pretty quickly. Only issue is - the TV works great on the old "hacked" ATV OS setup - but fails miserably with the CrystalBuntu USB boot...hence why I started this thread.

Upstairs I'm still using WMC as my PVR with the HDHomeRun - have it setup so you can go directly to it from a Menu Item in XBMC and when you quit WMC - you're back where you left XBMC. All very wife & kid/remote friendly.

I'm on the waiitng list for a Raspberry Pi also - it sounds quite promising and perhaps could replace my old ATV.
(2012-04-03, 20:01)puulima Wrote: I created the USB Patchstick and tested it out this am. Posted something on the STMLabs forum a bit earlier. CPU is running at 100% pretty much all the time - can't play back anything 1080p, 720p coughs and stutters from time to time, menus lag and movies take quite a while to start. None of these issues when running on the ATV OS. The CrystalHD option is enabled in the Video settings but sure seems like the CPU is doing all the heavy lifting. How do I determine if the CrystalHD card is working? I'm going to reboot - not sure what that does since I'm running off the USB drive (for now).

Very hesitant to do the full install as I can't afford to have the ATV out of service...

Here's the XBMC.log file (after a second boot - and in two pieces)
Part 1: XBMC.log part 1
Part 2: XBMC.log part 2

let me know what else to post...

Thanks for any assistance.

Try modifying your advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file so that it says this instead:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
  <gui>    
    <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>

The nofliptimeout part should specifically help with the CPU issue.
I'm accessing the ATV via WinSCP copied the advancedsettings.xml over to my local PC, added the nofliptimeout - but I'm getting an access denied error message when I try to copy it back? Actually, looked at the properties and only the "owner" has W access...same for all files it looks like. I know I used to be able to access/edit files on my ATV via WinSCP - so how do I gain Write access to make this change?
IIRC, you need to type

./configure

When you first SSH in. Then enable the Root account.

Then SSH in using user:root password:atv

That should give you access.
No need to enable root. That's what sudo is for. Instead of trying to copy advancedsettings.xml back to a write protected folder, copy via SCP to /home/atv then SSH in and move it.
Code:
sudo cp /root/.xbmc/usersettings/advancedsettings.xml /root/.xbmc/usersettings/advancedsettings.xml.bak
sudo mv /home/atv/advancedsettings.xml /root/.xbmc/usersettings/

Alternatively, not the way I'd recommend, you can give users write access to the /root/.xbmc folder:
Code:
sudo chmod 777 -R /root/.xbmc
(2012-04-19, 16:06)pumkinut Wrote: No need to enable root. That's what sudo is for. Instead of trying to copy advancedsettings.xml back to a write protected folder, copy via SCP to /home/atv then SSH in and move it.
Code:
sudo cp /root/.xbmc/usersettings/advancedsettings.xml /root/.xbmc/usersettings/advancedsettings.xml.bak
sudo mv /home/atv/advancedsettings.xml /root/.xbmc/usersettings/

Alternatively, not the way I'd recommend, you can give users write access to the /root/.xbmc folder:
Code:
sudo chmod 777 -R /root/.xbmc

Thanks - I ended up granting the write access as I kept getting an error trying to copy the xml to a backup file. I did change the folder in the above example to userdata Wink But still an error. I've copied a test video to the userdata folder also (big buck bunny) so will try that out. Can't imagine that playing files over the network would be an issue - since it isn't on the "norm" ATV setup - but at least this will eliminate that variable and give me a solid 1080p source to test.

Looks like the command to set the permissions back is:
Code:
sudo chmod 755 -R /root/.xbmc
...is that correct?[/code]
(2012-04-19, 07:40)Ned Scott Wrote: IIRC, you need to type

./configure

When you first SSH in. Then enable the Root account.

Then SSH in using user:root password:atv

That should give you access.

Thanks for the reply Ned, saw it after I saw the subsequent reply...
Not sure what the command to change back should be, I don't have access to my XBMC box over the internet, but 755 sounds right. Yeah, sorry about the mixup, should be userdata, not usersettings. I'm going off of memory. Usually when I print out full paths, I have an XBMC box handy that I can SSH into to verify things.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some pointers on CrystalBuntu on ATV10