Need some pointers on CrystalBuntu on ATV1
(2012-05-03, 03:30)pumkinut Wrote: XBMC addons would be stored in, assuming Crystalbuntu, /root/.xbmc/addons

If memory serves me well there is no such folder for me. But as soon as i can ssh back into it i will check. Lost SSH ability when trying to enable wifi card, trying to figure out how to get back SSH.
(2012-05-03, 02:08)monrealli Wrote: Thx Ned, for flash contents do you have any suggestions? Usually, like i stumbled upon with wifi, guides are for different versions of linux nothing specific to apple tv. Any luck with rowmote and remote hd ?

Btw in /usr/local/share/xbmc, addon folder i don't see the addons i installed from zipfile, are they installed in another directory?

I'm not sure if Sam (the guy who makes Crystalbuntu) has put up the archive from the old Crystalbuntu forums yet, but there were a bunch of guides for various things in there.

Crystalbuntu uses a pretty old version of Ubuntu, which limits us to older browsers (unless you want to compile them yourselves) and other various limits. However, the latest chatter is that Sam is working hard on Crystalbuntu 2, which is built on a much newer version of Ubuntu, which will make things a lot easier to set up. IIRC, this includes wifi, browsers, emulators, and more. I think because of Crystalbuntu 2 will be out sometime soon (not sure when) that a lot of people aren't bothering making any new guides, since things will be easier (and a little different).

Rowmote and Remote HD appear to only have helper apps for Mac OS X (which includes the original ATV OS), but other XBMC-specific remotes work, and you can even use VNC for over-all system control.
Crystalbuntu2 would be great then, coz i'm starting to lose it. When trying to fix one thing, i mess another. How do i get ssh capability back? Stmlabs is a mess, you are right i think people are just expectig buntu2 info is scattered all over. Btw is xbmcbuntu is good? Coz it's pretty new compared to crystalbuntu

For getting back ssh, iound this, but what then, after doing that how do i revert things back to get ssh back?

Be careful when editing configuration files in the /etc directory. If you do not know what you are doing, you may cause your machine's network interfaces to stay down after a reboot. In that case, you will need to physically log into one of the machine's ttys using a keyboard, and revert your changes because you have no network access.
Ctrl+Alt+F<1-6>
XBMCbuntu won't run out-of-the-box on an ATV1 due to various driver tweaks needed (IIRC). I believe that was the reason Crystalbuntu used an older Ubuntu for so long, because newer versions didn't play nicely with the ATV1 hardware. Crystalbuntu is tailored to run specifically on an ATV1, so the various hardware components (GPU, etc) and drivers for them will always be the focus for it.

Not sure why SSH would stop working or not. Best bet would be to ask on the Crystalbuntu forums.
(2012-05-03, 04:59)Ned Scott Wrote: Not sure why SSH would stop working or not. Best bet would be to ask on the Crystalbuntu forums.

Ned i think i found why it stopped, after a fresh install i had the same issue after tried to change folder permission for etc.

I wanted to move wpa_supplicant.conf file to /etc, it denied me access so i tried to set permission like i did for xbmc. See below. Now i can't login with cyberduck.

lbuntu:~$ sudo chmod 755 -R /etc
sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0755, should be 0440
atv@Crystalbuntu:~$ atv@Crystalbuntu:~$ sudo chmod 755 -R /etc/sudoers

What a painful linux experiment, all i wanted to do is enable my internal wifi card.

so..I want to install Crytalubuntu on my ATV1 - I have the latest broadcom in my ATV1...thing is all the thumb drives seem to be for PC and not a Macbook, which is what I have...any clues as to how I get this on my ATV1 please...many thanks. M
(2012-05-03, 22:59)mikseymono Wrote: so..I want to install Crytalubuntu on my ATV1 - I have the latest broadcom in my ATV1...thing is all the thumb drives seem to be for PC and not a Macbook, which is what I have...any clues as to how I get this on my ATV1 please...many thanks. M

Just follow the same instructions on the wiki ( HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_Apple_TV_1_(Linux)#Installing_from_Mac_OS_X (wiki) )

When you insert the drive and Mac OS X pops up with a window that says it can't recognize the drive, just press ignore. The instructions above will end up reformatting the drive anyways, so it doesn't matter what the drive was formatted for.
(2012-05-03, 21:49)monrealli Wrote: Ned i think i found why it stopped, after a fresh install i had the same issue after tried to change folder permission for etc.

I wanted to move wpa_supplicant.conf file to /etc, it denied me access so i tried to set permission like i did for xbmc. See below. Now i can't login with cyberduck.

lbuntu:~$ sudo chmod 755 -R /etc
sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0755, should be 0440
atv@Crystalbuntu:~$ atv@Crystalbuntu:~$ sudo chmod 755 -R /etc/sudoers

What a painful linux experiment, all i wanted to do is enable my internal wifi card.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a linux noob myself, and have never gotten wifi to work under Crystalbuntu (or at least, I've always gotten too frustrated and would give up and run ethernet instead).

I checked to see what permissions the contents of /etc/ should be so you could change it back to normal, but it seems the various files in there have several different permissions. It might be easiest to just reinstall.

Once back up, you should be able to move the file using "sudo" in front of the move command, but I suspect you've already tried that and it didn't work for some reason.
(2012-05-03, 23:10)Ned Scott Wrote: seems the various files in there have several different permissions. It might be easiest to just reinstall.

Once back up, you should be able to move the file using "sudo" in front of the move command, but I suspect you've already tried that and it didn't work for some reason.

3rd fresh install in the process as i write, i feel you about the wifi. What a pain. I tried sudo command to move it
but maybe i had the command line wrong. If the file is in desktop what shoudl be the string to move it?

If i can't move this file i can't make wifi work. Then ff that method work ill share it here so another noob like me wont lose 3 days on it.

edit: sudo cp wpa_supplicant.conf /etc should be something like this?
sudo mv wpa_supplicant.conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Copying should work just fine. What I'd suggest is editing the file and not moving it or copying it. That way you really shouldn't have to deal with permissions, especially if you're new to Linux.

While you have an SSH session going from another machine, with a copy of wpa_supplicant.conf open on the machine your SSH'ing from, do the following:
Code:
sudo touch /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
sudo vi /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Copy the text from the wpa_supplicant.conf file you have open on your host machine. Then on the ATV perform the following while vi is open.
1) Type in "i" for insert in the vi session
2) Paste in your text, the right mouse button should work for that
3) Make sure all of the text is correct
4) Hit the escape (esc) key
5) Type a colon (:)
6) Type wq (write then quit) then enter to save the file.
7) Check your file with "cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
(2012-05-04, 01:02)pumkinut Wrote: Copying should work just fine. What I'd suggest is editing the file and not moving it or copying it. That way you really shouldn't have to deal with permissions, especially if you're new to Linux.

While you have an SSH session going from another machine, with a copy of wpa_supplicant.conf open on the machine your SSH'ing from, do the following:
Code:
sudo vi /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Copy the text from the wpa_supplicant.conf file you have open on your host machine. Then on the ATV perform the following while vi is open.
1) Type in "i" for insert in the vi session
2) Paste in your text, the right mouse button should work for that
3) Make sure all of the text is correct
4) Hit the escape (esc) key
5) Type a colon (Smile
6) Type wq (write then quit) then enter to save the file.
7) Check your file with "cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

My apple tv 1 doesn't have that file i have to create it then move it under /etc. The file is on my desktop hos do i copy or move it from my deskto to /etc in my atv1? I'm using windows.

I have a folder named wpa_supplicant under /etc but the guide sez to put in /etc directly.

EDIT: Wifi works now, special thanx to Ned and pumkinut.
If you didn't have the file initially, the first command pumpkinut gave you should have created it:

Code:

Using touch creates a file if it doesn't already exist. Then the second command he gave is for vi, which is a text editor that should be able to edit the file you just created with touch. You could also try nano in place of vi. In my opinion it's a little more user-friendly since it has onscreen prompts, but his instruction there should have worked too.

I haven't played with Crystalbuntu yet (just got a used ATV1 and CrystalHD card and will try it all out this week), but unless there's a specific reason to do it another way, I second pumpkinut's suggestion to edit files directly and not to mess with editing the files on other systems and transfer them back-and-forth, etc. If you edit them in place you can usually bypass the need for chmod and you can leave the permissions set the way they're supposed to be. Any time you get a permissions error with one of the commands, you can generally get around it by placing a 'sudo' in front of the command you're trying to run. It's much easier for Linux people to help you if you just need help with a command here and there, rather than guessing how to fix it if permissions are changed to something that the system doesn't expect.

Just my 2 cents, coming purely from someone who's sympathetic to the woes that can be associated with Unix permissions. That stuff is complicated even for Linux gurus (which I'm not). Best of luck to you!

XBMCbuntu 11.0
Zotac ZBOX Blu-ray HD-ID34
URC RF-20 (configured with Flirc)
(2012-04-02, 18:23)puulima Wrote: Wow, this sounds great. I didn't realize that 1080p could be achieved if I ditch the AppleOS. Seems ot be a no brainer. I've got an HDHomeRun Prime here also - so the PVR aspect is intriguing. Have not had any time to "play" with my setup so haven't tried out a PVR branch of XBMC - was looking forward to when it is part of the standard release. But if Sam has a version I can use - awesome. I'm assuming one of the prior PVR releases is still kicking about and can be installed? I'm not sure where to look/how to find the release(s).

Also watching the Raspberry Pi progress also...

Thanks for the feedback...need to fnd some time to "play" now :-)

Ever get HDHR + PVR setup working for you? I ran out of patience with MythTV as a backend. using myth: protocol, it never seemed to take advantage of the broadcom card (15), and even in the latest Crystalbuntu, any attempts at configure the 'pvr' portion of XBMC failed.

Openelec with the nouveau drivers had stuttering / choppiness issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some pointers on CrystalBuntu on ATV10