Linux [Solved] XBMC restarts when playing any movie.
Clean install of XBMCbuntu (11.0 Eden) on a ZBOX ND-HD22.

Everything was working great until one evening no movies would play - XBMC would just quit and restart. The crashlog (with debugging enabled) gave no hint as to why.

By fluke I discovered the problem - the "XBMC Audio Mixer" plugin (version 2.0.0), which is installed under Programs is corrupting my ~/.asoundrc file whenever I open up the mixer.

To diagnose and fix the problem do the following:
- Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to a console session
- login using the username/password you specified on installation
- run the command "aplay -L"
- if the above command generates a series of errors (starting with "ALSA lib conf.c:1219(parse_def) default is not a compound") edit your .asound.rc file (I use "nano .asoundrc")
- change the first line from "pcm.default {" to "pcm.!default {" (only change is adding the ! exclamatin mark)
- save and exit, and test "aplay -L" - this time it should work

Go back to XBMC (Ctrl-Alt-F7), and disable the "XBMC Audio Mixer" plugin.

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers,
Dave.
This worked great for me - that would have taken an age to find.

(though my solution was to simply remove .asoundrc and it was recreated)

Thanks Dave!
It worked... This is simply awesome.. i was thinking of reinstalling XBMCbuntu again....somebody make this a sticky
Glad to be of assistance! FYI, I did reinstall a couple of times myself before finally finding the solution. :-)
I just have to say, thank you VERY much for this. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my XBMCbuntu install randomly started restarting when playing video. You're a lifesaver and I just wanted you to know!
same file was the problem for me...asound.rc . Simply deleting the file and rebooting worked for me.
Just wanted to say thank you for posting this info. Been having the same problem with a fresh install of XBMCbuntu. Everything worked great UNTIL I adjusted the master volume in the ALSA plugin. Deleting the .asoundrc file and restarting worked.
(2012-05-16, 13:52)Amra Wrote: Just wanted to say thank you for posting this info. Been having the same problem with a fresh install of XBMCbuntu. Everything worked great UNTIL I adjusted the master volume in the ALSA plugin. Deleting the .asoundrc file and restarting worked.

Same happened to me, i resolved by deleting the .asoundrc and just thought I had done something wrong. Thanks for that daven_xbmc +1
It worked! Only problem was to remember the login info.. If someone dont remember their login.. Try with "xbmc" as user and your typical passwords.. I think "xbmc" is a default username or something.. Thank you darven_xbmc!
Damn, thank you!!! I thought it couldnt be: "Another not working XBMC-Version". I came back to Eden from Frodo RC2. I just want to give up. But you saved my day. Thank you! I use Eden 11.10 on a ASRock 3D. Same problem. Whats up with the Developer of "XBMC Audio Mixer Plugin"? This plugin should be marked as "broken" and not preinstalled. Isn't be possible to fix this stupid bug after 8 month?

Thank you for sharing us your solution!
Worked for me as well. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] XBMC restarts when playing any movie.2