Question for people who have also used MQ3
I have used mq2 for the last year on a live installation
i upgraded to eden and mq3...seems there is a bug where if you have dirty regions turned on you experience a lot of lockups which i have
because it is running on an old acer revo 1600 using a heavy skin is hard enough on the thing and without dirty regions on the the cpu is pegging away ....just more stress than i want to put on the box

aeon nox looks like a beautiful skin but for you users that have used mq3 is there anything i wont be able to do in nox
im guessing its a bid no but checking just in case lol

Thanks!
WE ALL WE GOT
I was just about to post almost the same thing. I'm new to the Aeon skins altogether, but I've found that both Nox and MQ3 have views that I like equally. So I'm trying to figure out which skin to use. Whichever one is faster will most likely be the deciding factor, unless there's some limitation on home screen customization in one that prevents me from making the few additions that I want to make.

Basically, what are the main differences/pros and cons between Aeon regular, Aeon Nox, and Aeon MQ3?
So many topics on that...
First, there's no Aeon regular anymore.
Second, the biggest difference IMO is the development. Aeon MQ gets stable updates sometimes, Aeon Nox gets updated everyday (and a stable version doesn't come often). That have pros and cons : Aeon Nox is more likely to have bugs (even if I don't recall seeing any), but Aeon MQ is not always up-to-date (especially with the new scripts released).
Aeon Nox used to be less userfriendly, but Big_Noid did a great work on that, and I have to say I think it's much more usable and easy to configure than Aeon MQ know.
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)
There is no discernible difference, functionality wise, as both perform similar functions. Visually they are both clean looking skins and as to which is more visually appealing is up to the individual. I've just moved to Aeon Nox as I run a low spec 1.6GHZ dual core with 1GB ram and after the recent MQ3 update it runs like a dog. So it seems that Aeon Nox is less resource hungry. How much so I'm not sure but noticeable on my machine.
Just my opinion: Aeon Nox, especially the upcoming 3.0 version, is significally faster than MQ3, there is no doubt about that. Nox lacks some of MQ3's viewtypes, a few of the options each of them contains, and is not that customizable when it comes to menus (visually I mean, fonts, styles, etc.). But personally I wouldn't change Nox for anything, simply because it is remarkably fast for a skin of its type (fanart-oriented), and very much efficient for the purpose skins should have, presenting your media in a swift and aesthetically pleasant way.
(2012-04-04, 00:32)CutSickAss Wrote: Just my opinion: Aeon Nox, especially the upcoming 3.0 version, is significally faster than MQ3, there is no doubt about that. Nox lacks some of MQ3's viewtypes, a few of the options each of them contains, and is not that customizable when it comes to menus (visually I mean, fonts, styles, etc.). But personally I wouldn't change Nox for anything, simply because it is remarkably fast for a skin of its type (fanart-oriented), and very much efficient for the purpose skins should have, presenting your media in a swift and aesthetically pleasant way.

Well said!
(2012-04-04, 03:57)farr3ll Wrote:
(2012-04-04, 00:32)CutSickAss Wrote: Just my opinion: Aeon Nox, especially the upcoming 3.0 version, is significally faster than MQ3, there is no doubt about that. Nox lacks some of MQ3's viewtypes, a few of the options each of them contains, and is not that customizable when it comes to menus (visually I mean, fonts, styles, etc.). But personally I wouldn't change Nox for anything, simply because it is remarkably fast for a skin of its type (fanart-oriented), and very much efficient for the purpose skins should have, presenting your media in a swift and aesthetically pleasant way.

Well said!

I second that Smile
Hey guys,

I started XBMC with NOX, loved it, and remember it was indeed fast and good looking. However, I switched to MQ3 (which I still have today) because of its support for RCB (Rom Collection Browser). However, like posted above, the new version of MQ3 doesn't run as smooth anymore and now I'm back here :-)
But I was wondering, does NOX support RCB these days? Are there any good views for RCB in NOX 3.0?

Thanks,
Grave
(2012-04-04, 14:09)st graveyard Wrote: Hey guys,

But I was wondering, does NOX support RCB these days? Are there any good views for RCB in NOX 3.0?

Thanks,
Grave

Anyone?
(2012-04-05, 09:35)st graveyard Wrote:
(2012-04-04, 14:09)st graveyard Wrote: Hey guys,

Thanks,
Grave

Anyone?
I haven't seen any documentation of it or anyone using it with NOX. One of the reasons why Aeon MQ3 is so popular is because of RCB. Too bad the latest update made it extremely sluggish
Strange that you experience sluggish performance after the latest update. I only notice speed increase but that is caused by the gui animations that are now written for eden. Only thing I noticed with the latest update is that it was rushed out as it brought a lot of bugs for several things, which used to run fine.
if RCB isn't supported now then i hope it would be added....i don't have a need for it now on my old revo 1600 but for my next xbmc box it was in the plans....

i can't say that i have used it extensively because i have only loaded it on friends machine which is another revo 1600....he is older so i try and keep it simple but i have been able to do everything so far that i had setup with mq2

it also seems to be stable which is the biggest worry being a machine i will have to support remotely....which is really what got me to try out nox because of the bug in mq3 when having dirty regions setup

so all in all....so far so good
also it runs pretty smooth even on a low powered box...then again mq3 has been running fine on my box so far also but i will be switching that one to nox prob this weekend
WE ALL WE GOT
MQ3 offers 40 custom menu items and Nox only has like less than 5. I have a bunch and I switched to MQ3.

And yes the new MQ3 is more sluggish. It takes longer for cover art to load when flipping fast... I want an option to switch back but have the new functions.
3.0 will offer at least 9 custom home entrys which can be anything and with any widget you want. so perhaps that suits your taste.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Who wants 40 custom items in a menu like that with Aeon? Is there any convenience at all in scrolling till your 20th item? It's just plain silly imo and not useful at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question for people who have also used MQ30