Preferred Audio Language
I would love to see a preference in System > Audio to define the preferred audio language when more than one is available in a file. The setting would ideally default to your system language.

Hopefully someone can take up the cause!

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] Rightly removed the notion that this is "easy" -- if it was, I or anyone else could do it. My apologies.
Well I actually started to work on this a while ago but haven't finished it yet because it's not that easy to add as you suggested. The problem is not writing the code that selects the audio stream based on the language. The problem is about defining the language and whether the language preference should overrule audio streams marked as default audio streams in the video container.

I had to temporarily stop working on this because there was more important/urgent work to be done but I plan to finish that work ASAP (but I'll be on holiday for a week tomorrow).

PS: Comments like "easy enough add" usually have the effect on me that I simply ignore the request just because of such a comment. For people who don't code most of the things seem easy enough to add. You are lucky I already started working on this. Next time just forget about such a comment or you won't be so lucky.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-04-03, 07:46)Montellese Wrote: Well I actually started to work on this a while ago but haven't finished it yet because it's not that easy to add as you suggested. The problem is not writing the code that selects the audio stream based on the language. The problem is about defining the language and whether the language preference should overrule audio streams marked as default audio streams in the video container.

I had to temporarily stop working on this because there was more important/urgent work to be done but I plan to finish that work ASAP (but I'll be on holiday for a week tomorrow).

PS: Comments like "easy enough add" usually have the effect on me that I simply ignore the request just because of such a comment. For people who don't code most of the things seem easy enough to add. You are lucky I already started working on this. Next time just forget about such a comment or you won't be so lucky.

Usually when I read "easy to do," "easy to add," and "simple to do", I tell them if its so easy/simple then where is their patch or coding.
Didn't know if this should go here or in a new thread?

Wanted to add to the request for audio language selection. The ability to select the audio language for a video individually, not globally. I have some video files that the first language is German or Japanese with English as a second language or fourth language. If I use the global selection, it of course changes the audio output of all the videos. The current global language selection is OK for videos watched one time but for movies we watch many times, children's animation, etc, it is not so convenient. This would also allow the selection of a native language and subtitles for certain movies, say, Run Lola Run with Germain language and English subtitles, if that is the viewer's preference.
Uhm when you play any video in xbmc you can already manually change the audio stream and therefore also the language. Furthermore xbmc remembers the audio stream selection of already watched videos so if you watch the same video again it will automatically switch to the stream and subtitle used last time.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Sure? I have a tv series where the first stream is russian and the second one is english... I watched that show several times now and I always have to switch to english because he plays the russian language.
What do you store to identify the stream that was used? because both streams are called "Stereo" and the properties are the same. Perhaps xbmc should also store the stream number?!?
Did you watch the same episode several times or different episodes of the same show? The former should work as I described, the latter won't because this only works on file level and not on show/season level.
I watched the same episodes several times...

Just checked it and it works now... So I guess I lost the information when I dropped the db and rescannt everything. Is it possible to also export the used language and subtitle stream when exporting to xml files?
Not that I know of so that's probably the cause.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Preferred Audio Language0