Linux Uninstall/reinstall ATI drivers
Hi,

I have installed the xbmcbuntu 11.0 version and I want to use it also for live tv. I followed this guide to install the pvr but after a reboot it hangs at the xbmc logo.

I think there is something wrong with the ATI driver so I want to uninstall and reinstall it, but unfortunately I am not a linux guru. Could anyone help me with the commands I have to use to be able to do this?

I have a AMD A4-3400 Boxed on a Asus F1A75-M mainbord.
remove:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
sudo reboot

after that follow the guide to install again
Thank you for the quick reply. I've managed to copy/paste the command syntax Smile, but after running the guide again I cannot issue the "aticonfig" command anymore. Sorry I am a linux noob, but learning.

Since the system hangs at the xbmc logo, it doesn't log anymore. The last log I see it when it booted till the default skin.
did you install the driver again?(step 2 from the howto) before that aticonfig won't be available(as its part of the driver package)
Yep, I downloaded the driver again and issued the command to build and install the package, but the command "aticonfig" is gone.

Here is the log of the installation:

hmm strange.

can you post the output of following commands:
Code:
dpkg -l | grep fglrx

which amdconfig
which aticonfig

actually aticonfig is only a symlink to amdconfig in newer drivers, but it should exist anyways.

btw, you could also just use synaptic or jockey to install the ubuntu package of the ATI driver.
Hi,

here you are:

Code:
marigo@XBMC:~$ dpkg -l | grep fglrx
ii  fglrx   2:8.920-0ubuntu1  Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerators
ii  fglrx-amdcccle   2:8.920-0ubuntu1  Catalyst Control Center for the AMD graphics accelerators
marigo@XBMC:~$

I haven't figured out how to get (remotely) to the graphic shell. At the moment I can ssh to it.
I am a beginner....
you missed:

which amdconfig
which aticonfig

while you are at it:

ls -l /usr/bin/amd*
When I run it from the CLI, nothing happens:

Code:
marigo@XBMC:~$ which amdconfig
marigo@XBMC:~$ which aticonfig
marigo@XBMC:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/amd
ls: cannot access /usr/bin/amd: No such file or directory
marigo@XBMC:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/amd*
ls: cannot access /usr/bin/amd*: No such file or directory
marigo@XBMC:~$

sorry...

Maybe a fresh install is better.
strange indeed. uninstall it again, reboot, and then:
Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates
Ok, did that. The graphical startup interface (the xbmc logo) is gone now.
I think the system has gone mad. It complains that is cannot load the LIRC kernel modules. I must verify this in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
I've done nothing with this file. It's getting realy strange...

Thanks for your time. I think I will start from scratch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Uninstall/reinstall ATI drivers0