Revo 3700 XBMCUbuntu No HDMI Sound
Hello Everyone

I recently took the decision to switch from OpenElec to XBMCBuntu 11 and everything went well except for one thing, no sound.

I am trying to output sound via HDMI to my TV in 2.0 mode

I was expecting this as I had to do a bit of fiddling with OpenElec where I set the output and passthrough to Custom and then "plughw:1,7" which resolved my issue.

If I use the setting in XBMCBuntu then it fails to initialise audio, so I tried plughw:1,3 after running "aplay -l" and although this resolve the previous error I still get no sound.

I have run an sudo apt-get update and the upgrade and still this is not resolved.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
David
What do you have for your ~/.asoundrc?
XBMCbuntu {Frodo} - Ubuntu 12.04 (Main):
Intel Q6600 [2.4GHz Quad Core], 4GB DDR3, nVidia GT-210, Antec Fusion Case (iMon LCD), PS3 BD Remote

XBMC Live {Frodo} - Ubuntu 10.04 (Bedroom): Intel Atom D510 [1.66GHz Dual Core], ION Graphics, 2GB DDR2, PS3 BD Remote
Was aware of such a file but I have not modified it from the standard supplied.

Should I be amending this file?
I wish I could remember what I did, but there are 2 things you could try...

#1:
edit the ~/.asoundrc file and add the following:
Code:
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm "hw:X,Y"    *Where X is your card # and Y is your device # from aplay -l*
    rate 48000
  }
}

#2:
If that doesn't work, delete everything from the ~/.asoundrc file and edit your /etc/asound.conf file, adding the following:
Code:
pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card NVidia      *or you could try using the Card # from aplay -l instead of NVidia*
  device <device # from aplay -l>
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card NVidia      *or you could try using the Card # from aplay -l instead of NVidia*
  device <device # from aplay -l>
}

And then just use the plughw:X,Y in XBMC as your audio out... I think you may also need a reboot before it will work, but can't recall exactly if it was required or not ... Can't hurt I suppose. If neither of these work, let me know, I have a bunch of other things written down that I had to try if these didn't work, but I'm pretty sure I didn't need to do anything more than either of these to get it working.
Intel Q6600 [2.4GHz Quad Core], 4GB DDR3, nVidia GT-210, Antec Fusion Case (iMon LCD), PS3 BD Remote

XBMC Live {Frodo} - Ubuntu 10.04 (Bedroom): Intel Atom D510 [1.66GHz Dual Core], ION Graphics, 2GB DDR2, PS3 BD Remote
I am really struggling here, the file path is unclear to where these files should sit

Below is my aplay -l

Any help is appreciated Smile

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
david@htpc:~$

The plughw:1,3 should be correct, so I'd skip the asoundrc step and try to see what isn't giving you sound. Have you tried both audio and video files? Does it seem specific to files of a certain format? Lastly, did you reboot after changing your audio settings?
There is no sound for any file type unfortunately

I make sure I reboot after every change I make just to make sure
Want to try posting up your /home/<username>/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log file and perhaps the cause of the problem will be found in there? Do you get a failed to initialize audio device error or anything when you try to play media, or just works like it should, just without audio?

The ~/ path just refers to your /home/<username>/ path, if you drop to a terminal, it's the path you should start in after logging in.

Hi

Here is my log and I can see errors but unsure what to do about them

XBMC Log

Any idea's?
David,

Check out my other thread, maybe it can shed some light?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127428
Have you run sudo alsamixer and checked that the channel is not muted by default?

Martin
Hey Guys.
This is how it worked for me to have sound:
For having sound at all I just used the following settings that should work for everyone I guess:
Custom settings for audio output and paththrough with this entry: plug:both
After installation of the XBMC Audiomixer plugin there was no more sound.
By default it muted the sound. So I changed that in the settings of the plugin.

I use a zotac ZBox ID34BD
Hope this helps Cheers!
Hey!
I found a solution. Seems like the crashing got something to do with the asound system and mixed up settings. Here is what I did:
1. A fresh install (might be another solution but nothing worked for me)
2. Deinstalled the xbmc audiomixer (Settings-->Addons-->Programaddons)
3. Exit XBMC and launch into xbmcbuntu (when going back to xbmc you need to log-off and log into xbmc again)
4. Open a terminal and type in: aplay -l (lowercase L)

You should get an output something like this:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0, ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

In this string of info you care about the information in quotes:
card "1": NVidia [HDA NVidia], device "3": HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

This is what we are going to use when we manually map the information inside XBMC.

Depending on what device you will use to playback sound there might be different combinations. So remember the card number and the device number you want to use.
For more info see post 4 in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127428

5. log-off xbmcbuntu and go back to xbmc.

6. Go to Settings -> System -> Audio Output

Audio output = choose yourself
Speaker Configuration = choose yourself
Boost Level on Downmix = yes
AC3 Capable = choose yourself
DTS Capable = choose yourself

Since we found out the information earlier on aplay -l and found the card and the device you can now do this:
Audio Ouput Device = Custom
custom audio device = PLUGHW:X,Y (Where X is the card and Y is the device)
Passthrough output device = custom
Custom passthrough device = PLUGHW:X,Y (Where X is the card and Y is the device)

Restart XBMC
Now everyhing shoud be working!
Are you saying it should then look like this in XBMC?

Audio Ouput Device = Custom
custom audio device = PLUGHW:1,3
Passthrough output device = custom
Custom passthrough device = PLUGHW:1,3
Hi All,

I've spent ages trying to get this working and finally I've managed to nail it so I thought I'd come back on here and write a post to share it out.
Myself and two other guys had gotten 3700's and recently we tried to install XBMCBuntu on all three with the same problems, no HDMI sound output.

After lots of reading on threads all over the place including this one. We tried alot of solutions over two weeks and finally found one that works, we then tried it on all three and it worked every time, first time.

Step 1
Remove any of the files you created while trying to get it working including your ~/.asoundrc file.

Step 2
As a root user create this file (You can become root user by typing "su - root"
/etc/asound.conf

And put the following two lines in it,
pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm.iec958 hdmi:NVidia

That's all that should be in the file.

Step 3
Still as root user type "alsamixer" and make sure your sound outputs are not muted (Showing MM = muted)
If one is muted, pressing 'm' on your keyboard will unmute.

Now press F6 and select your NVidia card.
Do the same again make sure it's not muted.

Note: For me on all three devices S/PDIF was muted in the intel card and the Nvidia card screens.

Step 4:
Reboot your revo.

Step 5
Go to your audio settings in Settings > System > Audio Output
And set these as the settings:
Note: On some devices 'default' can show as some alternative such as 'defaults' or 'defaults (ALSA)' this is fine.

Finally when watching a movie select the bottom right sound icon and make sure it has the same audio settings for output.

That's it. Worked everytime for me I'd like to know if others found it worked for them too.

P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo 3700 XBMCUbuntu No HDMI Sound0