Group 7 First HTPC Build
Hi there everyone,

I'm new to the forums, however I think I will be round for a while.

So I've treated myself to a new 3d tv and really want to take advantage of it along with my highspeed fibre optic broadband. So I've pitched myself in the group 7 bracket and have been researching quite a bit for the right products.

My aim is to add a blu-ray drive at a later date, however I require my HTPC to be able to play everything I chuck at, which includes everything 1080p 3D and HD audio but without being noisy and keeping the running costs as low as possible. Subsequently I'm looking at the following parts, however I am struggling on a PSU and cooling and would welcome all the advice I can get.

I have a high capacity 3.5" HDD which I would like to use within my HTPC the rest I need to buy.

Streacom ST-FC5ODB HTPC Fanless Aluminium Case
ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4-M FM2 AMD A85X
AMD A6-5400K Black Edition 3.60GHz
Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5 SATA 6Gb/s
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz (I'm not sure if this is the appriopriate memory but at £29.99 seems like good value)

So all I really need now is the PSU and any cooling, which is where I'm really stuck.

I appreciate and welcome any advice and feedback
(2012-11-21, 23:12)smudgeruk Wrote: So all I really need now is the PSU and any cooling, which is where I'm really stuck.

I appreciate and welcome any advice and feedback
This "picoPSU-120/10A 120W AC-DC" should be great for the 65W APU......you shouldn't have to worry about cooling, because you are buying a passive cooling case....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for coming back so fast.

So the 120w PSU would be ample for two 1x SSD, 1 HDD and a blu-ray drive? Seems so low when comparing to all the desktops that I've used in the past. With the cooling the side of it is it just a case of running the heatsink that comes in the case or added an addional fan as well?

Overall how do you think that set up is for a group 7 HTPC?
Since you want your HTPC to do everything, I'm recommending these "AMD A8-5500 Trinity 3.2GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Quad-Core and picoPSU-150-XT/12.5A 150W AC-DC " instead....I think that it is more appropriate for your expensive case and mobo, and you'll have a powerful HTPC.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
So I've made a few amendments to my list of products (see below), everything has been ordered and due here on the 27th/28th!!

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
Intel Core i3 3225 Ivy Bridge, Dual Core, 3.3GHz
64GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SSD, SATA III
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 PC3-12800 (1600)
Streacom ST-FC5ODB HTPC Fanless Aluminium Case - Black
Streacom Nano 150w HTPC Power Supply/Adapter

The reason for swapping over to intel from the AMD was motherboard compatibility and CPU temps with the case when reading through the forums.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Group 7 First HTPC Build0