Shuttle XS35GS V3 vs XS35GT V2
Hi

I want a silent machine to run xbmc, to play a mix of sd, 720p & some 1080p content in assorted formats, mostly h264, and xvid. This to be connected by hdmi to a 720p tv, with all the files on a NAS connected by Ethernet.

I would prefer to run xbmc under some flavour of Linux, rather than windows. Which of the following is likely to perform better?

Shuttle XS35GT v2

Shuttle XS35GS V3

TIA for your help.
XS35GS V3
XS35GT if you are planning on running linux.
(2012-04-04, 00:38)prae5 Wrote: XS35GT if you are planning on running linux.

Is that because of driver issues? I've searched around a bit, but not found much info on Linux support for the amd graphics in the xs35GS v3. Confusingly the shuttle site states it has 'AMD Radeon HD 7410M', but this review says 'Radeon HD6430M'

http://gadgetholic.net/shuttle-xs35v3-v3...trail.html
In general, nvidia gpu support is significantly better under linux.
Ok, thanks for you replies. It does seem like the ion is a bit longin the tooth though, but I guess if it does the job.. Smile
You may want to read this 18 page thread on jitter with the Shuttle's ION implementation....

http://openelec.tv/forum/131-vdpau-nvidi...d-ionvdpau
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Lol, it seems like a minefield! Confused
As far as I can tell, the XS35GT V3 isn't released yet. At least I can't find it anywhere.
Dabs.com had it in stock around the time I originally started this thread. But they don't seem to list it now.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but better that than make a new one.

Can anyone expand on the issues using AMD Radeon HD graphics on Linux? The Nvidia Ion model of this nettop is discontinued and difficult to find (at least in the UK). If I have the Radeon HD model running XBMCbuntu, will it or won't it be able to play x264 at 1080p with DTS audio?
(2012-04-04, 00:18)Lazyb Wrote: Hi

I want a silent machine to run xbmc, to play a mix of sd, 720p & some 1080p content in assorted formats, mostly h264, and xvid. This to be connected by hdmi to a 720p tv, with all the files on a NAS connected by Ethernet.

I would prefer to run xbmc under some flavour of Linux, rather than windows. Which of the following is likely to perform better?

Shuttle XS35GT v2

Shuttle XS35GS V3

TIA for your help.

I use the XS35GT v2 under windows7. Works great for XBMC Eden. Use 4 gigs, SSD. Totally silent. The XS35GS v3 is newer and has AMD 7xxx graphics which might be a bit better. The GT has well supported drivers.

Philip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS35GS V3 vs XS35GT V20