GSOC 2012- Android remote
Hi,

My name is Reza Shiftehfar and I am a graduate student in Computer Science program at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I've been using XBMC foever but have always had problem with using the existing remote controls for Android devices. I just learned that GSOC 2012 is going on and XBMC is a mentoring organization. I am very interested to solve the problem of XBMC remote for Android devices forever. I was also involved in GSOC 2011 and have found it very helpful in improving my programming skills in addition to helping open source community.

As a graduate student, I am currently working on Cloud Computing and Mobile Devices. More specifically, I am working on new architecture for combining public Cloud with in-house private Clouds. I have also worked on Location Tracking Systems and Visualization projects as my two previous masters thesis. I have strong background in software development, mobile programming, operating system, virtualization and concurrent/parallel programming. I strongly believe that these skills together with my previous involvement in GSOC will help me succeed in GSOC 2012.

As I said, I am specifically interested in working on improving the remote client for tablet/touch devices with Android OS. I am writing to discuss the details and kindly ask for advice on this. Could you please let me know more info. about this project and that at what stage is the current existing codes? Specifically, what tasks are remaining and what are the requirements? Also, could you please let me know how I should start to get involved and contribute?

I am aware of the fact that it is a little bit too late to discuss this but I just learned that Google Summer of Code will continue again this year.
Thanks in advance for your help,

Reza
Your best bet is to go to the googlecode project page and take a nosy around.

I believe it's currently being rewritten to use the JSON-RPC. There's some other comments about the remote idea from another student in the forum you've posted in as well that you might want to checkout.

Other than that, just think about what you feel is missing, how you'd go about implementing it, and what this would mean for XBMC users.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

See also here. I am indeed working on a new version, you can look at the code here. The implementation of XBMC's JSON-RPC API is generated automatically using the introspect function, so that's taken care of. Normally, our new visual artist is working on the new tablet design, so that's probably not an option either. That's when I came up with the streaming proposal. It would involve code on both sides and therefore different technologies, which is always a plus.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GSOC 2012- Android remote0