Best SSD solution for Apple TV 1?
Hello

I'm happy with my Apple TV 1 running OpenELEC on it.

Now I want to buy SSD hard drive to replace original one which is terribly slow . There are two ways to accomplish this:
1) To buy SSD PATA hard drive.
2) To buy SSD SATA hard drive + SATA to PATA Adapter.

I would like to choose 2) because SATA drives are faster and cheaper than PATA ones, but there are 2 problems here:
1) Limited space within the case. Can you suggest any suitable adapter?
2) To choose adapter which works for sure.

If you ever tried to replace you Apple TV's hard drive with SSD one, please share you experience.

Thanks. Smile
You say you would prefer a SATA one because they are faster, but you're going to be connecting it through an adaptor to a PATA interface anyway so you're still going to be limited by the ATV's PATA interface speed.

You're right there isn't much space in the case for both a drive and an apaptor, I would just get a PATA SSD drive, there still widely available and arn't that much more expensive than SATA ones.

OK, but what about this:

- CF Compact flash to 2.5″ IDE 44 pin Adapter SSD + Compact Flash Card

Is it reasonable? It seems attractive solution Smile
No link, so I can't comment on the product you're talking about, but if you're suggesting using a CF card as a hard disk then you need to be very careful which CF card you buy as some arn't bootable. Also a decent sized CF card would be alot more expensive than a SSD.

Still much easier to go with a PATA SSD.
I m new to this and have not opened my apple tv, i see there are 2 types of pata ssd hard drives 1.8 and 2.5 what size is the one in the apple tv
you say you are happy with openelec on atv gen1. I have set up three of these for family and keep one here for testing.

When you start talking about paying extra to make atv1 faster, ask yourself this. At what point do you think the logic board is going to fail, and how much are you willing to sacrafice. When they work they work well. but you can barely even bring up the menu while watching 720p much less 1080p. the buffering time is longer than most solutions now. AND you almost definately have to disable fan art and other goodies to keep it moving smoothly. LOts of SSH , lots of resets.

There are so much better solutions now. The reality is that the way it is restored back to ATV or jailbroken with XBMC as well, crystal HD< you could likely turn 80-100 on ebay. If its just the footprint , I agree its nice and tidy. But you should probably be looking at something much more robust such as the Arctic MC001 barebones for $100 bucks. Look at other threads and see.

Hey I was where you are now, loved openelec for what it is, and its great with ATV, but its about 4 times smoother on a D525 dual core atom / I have a lenovo book pc running that (Q150) and its night and day differnce between apple tv gen 1. I also tried a CF adapter when a PATA atv hard drive went, and they will go...just a matter of time. I too could not get it to boot. You must have a CF card that can support fixed disk mode. Not many do. Old micro drives and a few sandisks.

That my goal next two weeks, Dump ATVs , with crystal HDs, and Boxee Gen 1. Pay for new arctic boxes which are completely fanless. I just dont see SSD making sense for a 5 year old platform. Maybe 6 now.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best SSD solution for Apple TV 1?0