accessing windows files on dual boot system
how would i go about finding the folders and files on the windows partition when in xbmc? i can see them just fine when using the file manager in the desktop environment...

thank you
Make sure that the windows partition is mounted. What filesystem is it ntfs or fat(32)?

To see if it's mounted or not, drop to a terminal (CTRL+F1) and issue the follwing:
Code:
mount
This will show you what's mounted and where the mount point(s) are. If your Windows partition is not mounted, you'll first need to check what partition it is and then mount it.
Code:
sudo fdisk -l (this will show you what device the Windows partition is, e.g. /dev/sda2)
sudo mkdir /path/to/new/mount/point (you're creating a directory to mount the partition to e.g. /mnt/windows)
sudo mount -t /dev/sdx <fstype> /path/to/new/mount/point (where sdx is the correct partition from fdisk and fstype is the filesystem)
mount (this will list mounted partitions, if everything's good, you'll see the windows partition listed)
If this is an NTFS partition, you may need to install ntfs-3g, but it may already be installed. In order for the partition to be mounted every time you boot up, you'll need to change /etc/fstab to accomodate.
thanks for the reply, i thought it might be that. i DO want the ntfs partition to automount on rebooot, where is the fstab file and what/how do i edit it?

thanks again
fstab is under /etc, I put that in my original post. You can edit it with either nano or vi. You best bet is to search on how to mount Windows partitions in Linux. There are tons of tutorials that spell everything out, and by search I mean a full web search, not an XBMC site search. Ubuntu's website has some, as do the ubuntu fora.
awesome, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
accessing windows files on dual boot system0