How do we replace occurrence of "special://skin/media/*"
Hello!

I'm in the final steps of releasing an updated version of Shade for Eden. Looking at the official repo guidelines, it says that: "Do not use special://skin/media/* as a path for images, this is incompatible with TexturePacker ".

So basically, my question is by what do we replace this path?

The images are located in : "skin.shade.eden.svn/backgrounds/". Should I put these images in "media/shade/background/"?

Thanks for any help!
(2012-04-03, 20:52)Balinus Wrote: Hello!

I'm in the final steps of releasing an updated version of Shade for Eden. Looking at the official repo guidelines, it says that: "Do not use special://skin/media/* as a path for images, this is incompatible with TexturePacker ".

The images are located in : "skin.shade.eden.svn/backgrounds/". Should I put these images in "media/shade/background/"?

Thanks for any help!

special://skin/backgrounds/*

If you put them in "media" folder they will end up being packed into textures.xbt.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2012-04-03, 21:01)pecinko Wrote:
(2012-04-03, 20:52)Balinus Wrote: Hello!

Thanks for any help!

special://skin/backgrounds/*

If you put them in "media" folder they will end up being packed into textures.xbt.

ok, thanks! I'll put them under "skin.shade.eden.svn/media/backgrounds/" then. Smile

It's only says not to use it for image you want packed in the Texture.xbt - as they're large, background ones then leave them where they are.
(2012-04-03, 21:23)Hitcher Wrote: It's only says not to use it for image you want packed in the Texture.xbt - as they're large, background ones then leave them where they are.

Oh I see. I thought all images should be "compatible" with Texturepacker. Anyhow, it clearly says "do not use special://skin/media/* as a path for images", which in my mind includes all images.

I guess I'll leave them where they are... less work! Smile
They're compatible but -

(2011-05-11, 00:22)jmarshall Wrote: The main reason for leaving large images out of the texture bundle is that they're loaded in a background thread then, which means the UI doesn't stall while it loads.
ok, thanks for the addtional info!
Still might be best to run it past the team though.
(2012-04-03, 21:35)Hitcher Wrote: Still might be best to run it past the team though.

What do you mean? Sorry, real newbie in this matter!
If they're backdrops (like fanart type stuff) then put them out separately. Basically anything that should be loaded in a background thread should not be in media/)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

And what it comment "Do not use special://skin/media/* as a path for images, this is incompatible with TexturePacker " means is
If you have something you don't want in the xbt then don't put it in the skins "media" dir, because when it gets added to the official xbmc repo everything in the media dir gets auto put into the Textures.xbt file. so your special://skin/media/ will no longer work because it wont be there it will be in the xbt instead
ok I understand now, thanks!

Though the comment on the wiki meant, for me, that any occurrence of "special://skin..." should be replaced to be compatible with Eden. Which now, doens't seem to be the case, from what I read here.
Mind giving a link to where it says this in the wiki, and we'll update it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sure, http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Off...guidelines

under "Requirements for skins".

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do we replace occurrence of "special://skin/media/*"0