tvheadend and hdhomerun
So, I was having a bunch of issues getting the dvbhdhomerun drivers to load before tvheadend started on xbmcbuntu, so then I would need to go in and restart tvheadend or reboot and then restart tvheadend. It was totally bumming me out!

So here's my solution in case anyone else is having troubles.

First, remove dvbhdhomerun-utils and tvheadend from startup:
Command Line Wrote:user@xbmc:~$ sudo update-rc.d -f dvbhdhomerun-utils remove
user@xbmc:~$ sudo update-rc.d -f tvheadend remove

Now create a new script named "start-tvheadend-right.sh" in /etc/init.d containing the following:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
service dvbhdhomerun-utils start
while [ ! -d /dev/dvb ]
do
        sleep 1
done
service tvheadend start

What this script does is start dvbhdhomerun-utils, then it checks every second for the dvb driver to load... when it loads it starts tvheadend. Yay!

Wait! You aren't done yet! Now you need to make the script executable and tell it to auto-start:
Command Line Wrote:user@xbmc:~$ sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/start-tvheadend-right.sh
user@xbmc:~$ sudo update-rc.d -f start-tvheadend.sh start 99 2 3 4 5 .

Rebooting should now make tvheadend start after the drivers are loaded. Good luck!
I just wanted to say thank you for this. I was tearing my hair out trying to get TVHeadEnd to work, and once I implemented your fix, everything worked PERFECTLY on my Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and HDHomeRun. Without this I would have given up on XBMC as a PVR. Thank you!

I'm glad it helped!
Thanks for this, best I could do was change the startup number, this is much more elegant.
thanks so much for this script!

Just to clarify the last command should be

Code:
user@xbmc:~$ sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/start-tvheadend-right.sh
user@xbmc:~$ sudo update-rc.d -f start-tvheadend-right.sh start 99 2 3 4 5 .
Hi All,

I don't knwo what I am doing wrong but i have tried this on 2 boxes, and have had no joy so far, seems i have to run the helpers then restart tvheadend again,

Can anyone shed any light or help explain a little bit more please?

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tvheadend and hdhomerun1