Buffering Problem - Foxconn NTA350
I just purchased the Foxconn NTA350 and I'm using 4GB of RAM with a Patriot 8GB USB drive for XBMC. I'm experiencing horrible buffering issues when trying to stream 1080 x264 content, but also typical 480 content so I'm guessing there is a configuration issue somewhere. The content resides on a NAS and is attached via a GigE network. I'm using the Fusion build of OpenElec. Also, FLAC music is streaming without any problems.

What information can I provide to help troubleshoot the issue? I've noticed the CPU utilization is extremely high, even when the system is "idle." I'm assuming the hardware is sufficient, and this is a software configuration issue; however, please let me know if that's not the case.

Thanks in advance.
I also have the Foxconn NTA350, using 2gb ram stick and a 60gb SSD in it. I'm using XBMCbuntu Eden.

I don't know about how to debug, but to give you another data point...
CPU usage appears high sometimes when using XBMC menus, and I had buffering problems when trying to stream video over the built-in wireless (could just be that wireless speed isn't up to the task). No problems with buffering when using GbE connection, plays 1080p h264 well.

There is noticeable tearing of video sometimes, more noticeable in moving scenes of course. For my purposes I'm not disappointed, especially given the price I paid. If OpenElec has OOTB config to help the tearing, I might give that a try.
I think I will give XBMCbuntu a try to see if I have the same issues. Thanks.
Followup on my wireless problems:
Apparently slow wireless speed with Ubuntu 10.10 and later is a known software issue, often affecting the Atheros ar9285 chip as used in the Foxconn NTA350 but affecting other chips as well. The solution is generally expected to be workaround with config.
If using the Atheros chip:
sudo echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
then reboot.
If that doesn't work:
sudo echo "options iwlagn 11n_disable=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn.conf
then reboot.

Unfortunately neither of those worked for me so far, and therefore wireless is still unusable -- can't keep up with even SD video streaming, speed test site reports approx 0.3Mbps where my wired computers get around 18.0Mbps. Next time I get a chance to play with it I'm going to try a few more things, such as installing a backports...cm... package, which some people say helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering Problem - Foxconn NTA3500