• 6(current)
XBMC Eden crashing
Same problems here. Skips cause crashing. Sometimes it can be from just one skip. Enabling logging seems to get rid of the problem. I can't seem to get a log file with the crash when debug is on.

Ask yourself this fellas... What is going on while debug is on that is fixing the issue?

PS... Is there a way to disable the OSD in debug mode? I have no problem letting it run in debug mode all the time if I can just get rid of the on screen display.
(2012-07-23, 06:50)mortyBox Wrote: PS... Is there a way to disable the OSD in debug mode? I have no problem letting it run in debug mode all the time if I can just get rid of the on screen display.

Take a look here

If you set the loglevel to 1 in that file, you will avoid the crash, but you won`t see any debug information on screen.
If I'm to understand the reason this hasn't been fixed correctly is due to the developers not being able to reproduce the bug?

Perhaps we could resolve this issue by having somebody who is able to compile different XBMC builds that have different functions of the debug mode commented out or otherwise disabled, and the people who have this problem can try those builds until they find the one that works? I think that would probably go a long ways towards figuring this out.

(my coding skills are limited to scripting languages and some C#, I don't have any confidence in my own ability to reliably tinker with code in a project as big as XBMC without causing some other problem in the process.)

I'll volunteer to test.
EDIT:

Although I am having a major major crashing problem now - this is NOT the skipping around while playing a video crash.
Either one of my thumbnails is corrupt or my database as the program is crashing every 5 minutes when navigating my movie library.
Not happy Sad but want to be sure the information in this thread is only for what seems to be the very random 'seeking' fault.

Any tips on how to fix my other issues?

EDIT2 / UPDATE:
I have isolated my crash down to a single movie file crashing XBMC as soon as it's scanned via the media scanner. I have no idea how or why it's occuring.
If anyone would like more information regarding this, please let me know. I can only assume this kind of information is useful to the developers.
*THIS IS NOT* the same bug as the skip back / forth bug - I can reproduce this one consistently (XBMC has crashed about 40 times today in me figuring out which file it was)

EDIT3 / UPDATE:
I have this file available if anyone would like a copy, to replicate the bug. I've done testing on a VM and can crash a fresh copy of XBMC.
However, the latest nightly does not crash.
The file is 300mb, anyone able to host it?

Again, new crash from xbmc with loglevel set to 1.
The log can be found here
Looks like it wont provide any extra information, but I still have hope for a fix to this bug...
I have a similar problem with XBMC 11, but mine appears to be more random. It can be triggered from scrolling in the main screen menus or it can be triggered by coming out of standby. But scrolling too fast for too long or skipping too fast does seem to trigger it with a small amount of consistency. These crashes do occure while I have debugging enabled. I have 2 different dmp files that are available

here
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47774168/xbmc_cr...224053.dmp

and here
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47774168/xbmc_cr...001737.dmp

About 1/3 of my crashes result in a BSOD. It flashes past too fast to get all the info off the BSOD but I can see that it is a stop error and that the code is 0x00000001. I just saw a Hotfix from MS that is supposed to address the BSOD, I will try that this evening.

I have been dealing with crashes related to this thread since I started using Eden. I have done fresh installs (deleting all files from the user profile) and I have done fresh OS installs with only XBMC added and still crashes with the same symptoms.

Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit
Core 2 duo 2.6
2GB ram
Intel MB DH61AH with onboard HD audio and video HDMI/DVI out
Remote is the MS Remote with ir dongle, ehome in device manager

I hope this helps find a solution

-Kevin
Unfortunately the crash dumps of eden won't help as we don't have the matching pdb file. Helpful would be a dump of a version listed here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/ where the pdb files are available.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I will install the latest and see what happens.
installed nightly 8-8-2012 on asrock 330 ion

immediate crash ( version of 06-08 works)

where can i find the logs or dumps?

just went back to -6-08 and it still works..

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...r_and_logs

since android branch was recently added try todays or later nightly as only bugfixes will now until end of the month.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I've now started experiencing this error after switching computers. I was previously running XBMC Eden on a Win 7 64bit computer with ATI HD 5450 for graphics and sound and an Intel Core 2 Duo. I used this set up for every single beta and RC all the way up to 11.0 and even a few nightlies beyond with absolutely no crashes relating to skipping. I recently (last week) built a new HTPC with an Intel Ivy Bridge 3570 that I am using the integrated graphics on (No dedicated card yet) and an Asus Maximus V Formula for sound processing. After installing XBMC on my new rig I began to experience random crashes during playback while skipping around in the videos just as other users have reported. As others have said it can happen after one skip or 100s but it will always happen without debug mode running. Hope this helps shed some light on the problem. Thanks to the devs for all the great work and I hope this is an issue we can get pinned down.
I have the same problem when I use remote and skip forward
In previous version it never happens but after I upgrade it started to crash every time...
im having this issue too. i have posted numerous logs in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139507 but not been sure if i had debugging on or off when posting as i was confused.

i too have a xbox 360 controller connected most of the time which i think may be partly related.
(2012-09-05, 05:47)cami Wrote: i too have a xbox 360 controller connected most of the time which i think may be partly related.

No Xbox 360 controller here. I had to go back to Dharma due to Eden freezing or crashing when skipping around in video files.
(2012-09-05, 08:08)crawfish Wrote: I had to go back to Dharma due to Eden freezing or crashing when skipping around in video files.

I also want to downgrade to previous version, are your settings and library preserved after you downgraded?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Eden crashing2