• 30(current)
A6-PACK ☆ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent!
(2012-05-06, 06:30)eskro Wrote: well, OCZ SSD's, they aren't recommended...

Actually, when I bought it September 2010, OCZ was HIGHLY recommended by someone who used to be as active on this forum as you are now. Many even called him the "XBMC hardware guru". Confused

Just goes to show how with this technology, nobody really knows anything. It all changes too rapidly to get a feel for what is good. I'm positive that some product you personally love now, will someday be "not recommended"
Wink
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-05-06, 08:38)maddog808 Wrote:

Actually, when I bought it September 2010, OCZ was HIGHLY recommended by someone who used to be as active on this forum as you are now. Many even called him the "XBMC hardware guru". Confused

Just goes to show how with this technology, nobody really knows anything. It all changes too rapidly to get a feel for what is good. I'm positive that some product you personally love now, will someday be "not recommended"
Wink

Maddog, I looked thru some of your posts, if you are having problems with a 60GB Vertex you may be okay.
My brother bought that drive and had problems with it. OCZ sent him a destructive flash with instructions. Based on the serial number of his drive, he was able to flash it to a TURBO! That was over a year ago and the drive is still running.
Contact OCZ and give them your serial number.

If that doesn't work out for you, that drive is End Of Life - you may get a better drive as a replacement.

Do you feel lucky? You may come out of this ahead of the game.

The Vertex has a Indilinx Barefoot controller.

(2012-05-06, 09:27)Driver 944 Wrote:
(2012-05-06, 08:38)maddog808 Wrote:

Wink

Maddog, I looked thru some of your posts, if you are having problems with a 60GB Vertex you may be okay.
My brother bought that drive and had problems with it. OCZ sent him a destructive flash with instructions. Based on the serial number of his drive, he was able to flash it to a TURBO! That was over a year ago and the drive is still running.
Contact OCZ and give them your serial number.

If that doesn't work out for you, that drive is End Of Life - you may get a better drive as a replacement.

Do you feel lucky? You may come out of this ahead of the game.

The Vertex has a Indilinx Barefoot controller.

That's great! I'm glad your brother lucked out like that! Mine is actually
Agility, not Vertex. I sent OCZ a RMA request last night with the serial number. We'll see what happens. Thanks, 944!! Big Grin
So much for the Turbo idea .... The Agility is still a Indilinx Barefoot controller and EOL.
Maybe I got 2 out of 3 right?

Best of luck!

Funny. My Seagate Momentus drive on my laptop just bit the dust for the second time last night, just reformatted the partition that the OS was on and am trying to reinstall Windows 7 with no luck (stays at 0% copying of files).

Knock on wood I'm on my second OCZ drive without issue thus far, outside of having to install new firmware on both right off the bat for them to work properly.

With this crap is seems the luck of the draw wins.

(2012-05-06, 06:38)Beer40oz Wrote: RIP Adam Yauch .....Beastie Boys ROCK!!!!!!

Dam I was listening to there album Hello Nasty this past Friday on my way to work... great album...

Ill Communication my favorite!

"Make Some Noise" Smile

...."....I said my name MCA I gotta license ta kill, I think you know what time it is.. it's time ta get ill. Now what do we have here, an outlaw and his beer,... I understand you understand ....I made myself clear!!!!!"

verse by MCA of the legendary group, The Beastie Boys

RIP (A true HipHop Pioneer)

Check it out! Classic Sh*t..

(2012-05-07, 00:26)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-05-06, 06:38)Beer40oz Wrote: RIP Adam Yauch .....Beastie Boys ROCK!!!!!!

Dam I was listening to there album Hello Nasty this past Friday on my way to work... great album...

Ill Communication my favorite!

"Make Some Noise" Smile

...."....I said my name MCA I gotta license ta kill, I think you know what time it is.. it's time ta get ill. Now what do we have here, an outlaw and his beer,... I understand you understand ....I made myself clear!!!!!"

verse by MCA of the legendary group, The Beastie Boys

RIP (A true HipHop Pioneer)

Check it out! Classic Sh*t..

Nice! I still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard that song. That whole album was an instant classic. So was "Check Your Head". My kids (3 & 5 years old) LOVE the song "Intergalactic". They made some of the most original music of their time. MCA will be missed by many.
i apologise if this has been answered previously, but is there any reason not to use the Antec ISK310-150 in this build? i cannot find any retailers of the 300-65 where i am. if i use the Antec ISK310-150 case, can the rest of the build reman the same?

thanks.
(2012-05-07, 02:08)bensl Wrote: i apologise if this has been answered previously, but is there any reason not to use the Antec ISK310-150 in this build? i cannot find any retailers of the 300-65 where i am. if i use the Antec ISK310-150 case, can the rest of the build reman the same?

thanks.

I used the 150 version in my build, the only real downside is the PSU isn't very energy efficient and will have a fan. No reason it would be incompatible with the other hardware mentioned here.

Personally I chose to replace the original one with a PicoPSU, which nearly halved the power consumption. Also the 150 case already has a suitable hole for PicoPSU connector - so no drilling required if you do decide to go the same route as me! Wink
Ok after some testing.......

This is all with Prime95 and the 65W stock brick......

Why it does a hard shut off......

Looks to be a RAM problem even doh MEMETEST says it's fine or it could be a mobo ram slot problem.

The testing was with out the LID on.....

I took RAM module #2 out and Primetest for 1 HOUR and no problems at all....
Doh because RAM #2 is not in only 2 workers out of 3 are running....... (weird)
(even I brought the temps up to 60C on the Apu with a hair dryer and no problems)

Now if I have both RAM modules in and Primetest for 5 minutes it does a hard shut off.
(I could not recreate it again so I got the hair dryer and at 55C bam it shut off)

So I looked at the capacitors on the board and they don't look abnormal.....

So it could be that RAM slot #2 is bad or RAM#2 stick is bad.......

Now I would like to test RAM#1 in slot #2 to see if the ram slot is to blame but to do this I need to take off my cooler..... Sad

I thought maybe it was a HEAT problem but apparently is not.
I guess the only way of knowing is taking out the cooler and then putting it back on. Even tho it's a bit of a work
(2012-05-07, 02:57)MrKay Wrote: I guess the only way of knowing is taking out the cooler and then putting it back on. Even tho it's a bit of a work

No big deal I do it tons of times... I am doing now to make sure it's not the motherboard....

Wink I cross my fingers that way I just get other ram....

I got no more DDR3 ram at the moment.... at least I can check with the RAm from SLot #1 to # 2....
Well moved Stick A to Slot B ...... took out the culprit and it passed Prime95 too.....
So both of my RAM slots are fine on my mobo......

Tested the bad ram on both slots and it failed...... hard shut off.....
(this has happened to me before on a biostar board, XBMC will minimize a lot with out notice it was a RAM problem)

So it all came down to the RAM from the looks of it.....

It is still doing a PRIME test..... 40 MIN in no problem... one good stick.....

Man .... Kingstone is such a reliable brand.... I got a crappy set this time.

Oh yes sometimes MEMtest86+ wont tell you it's bad..... I guess I can try the bad stick by itself and test it.....

Good thing I have 4 days so I can RMA or return....

Now I am going to order my most favorite brand Crucial
I am going to get some

Crucial Ballistix 4GB

They barely fit the Big SHuriken Look here at 4:40 but they fit with out hitting the cooler Smile

damn man, WTFOOK!

your right, Kingstone is such a reliable brand!!

this is nutz..

it comes to a point where we dont know what to get anymore...

man this sooks...

hope for the best on those new Crucial ram sticks!

cant beleive how fragile hardware is these days... not fair!!
(2012-05-07, 07:13)eskro Wrote: damn man, WTFOOK!

your right, Kingstone is such a reliable brand!!

this is nutz..

it comes to a point where we dont know what to get anymore...

man this sooks...

hope for the best on those new Crucial ram sticks!

cant beleive how fragile hardware is these days... not fair!!
That is why I said it is not just OCZ. I installed OCZ ssd for more than a year, and it have been working flawless. Bad thing can happen to any brand....it's the nature of electronics.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A6-PACK ☆ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent!10