LINUX - TIPS&TRICKS - How To Run Nightly XBMC Builds
Tried this on my Official 10.1 XBMCLive install today. Goes all the way through no problem, even boots into XBMC.

As soon as it does though, it freezes on the menu screen and does nothing.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated, do not want to have to reinstall the official live version, just to try to upgrade again.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
I think that nightly builds have been borked latest days. See this post
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327&page=47

Might be the reason for your problem, i haven't updated during this week because of this.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Worked well. Thanks.
Going to try this again from scratch as I have got no where.

I'm going to fully test this with a brand new live install and report the findings back here now.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Bearing in mind, I have just installed xbmclive.iso from the download page - I can no longer get XBMC Running after following the OP.
Code:
Error: unable to open display
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$]
Being NVidia ION, I can re-set up X Server using the install for their driver. Will try that and see if it repairs it.

Reinstalled the latest Nvidia Driver, which seems to reload/upgrade X Server. But XBMC still fails to load.
I get the first loading screen with the dots, then it drops to the tty1 login and I am using the 'new' XBMC autorun script.

Any clues? Is the Nightly's still broke?
Back to Dharma for me yet again then. Sad
DejaVu Wrote:Bearing in mind, I have just installed xbmclive.iso from the download page - I can no longer get XBMC Running after following the OP.
Code:
Error: unable to open display
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$]
Being NVidia ION, I can re-set up X Server using the install for their driver. Will try that and see if it repairs it.

Reinstalled the latest Nvidia Driver, which seems to reload/upgrade X Server. But XBMC still fails to load.
I get the first loading screen with the dots, then it drops to the tty1 login and I am using the 'new' XBMC autorun script.

Any clues? Is the Nightly's still broke?
Back to Dharma for me yet again then. Sad

after the rebuild, the kernel module isnt loaded, keep in mind you need to reboot to get the latest kernel module activated ...

regular procedure for me when X.org changes ...
Yep - that was after a reboot.
If you get problems with unmet depends try this:

try adding this ppa:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pulse-eight/libcec

then update and install pulse-eight and libcec
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
I followed the instructions, but I'm somehow unable to autostart xbmc. One thing I noticed when going thru this thread is I don't have the uxlaunch file, maybe that could be problem? Thanks for help.
Just in case someone looking for the same, I found other way to do the autostart, which works for me:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/init/tty1.conf
change the last line to

Code:
exec /bin/login -f xbmc </dev/tty1> /dev/tty1 2>&1

than
Code:
nano .bashrc
and at the end

Code:
if [ $(tty)=="/dev/tty1"]; then
startx /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone
fi

This did the trick for me (in the process I updated to latest nightly, which has broken music though Sad)
FYI

If anyone is wondering how to return to dharma after installing the unstable branch, here's how:

First install ppa-purge, this will allow us to reset all packages from the PPA to the standard versions:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

Then we want to purge the unstable branch ppa:
Code:
sudo ppa-purge ppa:team-xbmc/unstable

That's it! Big Grin
Hi All

What kind of nightly build are being installed by this script? As far as I know, unstable ppa contains latest beta versions. If you really want to go with nightly builds, use another ppa and issue the following:

add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly
apt-get update && apt-get install xbmc

This one might be sometimes not full stable, but also, some of the issues that you all may have experienced with unstable build are most likely fixed here.

Bart
This is not script and it's the official nightly builds by team xbmc.

I suggest you do not hijack this thread with nonsense about some unofficial repo!
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
repository doesn't work for Ubuntu 12.04

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LINUX - TIPS&TRICKS - How To Run Nightly XBMC Builds0