XBMC MySQL Library
J.,

Great. Thanks.

I think I understand, and it will make more sense with use, I'm sure.

BTW... Some quick feedback on the "new" pre-12 alpha.

1) I found that there is not a "Video goes directly to files" radio button option in the new settings... intentional feature or bug? (if intentional, then -1)

2) Great new color scheme. +1. Also great way to handle time and weather as well. Very polished !

3) If you moved the XBMC logo from the main menus... then I have to ask: why keep the big bold gray area on the bottom.?

I suggest lose that, and move the menu choce bar proportionally down the page (but not to the bottom, if that makes sense). That would allow for more of that nice blue photo blur pic to be seen... or any other artwork, for that matter. The icons down there for control will still function... so no big loss to lose the boring gray bar.

4) I don't use sets... and I didn't select sets... but a set was made anyway (disney animation). Can I suggest that sets have a toggle option to allow it not to be shown on teh main screen movie menu?

OK... that's my .02. As always, thanks for the help.

Vincent
4. I removed the Disney collection cause it made no sence at all. So if you want to get rid of it remove those movies and rescrape.
There is a switch in settings that will disable movie sets (they will still be scraped)
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
zebraitis: Feel free to comment on the new Confluence over in that thread.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-05-14, 02:09)jmarshall Wrote: zebraitis: Feel free to comment on the new Confluence over in that thread.

OK... moved. Done.

I have just a few more MySQL related questions to add to your wiki-think process:

* If I create a PROFILE, and place my advancedsettings.xml into the that profiles subdirectory... will the system then create a new MySQL Videos and Music DB specifically for that profile?

Pre-11 DB's had to be specifically named and manually created... now XBMC does this, so... will it do so for those profiles?

* Using the same exact profile name and advancedsettings.xml, I should be able to duplicate that profile on a second or third box... right?

* is there any way for a profile(s) to be persistantly selective and NOT display other profiles if I choose?

EXAMPLE: In the guest room, with an XBMC, I would like to have a GUEST profile set up there. That profile would display all videos but have everything unwatched (until the guest watches it, of course).

Right now, I would have to have a main profile... and the guest profile... right?

Is there anyway to create all these multiple profile names but then selectively choose which will be primary for that device... and then selectively choose which other profiles (but not necessarily all other profiles) that may be displayed?

So, guest can get Guest and Kids, but no access to Main, Fitness or Home Videos on teh profiles menu at startup.

However, I would still like Main, Fitness and Home Videos to potentially be accessible there... just not available to them at the main screen.

In other words, toggle / radio button options to select which profiles to display in System / Profiles.

In the meantime, any .xml that I could write that would force the preferred profiles menu choices?

Wow... lots of implications, this MySQL thing. That wiki will keep growing.

Will it someday be an option to just enter the MySQL serever name in System / Settings and let this all happen without an advancedsettings.xml?

Probably just before the holographic display options. Cool

Thanks,

Vincent

OMFG !!!

I just "did" my second XBMC instance...

I deleted my "old" Eden 11, loaded the same 13-May version as the first instance... tweaked some minor skin settings, exited... copied my advancedsettings.xml over... restarted...

> B A M < ... Everything is just... THERE !!!

Movies... TV Shows... Music... fanart... posters... banners...everything that previously took hours to set up correctly, and then had to be managed over time ... is now just ... THERE !!!

Conceptually, I understood what was going on, but... wow... just wow.

I don't even need "Videos" to be displayed as an option... I didn't have to define any of my sources... N A D A !!!

Done in about 5 minutes. It feels like it took longer to write this post than to set up my second instance.

That's it... I will donate AND I need to find a way to buy the team responsible for the MySQL changes some adult beverages!

v.
(2012-05-14, 00:22)jmarshall Wrote: Q1: Not completely, no.

A: When a client fetches movies out of the library, it's thumbnail and fanart properties are set to the URLs that are in the art table (i.e. that might be to a folder.jpg on your server, or to a http:// URL from themoviedb.org etc.).

B: When the thumbloaders or texture loading is done, we first check in Textures*.db to see if that image has been cached locally (to the special://xbmc/Thumbnails folders). If so, we use the local cached version. If not, we cache it and use that then. In addition, at this point we check to see whether the original image has changed or not (eg you copied a new folder.jpg over the old one). If it has, we schedule an update of the cached version (NOTE: This is not done for http:// images. For local images it's done on a 24 hour cycle).

Q2. When you update anything to do with a movie or show, the changes only go into the MyVideos64.db. As the URLs will differ (if you've changed the art) they'll automatically be picked up by the cache as per Q1.

Q3. This is completely separate. A backup of data to separate files will copy your locally cached information onto your server, as well as the .nfo file information. A backup of your library to a single file/folder structure now no longer copies the art, as all you need is the URLs to the art because we can always re-download them.

Q4. Same as today. You lose your database, you've lost your metadata. Recommended backup is to backup to a single file/folder XML periodically.

Now, I've really got to do this in the wiki, as otherwise I'll answer the same things over and over again Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

I don't mean to interrupt, but I just want to see if I'm getting this. Does this mean that we no longer need to keep a shared thumbnail directory with the MySQL server since each client will be able to maintain their own cache? If so that is simply awesome.
(2012-05-14, 21:57)WordMasterRice Wrote: I don't mean to interrupt, but I just want to see if I'm getting this. Does this mean that we no longer need to keep a shared thumbnail directory with the MySQL server since each client will be able to maintain their own cache? If so that is simply awesome.

Yes! Exactly!

With the current release, there is no reason to have a thumbnails/videos subdirectory, either on the local machine, OR shared on the network.

Also, there is no reason to have any sources defined on any except your primary XBMC box.

You set up sources on the primary box, scan, make changes and update there, and then all changes are replicated on all other instances of XBMC that are on your network.

F'n Magic ! Nod

As Jonathan said, it doesn't yet work for music, but with substitution for music you can make that "appear" to happen as well.

Here is a copy of my advancessettings.xml that works for me. You will need to change server names and IP Addresses to reflect your environment:

---------------------------------------

<advancedsettings>

<!-- This should force smaller picture size -->
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>

<!-- This defines where the shared thumbnails source is located -->
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Music/</from>
<to>smb://zebraitis:1@ZebraitisServ2/xbmc_thumb_cache/Music/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

<!-- This creates my main databases in MY SQL -->
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.15.14</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.15.14</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>

<!-- This ensures that a movie is not marked as watched until 90% of film has been played -->
<video>
<playcountminimumpercent>90</playcountminimumpercent>
</video>

<!-- This increases the number of recently added and also imports watched state -->
<videolibrary>
<recentlyaddeditems>100</recentlyaddeditems>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>

<!-- This creates an unlimited buffer for internet based streaming -->
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
</network>

</advancedsettings>

Note that you will need to define your sources on your other machine at the moment for some things (eg if you want to mess around in files view on the client in question). I don't think you need them if you never leave the library nodes, however.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

what happens when the primary xbmc machine has to be reinstalled or replaced?

I setup mysql on one machine, i've since retired that machine and replaced it (re-used the hard drive though so all data is gone), I now can't edit my sources since they do not show up in the Files view. I tried to re-add the sources but ended up getting duplicate movies / tv shows. Any way to edit the sources?
The sources are defined on the client in sources.xml. The path content, however, is defined in the database. Thus, if you get dupes, it's because your paths have changed in some way. Compare with the paths in your database and make sure you set them the same.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Looking forward to the updated wiki article.

I currently use path substitution for thumbnails. What would be the advised procedure to switch to mysql thumbnail integration?
(2012-05-16, 15:08)lowfi Wrote: Looking forward to the updated wiki article.

I currently use path substitution for thumbnails. What would be the advised procedure to switch to mysql thumbnail integration?

Just update all clients to the same nightly build and then remove the pathsub entry from your advancedsettings.xml file.
I tested the new nighties and the new thumbnail cache very briefly but it resulted in much poorer performance compared to using path substitution. TV shows browsing felt pretty smooth but navigating a movie library with just over 120 titles was terrible. This was on OSX, with NFS media sources on UnRAID box, accessed over wireless N.

But now that i think of it, maybe it was still caching the thumbs and fan arts? I didn't do any comparison with mysql tables and cache tables though.

Will definitely check later, this is a huge improvement.
toiva, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131624
I have tried the new patch (as per http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131624) and it is now usable (probably equivalent to Eden in performance) Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC MySQL Library0